Ruby Emblem - I miss her

neilp1962

It's a bit late coming, but I've loved reading people's tales of their boating holidays since February when I booked my week long cruise, so I really should try and pass on my experiences. The fact is I've just looked through my holiday pictures while drinking a decent Islay malt and I'm feeling a bit nostalgic, it's a month since we handed her back and I wish, I really wish I hadn't had to. Here we go......

We hired Ruby Emblem from Ferry Marina in Horning for a week in mid-August, we booked her without really trawling through all the different websites for competive pricing, we just liked the look of her so credit card in hand and a few clicks on the computer and this year's holiday was sorted. You have no idea what I've regretted buying with a credit card, a computer and a bottle of Bunnahabhain (I don't drink it all that often...honest), but as you'll read there are no regrets here. Once committed I spent six months studying everything I could find about boating on the Norfolk Broads, I was determined not to be one of those hirers that people point at disapprovingly as they rampage around the rivers causing carnage wherever they go. I was going to be the one that revelled in the nods of approval from more experienced captains than me, I was going to be a success. It didn't quite turn out like that but I managed not to sink the boat and so I'm going to call myself a success. Actually before I start I want to thank the people from this and other forums who with their knowledge and experience and their willingness to impart same, make quite a daunting prospect seem very familiar and possible. In particular if anyone happens to be reading this and are looking for some inspiration have a click on http://www.norfolkbroadsboathire.biz/ it's a mine of information. Robins (Londonrascal) holiday tales and Youtube videos also whetted my appetite considerably so thanks for that Robin, it's a huge effort from you and you should know it's worthwhile.

A little bit of background info, as a party we were myself, my wife Bev, our 16 year old son Adam and a Heinz 57 called Alfie. Our eldest old son Daniel was supposed to come with us on his Summer break from University, but he got himself a Summer job and so he stayed behind and looked after the house/drank all my booze/ate all our food etc. We originally looked at canal boat holidays but I didn't very much like the way I would be at the back by myself while everyone else was at the front when we were cruising. I then looked at the broads and the look of the boats, their layouts and luxury had me hooked. We chose Ruby because she had three seperate bedrooms which could remain made-up all week ie. we didn't need the settee to be made into a bed every night. She also looked lovely and I liked the way we would effectively be outside with the sliding roof retracted if we had good weather. I later discovered that she's an Aquafibre Pearl 38 and this style of boat generally gets very good reviews so i was well chuffed with my *cough* well thought out choice of broads cruiser *cough*. I don't always get good luck but I certainly did this time. I wholeheartedly recommend this sytle of boat, there are newer versions and older models, but you would find it hard to convince me there is a better all-round design than a centre-cockpit cruiser. I didn't once get boat envy, sure there were bigger, flashier, sexier looking boats on the river, but I didn't once wish I'd paid the extra several hundred pounds it would have cost me to hire one of those. Ruby was perfect, she didn't once let me down, she was all I'd hoped for and she'll stay long in my memory.

We booked Friday to Friday instead of Saturday to Saturday, and there was some logic behind this. A big part of our plans was to head south because we wanted Adam to have something in his holiday apart from just being on a boat. Pleasurewood Hills Theme Park and Africa Alive Wildlife Park were on the agenda, so here was the plan. Most changeovers are on a Saturday (big assumption from me) so the further away from the hire yards you get on a Friday night  the better the chances of nabbing a good mooring, right? Everyone would be mooring close to their home-yard so a not too early start would be needed to hand the boat back seemed logical. Given that we were heading south I reckoned that a Friday start would increase the chances of a nice mooring at the Stracey Arms and a takeaway Tapas would accompany a bottle of Rioja very nicely. This worked out out very well with regard to the mooring, but not so good regarding the Tapas. I'll explain later. We enjoyed magnificent weather, we burned to a cinder and i wished I'd bought a hat. We ate too much and drank almost enough and we loved everything, every single little thing about our holiday (except an over-zealous BA assassin in Reedham...more about him later) and we will be back, often. On with the tale, I'll get through it over the next few days so stay with me......

Here's a picture showing that even Alfie was pleased to be there. This was about 6.30pm and there were only 3 or 4 boats at Stracey Arms. Friday starts.....I told you it's the best way.

post-789-0-75194400-1379628859_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Day 1 - Friday 16th August 2013.

