Fenders

mickfreakley

I've always thought the neatest method is to splice an eye in one end of the rope, then pass the rope through the fender eye then the eye splice.

It's neater than knots and the fender can still be removed easily whenever the rope needs washing.

I splice my own, but most chandlers stock ready made fender tails, short lengths of rope with the eye splice ready made.

post-195-0-69480600-1379289988_thumb.jpg

Hi Strowager,

I have to agree that spliced ropes do look the best and if you can do splicing or any other rope work you get the appreciation of a job well done.

You require a few  basic tools that are not expensive and after doing a few rope ends will have paid for the cost of the tools rather than pay up to £4 per end of a rope at some chandlers.

Regards

Alan

I've always thought the neatest method is to splice an eye in one end of the rope, then pass the rope through the fender eye then the eye splice.

It's neater than knots and the fender can still be removed easily whenever the rope needs washing.

I splice my own, but most chandlers stock ready made fender tails, short lengths of rope with the eye splice ready made.

we found that in tight spaces the fenders would pull the rope and break the fender (although they did not have reinforced eyes)

I think you should be able to find someone willing to practice their splicing in exchange for a pint...

....I think you should be able to find someone willing to practice their splicing in exchange for a pint...

I was trained how to splice 40 years ago by the distinctly non-nautical sounding GPO !

It was required there for heavy cable installation in ductwork, where the winch strain was several tons.

An enduring memory was the fact that a knot reduced the breaking strain of a plaited rope by 50%, whereas a splice did not.

Consequently the instruction was very strict, with interminable orders of "do it again" !!

So nautical splicing on small recreational craft is far less demanding.   :naughty: