Venition blinds on boats

mickfreakley

I found them very practical in several of my boats.

Cheap, clean, and no condensation or musky damp problems.

Easy to cut to exact size, length, drop, and even taper.

Easy to regulate sun glare but still able to see out.

One strong recommendation I'd make though, pay a little extra and get aluminium rather than plastic. Much more durable, and won't melt if near a cooker or heater !

I found them very practical in several of my boats.

Cheap, clean, and no condensation or musky damp problems.

Easy to cut to exact size, length, drop, and even taper.

Easy to regulate sun glare but still able to see out.

One strong recommendation I'd make though, pay a little extra and get aluminium rather than plastic. Much more durable, and won't melt if near a cooker or heater !

Thanks for your reply, how did you fix them to the boat and how do you secure them on a slopping front window?

Thanks for your reply, how did you fix them to the boat and how do you secure them on a slopping front window?

The standard included fitting kit works fine in a boat, small box sections at the top that hold the ends of the main top unit, and allow it to be removed for cleaning.

Most blind kits have end clips for the bottom runner which can stop them banging around if the boat is rocking in a wash.

As for sloping front windows, I just run two taut nylon cords fixed at the top and bottom resting against the inside face of the blind.  It then just rests against it, even when partially raised, at any angle of slope.

The standard included fitting kit works fine in a boat, small box sections at the top that hold the ends of the main top unit, and allow it to be removed for cleaning.

Most blind kits have end clips for the bottom runner which can stop them banging around if the boat is rocking in a wash.

As for sloping front windows, I just run two taut nylon cords fixed at the top and bottom resting against the inside face of the blind.  It then just rests against it, even when partially raised, at any angle of slope.

Thanks for the reply you have been a great help. One last question now then, are we saying any domestic blind manufactured blind will do?

Thanks for the reply you have been a great help. One last question now then, are we saying any domestic blind manufactured blind will do?

Perish the thought of the cost of a dedicated marine version of a venetian blind !

They'd probably be a hundred quid each.    :rolleyes:  

I've always just bought the cheapest domestic white alluminium 1" slat venetian blinds, usually from Ebay.

They've always lasted indefinitely in the boat, with no corrosion problems etc..

Usually around £10 each, depending on size.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sop=15&_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=venetian%20blind%20aluminium&_fscr=1

There's also the option of roller blinds, I have fitted domestic blackout blinds on my Hampton 25, not a lot of difference in fitting them, all I did was leave the bottom stiffener bar a bit longer than the blind, and fitted a hook each end on the wall, roll it down, hook the bar under the hooks and just pull the cord so it locks under the hooks, job done, personally I don't like venetian blinds, for some reason my boat is a dust trap and the ones that were on there when we got her needed dusting every day,

Regards Frank,,,