We left home in Durham at 6.00am, making good progress down the A1 until we reached Newark and had to turn onto single carriageway roads. Then the trip through 'Englands garden' between field of cabbages and sprouts was torment as we came behind rows of cars trailling tractor after tractor. I don't like to be disparaging but farmers really should work nightshift so I can get to my holiday early, and incidentally, if farmers are so clever why do they always put the gate in the muddiest part of the field?

Anyhow, we got through Norwich and stopped at Tesco for essentials (beer/wine/hot dogs) and the original plan of lunch in Wroxham was shelved due to farmers and their tractors with 50 foot trailers towed behind. Not to worry, we're in serious holiday mood now and as we go over the bridge, giving a wave to the webcam, the sight of all the boats has me like a child at Christmas. We've had some lovely holidays, we've done the package deals in hot climates, we've gone all-inclusive in the sun, we once managed to afford a villa with a pool in Menorca but I can honestly say I've never been so worked up and fixated about my annual holiday. It's strange and hard to explain but taking charge of a bloody great boat and cruising around at not much more than walking pace has had me lying awake with excitement for weeks. I hope it's not going to be a let-down.

A brief stop in Horning village because my work expenses need to be posted as there's a boat-size credit card bill to pay, and we arrive at Ferry Marina bang on 2 o' clock. The yard is really busy and Ruby is still being prepared, my thoughts of Friday starts seem ill-thought out as everyone in the world is here trying to get their boat. One optimistic guy has been here since 9.00am, and he's further down the queue than we are. I don't care, I didn't come here to get stressed out, I'm officially on holiday and the pub's open. Sitting by the river with a shandy (there's a first) and there's nowhere I'd rather be. What's really pleasing is Bev and Adam are just as thrilled as I am, this is going to be a good holiday. I wish Daniel was here.

It would have been three by the time we'd been instructed, loaded the boat and cast off down river. Ruby behaved beautifully, there was very little zig-zagging going on and I assumed I looked the part of a seasoned sailor. It's worth noting that I did a thorough job of instructing my crew about life jackets, tying and untying mooring lines and general boatmanship which they performed perfectly when it was time to leave our stern-mooring at the yard. However they were sadly let down by me as I eased the throttle forward and the boat accelerated across the river only for me to hit reverse in a panic as I had blocked the path of several boats coming from both directions. Of course the current had taken us a little off our mooring spot and with other boats moored there was nowhere for me to go. Fortunately I was waved out and away we went with me blaming everyone but myself. This was something that happened almost all week, I could manage every part of handling the boat perfectly well, my mooring, stern mooring, rope skills, steering were all good enough but I could not look up and down river to check for traffic before departing a mooring. I have no idea why and I annoyed several people but fortunately no harm was done. Strange though, it was like a metal block.

Down river towards Stracey Arms we went, blissfully settling into the pace of a boating holiday. Bev unpacked everything while I got used to the feel of Ruby, one thing I want to point out because it's relevent later in the week is there is a measured quarter mile which I used to calibrate the device i was using to keep check on my speed. I was using my iphone with the Navfree satnav app, it worked brilliantly on the river and has a speed display which I wanted to check was accurate. Now if you're doing 5mph it will take you 3 minutes to cover 1/4 mile. If you travel that 1/4 mile in less than 3 minutes you are going faster than 5mph, if it takes longer than 3 minutes to cover that distance then you are travelling at less than 5mph. It took me 3 minutes and 7 seconds to do that 1/4 mile with an indicated 5mph on the iphone, so I was satisfied that I could use this for my speed monitoring. It was certainly more accurate than looking at a rev counter which is the instructed method. I only point this out, and I'm aware it's a bit anal, but something happened later in the week which annoyed me. I'm very very sensitive to the notion that we must do everything to stop eroding the riverbanks with excessive speed. I was quite obsessive about it all week and I believe I didn't exceed the speed limit at all. However I was accused of it by someone with a megaphone and it irked me. I'll explain all.

We passed Acle Bridge, the pub looked lovely but Tapas was on the menu tonight, and a bit further on we moored briefly at Stokesby to see if the shop was open. My first mooring went fine, there was loads of space so there was no pressure and my crew and I did our jobs pretty darned well for first-timers. When we left an equally professional departure was ruined as I pulled out straight into the path of another boat. There's a pattern emerging here.

