Useful boy's/girls's tool for condensation

Linny

Now the time of year for condensation on boat windows is upon us, thought I would let you know that I use a Karcher WV50 Window Vac which is absolutely marvellous for taking off the water. It is of course meant for cleaning house windows, but it's great on the boat. One charge of the battery will do the whole house windows - so for the boat it lasts many days on one charge. Lots of people have seen me using mine and said what a good idea it was, so decided to mention on here to inform others. I got mine on Amazon for £48 and has been worth every penny. No more wet rags!

• Like 1

Have just had a look at this on Amazon and one review said the battery life was about 10 mins.   Is that correct would you say.     Also it is ok to demist the windows on the boat but dont they just huff (my word) up immediately so you are back to square one?    Sorry for the questions but am thinking of getting one for 'yours truly' for part of his Christmas bits and bobs.

I don't know where they got 10 mins from; ours lasts considerably longer than that. Possibly they didn't follow the initial charge instructions?

As for demisting the windows, they will remove nearly all the moisture but if the internal air is still near its dew-point they'll only mist up again... better to get some fan-heat on them.

I was certainly happy to get mine last Christmas!   :grin:  (P.S. Screwfix had a better deal than anyone else back then).

Been using one for a couple of seasons now on my Hampton 25, I usually get about two weeks out of it without re-charging, takes me around 5 minutes to do all my windows, only seem to have to use it first thing in the morning or if it's really cold I may have to do a few when the wife is cooking or the kettle is on, once we are up and about we don't seem to get much more condensation, I presume that's because of our bodies warming the boat, have to say it's the best buys I've made, £48 may seem a lot but if you work out what you spend on kitchen rolls and stuff it soon pays for itself, sometimes I've used a whole roll cleaning the windows, we also get a lot of condensation on our windows at home so we use it there a lot as well, it's supposed to be for cleaning windows but so far all I use it for is clearing condensation,,,,

Regards Frank,,,

I’m usually all for time saving, helpful gadgets...but this...really?

I am actually gobsmacked!

£50.00 odd for a unit that has to be charged up and seems to basically have a rubber blade and a ‘vacuum’ so the water will collect in the tank and have to still be emptied.

I guess I am ‘old fashion’ in this area, simply use a Squeegee and a few sheets of kitchen towel to dry the blade and catch the drips.  Throw the damp paper towel away job done.

To have to go to a cupboard, get the machine out slowly do it on the windows while the motor whirs away needing to keep it ‘upright’ and then empty the container int eh sink and put the unit back – not just a little bit too much...

Ahh well maybe I am just alone there

• Like 1

Oh you kill joy Robin... :norty:   Know what to get you for Christmas - some kitchen roll.  (Sorry only joking)   I will have a look see on Screfix.      

I know it is early but anyone has any other ideas for presents for chaps , who seem to have everything these days I for one would be grateful.

I think your alone Robin, :naughty:  it's a gadget and all men like gadgets, even if we don't know how half of them work :shocked I don't care what they do as long as it's a man gadget or shiny, to be honest I bought mine for the home, to tight to pay a window cleaner plus we get lots of condensation on the inside of our windows, I had it in the car for some reason when we went to the boat, so I tried it and have used it ever since, I agree with the above post the small blade is better for the boat, I ever clean the outside of the boat windows now,, 

Regards Mow,,

Hylander! got this back from Karcher,,,,,Thank you for your recent email, unfortunately there is no other way to re charge the unit other than the 240v.

Kind Regards

Claire Stratford

Home and Garden Support Team

I still think there's a way to charge it from 12v by adapting the original charger lead, (You'd need a Spare lead)

the bit that plugs into the unit is a twin connector and the main plug is 5.5v 600mA output, so I can't see it being that hard to convert,,

Regards Frank,,,

• 3 weeks later...