Conflict of Wings - 1954 film

AdnamsGirl

I've been alerted to the fact that someone has uploaded the entire 1954 feature film "Conflict of Wings" to YouTube.

This was set and filmed on the Norfolk Broads and is a fantastic period piece ... and quite a good film too! Filmed on Hickling Broad and surrounding area and also in Ludham village. Well worth a watch if you have time to spare!

Carol

• Like 2

Sorry Carol, I thought it was awful.  :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: Although the village, pub, waterway and beach scenes were nice pastiches of the era and the film just oozed with British character actors, always nice to see, the story and production was woefully sentimental anti-establishment twaddle! The average IMDb vote is 7/10 and its popularity is up 11% this week. I gave it 3/10.

Fred

Sorry that you didn't enjoy the film Fred. I must confess that it must have been six or seven years ago that I saw it ... maybe I am remembering it with Broads nostalgia tinted spectacles!  :smile:

It does have to be said that I'm known for liking some cheesey old films though. I do remember there being lots of dodgy, supposed Norfolk accents (as usual!). I've bookmarked it to watch again once winter sets in.

Carol

• Like 1

I agree, quite a poor film overall, despite the cast.

I watched it right through, for the first time ever, last night.

The plot was very poor, and the "local" character portrayals were very bland.

The only interest to me was the locations, Ludham and Hickling, and  Duxford. 

(Good views of the old "Belfast" hanger at Duxford that got blown up so spectacularly in the Battle of Britain film).

I'm quite an anorak for films of that era too, Ealing comedies etc.. I'm amazed that I'd never even heard of this one before. It must have been consigned to the bin very quickly.

As a lover of old films I think what makes a lasting good one from just becoming dated is either a strong character or characters or a very good story. Examples would be "Sing as you go" which production wise is abysmal but is still very enjoyable and "Dead of Night" which although now dated  has such a strong story it grips the attention. 

Fred

... I think what makes a lasting good one from just becoming dated is either a strong character or characters or a very good story. ...

Absolutely, and it's surprising how those basic assets are far more essential than large budgets, CGI, or an expensive cast.

The original "12 Angry Men" springs to mind. Shot entirely within the small jury deliberation room, it's a compelling film from start to finish. Revealing so many aspects of human nature.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a picture of the film being made on location in Ludham on this page of the Ludham Archive website http://www.ludhamarchive.org.uk/nita.htm (scroll down a bit).

William Mervyn was one of the actors in the film. He was so impressed by Ludham that he bought Folly house and lived in the village until he died. Folly house had (then) a large garage where he kept his collection of cars.

Nigel

Ludham