Stracey Arms moorings were almost empty, as I had cunningly planned so another uneventful but satisfying mooring had us tied up and off the boat by about 6.30pm. We had time for a quick look at the animals at the shelter and Adam and I climbed the windmill for a nice view all the way to Great Yarmouth. It was very hot, so I suggested that we call in to the Tapas place and ask if we could have a drink outside at their tables by the door before getting a takeaway later on to take to the boat. We couldn't eat inside the restaurant because we had the dog, so this seemed like a good idea. We had read on here and on tripadvisor that they did offer a takeaway service, but they refused us. Thinking about it I now believe that the waiter was confused and thought we only wanted a drink outside, which he refused although I don't know why. I don't think he understood that we also wanted food later and I could have explained this better. Never mind, we got back on the boat and set off for Stokesby hoping that there would still be free moorings - rule of Friday remember, Stokesby is a long way from the boatyards on a Friday night. Not far enough it seems as it was full. Onwards to Acle bridge we went, surely there would be room for just one more little boat. Nope, it was full, apart from one sort of space that maybe I could squeeze into but I wasn't confident enough. Pulling out in front of a boat for the third time in one day when we left Stracey Arms had rattled me.

It was sunset when we moored up back at Stracey Arms, there were a few more boats than when we left but not many, it's seems to be a good Friday night spot, and I can recommend hotdogs and Rioja for supper. We slept well enough, I woke a few times and had to look outside to check we weren't drifting down the river but I got over that fear quickly enough.

More to follow but here's a picture of Ruby at 6am the next morning. It was so quiet and peaceful.

Neil

post-789-0-29063700-1379636239_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Day 2 - Saturday 17th August 2013

Despite being on a relaxing hoiday I had set my alarm for 6.00 this morning. I'm always an early riser but the reason for getting up this early was so that I could walk Alfie, make breakfast and get to Great Yarmouth by 9.00am. As previously mentioned we wanted Adam to enjoy his holiday so a day where he could blow some money in the amusements etc was planned. Also Alfie loves the sea so this was a chance for him to run free for a while without us constantly watching for him going overboard. We tried not to stick to a timetable too much throughout the week, but as everyone knows time and tide wait for no man and on a couple of days the trip through Yarmouth and across Breydon Water were time-dependent, this was one of those days. Low-slack water was published as being just after 2pm that day so to get a decent bit of time at Yarmouth we needed the early start.

Bev looks after us so well all year that on holiday I try to do as much as possible so that she can just relax for a week. This includes me walking the dog first thing and making breakfast so after a magnificent feast of tea and toast (forgot marmelade when we shopped) we were first away from the moorings and away very gently on tickover downstream with the ebbing tide taking us onwards towards the rising sun. I should point out that this time I did not pull out in front of an approaching boat, which is lucky because I hadn't checked again. This is what I'd dreamed of all those months, those times in my car between appointments or lying in bed where my imagination had me already on holiday everyday since February. Not a soul to be seen, only me, Ruby, wildlife and the sun in my eyes. Bev was going through her morning routine somewhere else on the boat and Adam was still snoring. I'm sure you've all experienced this and if I had to use one word to describe it it would be 'peace'. No sales targets, no angry customers, no horrific news on tv, no bills in the post, just......peace.

We saw no one until passing the old marina where a herbert woods boat was cruising upstream. A wave and a shout of 'could be worse' and on we both went. I'd studied the tides, and I'd seen Robin's video of what an Ebb tide looks like through Great Yarmouth, so I was getting a little anxious about mooring. How would I control the boat in this torrent of water I was going to encounter any second, how would I turn around in a narrow space to moor into the tide as I'd learned you had to do. Was I about to smash Ruby sideways into a low bridge? It turns out that arriving approximately half way between high and low tide means there's hardly any flow at all today, I stopped the boat mid-stream to see how fast I would be moving in the tide, not much was the answer so I relaxed a bit. The yacht station was about 1/3 full and there was a long space just before the showers so I slowed and started to think about where to turn, crew were up and ready with life jackets on and starboard ropes in hand ready for when I'd turned. Then two terrific wardens appeared, gave clear instructions to slowly head straight for them, they took the port and starboard bow lines from Adam and let the tide turn Ruby gently around to face where we'd just come from with Ruby's rear end gently nudging the river bank. The wardens did everything, they tied Ruby so we didn't have to worry about the river height dropping and I was very impressed with their professionalism and pleasant demeanor.

I've read some bad things about Great Yarmouth, "don't stop" being about the jist of it but I'm going to paint a different picture. If it was just Bev and I then I don't think it would be our cup of tea. The nice cafe at Oulton Broad is where we'd prefer our cup of tea, but when you have children to entertain it's actually very good and they don't rip you off like other places do. It was busy and noisy, but it was clean and people were pleasant and everything was good value. Loads of places had dog water bowls outside and we generally enjoyed it very much. A coffee and teacake were served at an outside table with a genuine smile from a waitress who had time to ask how were enjoying our holiday. If you haven't been then consider going, decide for yourself if it's nice or awful. My view is that it does the british seaside thing better than anywhere else I've been. Back at the boat we prepared Ruby for departure, I had to lift Alfie down to the deck using the handle on his life jacket as the water level had dropped about 4 feet. As we were about to leave those helpful wardens came across, this time taking the stern lines and letting the last of the Ebb tide bring the bow around so we could just move away at an angle towards Breydon. Thanks guys, I don't know what I was worried about.

The trip over Breydon water went fine, with only one little issue. I thought about seeing what Ruby would do on this stretch with no speed limits, but I decided she needed to be cared for and respected so 2000 rpm saw us doing 7mph with the tide and wind behind us. You have to be so watchful all the time though, I was well into the channel away from the marker posts but having turned for just a few seconds to talk to Bev we were suddenly very very close to a post. The wind had moved us so fast without us knowing and I could see how people get stuck. It's so easy to do, I've tutted with the best of them when I've seen news about hire craft running aground but it's easy for a novice to do this, frighteningly easy.

Keeping left onto the Waveney we passed Burgh Castle, St. Olaves and Somerleyton on our way to our pre-booked mooring at the Waveney River centre. We saw a couple of Otters swimming and my new binoculars bought specially for the holiday came in handy for a close look at birds I'd never seen before. As we approached Somerleyton bridge we passed a very tall, very nice private boat which was holding station mid-river. We got through fine but he needed the bridge to open and I thought no more about it. A while later I got quite a fright because this same boat came rocketting past us with a bow wave you could surf on. Idiot. When we arrived at WRC we had to wait in the entrance to the marina because that same boat was making such a hash of stern mooring and was blocking the way. He took ages and he bumped the boat next to him several times with the owner of that boat having to fend him off. My first ever stern moor on the other hand went as well as I could have hoped, straight in about 2 feet from my neighbour without even the benefit of bow thrusters. Beginners luck at it's best but I really enjoyed showing the 'professional' how it's done.

We had a nice walk to that church with a thatched roof, then a shower and a pretty good pub meal on site before retiring to the boat to watch one of Adam's gruesome horror films he'd brought with us. We were woken up later on though by the loud revving of a boat engine, followed by an almighty splash which rocked our boat quite badly. I went outside and our neighbour had returned to his boat from the pub to find the water level had dropped but the lip at the stern of his boat was caught on the mooring. He'd tied too tight and he had to drive the boat off the quay heading under full power or he'd have had an even worse problem.

We slept like logs after that, tired and happy.

A couple more pictures attached.

Neil

post-789-0-64987900-1379666055_thumb.jpg

post-789-0-54302900-1379666099_thumb.jpg

post-789-0-05569200-1379666135_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Day 3 - Sunday 18th August 2013

I woke up without the benefit of an alarm at 7.00am to find another sunny day waiting for us. Coffee for me, taken in the stern well with Alfie sniffing about patiently for his morning walk. Afterwards Bev and I walked up to the swimming pool hoping for a dip but there was quite a queue and as they limit numbers in the pool we abandoned that idea. we stocked up on items from the very good site shop, used their excellent toilet facilities and off we went, heading for hopefully a mooring at the Wherry Hotel - Oulton Broad. The plan for today was for Bev to take Adam to Africa Alive Wildlife Park in a taxi, while Alfie and I would chill out for the day mooching around the park etc. I thought I might selflessly try a pint at the hotel, just to make sure it was a suitable place to go with Bev later, I'm all heart.

It's a short but pleasant cruise from the Waveney River Centre to Oulton Broad which takes about 45 minutes. As we headed towards the hotel we had to pass through dozens of sailing craft which were obviously in an organised race and I couldn't really see where to go, but I was directed to proceed slowly through and everyone managed to miss me and I wasn't shouted at so it must have been ok. There were only a couple of other boats at the Wherry Hotel, including the lovely Ranworth Breeze and I attempted my second stern mooring in two days, again it went ok but mainly because I had lots of space. I'm not sure how I'd manage if I had to squeeze between two boats, I didn't have to find out all week fortunately. I mentioned earlier the boat at WRC which had become stuck, and people have quite rightly pointed out that it's due the the 'corragated' nature of the quay heading and fenders disapearing into the ridges. The Wherry Hotel has really severe 'ridges' which even the large ball type fenders on Ruby's stern fit inside snuggly, and this concerned me a lot. I spent a long time thinking about this, I was going to stay here overnight and I didn't want to end up stuck like my neighbour last night, but more importantly Ruby was mine for the week, and I was going to look after her as best I could. I took a couple of fenders from the side of the boat, and managed to hang them in positions on the stern which meant that if the ball type were in the ridges, the 'side' ones were not, and vice-versa. I don't know if that made sense but Ruby got through unscathed so it's all good.

Bev and Adam disapeared on their day out and I suddenly wondered how on earth I was going to entertain myself all afternoon. Since it was almost noon I opened a small bottle of beer while I thought about it and sat and read the paper for a bit. Alfie was a bit strange today, I don't know if he felt insecure because of the strange surroundings coupled with bev and Adam disapearing, but I couldn't get him to go for a proper walk. I managed to get him as far as the park a couple of times, but he literally stuck all four paws into the ground and getting him any further would have meant dragging him and ploughing a furrow through the park. We therefore just enjoyed the afternoon in the sun, me sitting in a chair in the stern well (a couple more beers might have been opened, but don't tell Bev), Alfie at my feet. I had several nice conversations with customers from the hotel who wanted to know all about boating, and I think I may have convinced some of them to give it a try.

Bev and Adam returned about 6pm, absolutely gushing about how good Africa Alive is and what a great time they'd had. She highly recommends it for a day away from the boat, but be warned, the taxi fare was almost £40 return. Adam then surprised me with his maturity, as he often does. He's actually 15 not 16 as I said in a previous thread (typo) and when he heard about how Alfie had been stressed he said he would happily miss out on Pleasurewood hills the next day, and that he loved being on the boat so much he'd prefer to stay with Ruby. The original plan was to cruise to Somerleyton early next day, then Adam and I would get the bus to Pleasurewood Hills and a taxi back, with Bev taking her turn to stay with Alfie. If Alfie was as bad as he was today then Bev would have a very boring day by herself sitting on the boat so we re-hashed the plans for the rest of the week. We would leave a bit later tomorrow, cruise to Loddon via Somerleyton and Reedham stopping at both, then later in the week stop again at Great Yarmouth so Adam could have another day for him and we could all go along, including Alfie.

After a cuppa we all set off for a proper walk heading through the park to the Marina then onwards along a path which leads to the Waveney and the WRC (via water taxi). We weren't going back there but we went a good way before turning back and getting ready to go out for the evening. Showers done we crossed the car park and found a table outside the hotel where we enjoyed perfectly good burger/gammon type meals served hot and promptly, which surprised me because the place had been absolutely heaving with customers all day. We sat and had a few drinks watching the sun go down and we could have been anywhere in the world right now, South of France, Greece, Spain anywhere, it wouldn't have been better. Later on Adam and I took Alfie for a last walk, it was about 11pm or so, and I remembered the webcam on the corner of the hotel. I had a good 3G signal and I managed to get the camera up on the phone and Adam and I had the strange experience of seeing ourselves waving at ourselves on my phone. I'm sure I took a snapshot but I can't find it.

We retired to bed and experienced the well known sound of water hitting the bow of these type of boats, slap slap slap. I didn't mind at all, It sent me to sleep.

Who says dogs can't look up...Squirrels beware

post-789-0-84078600-1379762931_thumb.jpg

post-789-0-16536900-1379763015_thumb.jpg

post-789-0-68408500-1379763053_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hello Neil,

You may have seen Joan & Joe on Ranworth Breeze on the 18th August which was one of their weeks on our boat.

I usually moor in the Yacht Station on the pontoons to avoid the issue of mooring against the Yacht Station concrete dock or the heavy pilling at The Wherry Hotel moorings.
Having said that you moor where you can when it is busy.

Looking forwards to your next day on the river.

Regards

Alan

Day 4 - Monday 19th August 2013

Oh my god we're almost half way through the week, why do holidays take so long to come and then go so quickly?  I'm up early again, I'm hopeless getting out of bed at home but on holiday I'm always up with the larks, I think I just want to get as much squeezed in as I can. Today's modified plan means a good walk for Alfie, then a cruise up to Somerleyton where we'll hopefully get a mooring and then walk up to the village shop. It's pleasant walking through the empty park, Alfie chases a few squirrels but he's too slow and has never caught one in his life. I replace the side fenders into their proper positions, we slip the lines and are away before the sailies arrive for their racing so we don't have to run the gauntlet between them getting in their way. It's a nice cruise up to Somerleyton, the weather is gorgeous and hot even though it's early. As we approach the railway bridge the height gauge shows that we should lower the windscreen which we do in an orderley fashion (the canopy is already down, it's hardly been up all week). Then when we get really close to the bridge we spot the bridge operator hanging out his window waving his arms and shouting for us to lower our TV aerial...oops. Thank you, that could have been embarrassing.

There were plenty of spaces to moor and we tied up without incident, we were getting good at this. Adam always had the bow and he had perfected his clove hitch and could judge very well how tight the line should be, not too tight so the stern stuck out into the river, not so slack as to allow the bow to wander out. A cup of coffee and a slice of cake and then a walk up through the village. It was a nice walk, but the shop was a bit sparcely stocked. We thought there would be a tea room maybe with outside seating but it wasn't to be. Never mind, we started back in the direction of the boat but saw a sign for honey for sale down a lane to the left so we diverted down there to buy some. The man selling the honey was very friendly and we had a good chat about the Broads and the weather etc, he told us the rest of the week would be glorious and he was right. We took a long way back to the boat, heading down to the station then through the woods to the moorings, passing the marina on the way. Alfie appreciated this, he was enjoying the holiday as long as he was with the whole family. We stayed a while at the mooring, just enjoying being there. Adam got stuck into the honey with a spoon, he got through the whole jar in two days. Don't worry about his teeth, he's good at cleaning them and he hasn't got a single filling, but a whole jar in two days!!!

We eventually set off and this time I actually checked the river for traffic, there wasn't a single boat coming, needn't have bothered. Next stop was Reedham via the new cut. All the way up towards St Olaves there was a boat from Faircraft Loynes, one of their big ones, that was so close behind me it was becoming annoying. Traffic was quite heavy so he was having trouble overtaking me but I wasn't going too slowly, he was just in an unneccessary hurry. Just before I turned left into the cut I could see he was also going to go that way so I eased off and waved him through. All the way up the cut I watched him make a nuisance of himself as he overtook boat after boat, sometimes causing approaching traffic problems as they had to go very close to the river bank to avoid him. I wonder about people sometimes. Now comes the bit that annoyed me. I've mentioned my attitude towards speeding and how careful I was to comply with the speed limits, there was an ebb current through Reedham and so Ruby had to work a bit harder to maintain speed. I'm aware that against the tide you are going to make more wash than with the tide, I know all that, I also know that greater wash means damage to riverbanks and problems for moored boats. However, I've also got a calibrated speedometer on board and I'm going at 3/4mph through Reedham and due to lack of traffic I'm well away from the banks. I'm checking behind me constantly for wash hitting moored boats and there isn't any. Suddenly there booms across the water "SLOW DOWN, YOU'RE GOING TOO FAST". I was going to shout back "I'm trying to make the morning last" but he didn't look like a Simon & Garfunkel fan. I held up four fingers to indicate my speed (on the same hand though he deserved a double 'V'). He shouted for me to look at the waves behind me but there really weren't any to worry about, he was being arsey. I know people will take his side and assume I was speeding, but I was below the speed limit, I spent the whole week being ultra-careful about everything, care of the boat, consideration for others, especially speed but this guy was overly officious and a bit handy with his megaphone, my wife was mortified and I wasn't allowed to stop. Sorry business's of Reedham, you missed out because of him.

Anyway, that's enough about him, we're running out of holiday and life's too short. We passed the chain ferry which was very interesting, and soon turned into the River Chet. Oh wow, we cruised down this wonderful little river on tickover, enjoying the absolute quiet and the way Ruby effortlessly turned this way and that as if she already knew the way. We passed boats heading the other way but there was no issue, everyone was considerate and there were no dramas. All too soon Pyes Mill moorings came into view and even though I could see spaces all the way down I pulled in right at the near end, I fancied as quiet a mooring as possible tonight. We set off for the village, opting for the route up past the church rather than alongside the river. We wandered down the high street and into Chedgrave, then turned back and stopped at Rosy lees for a cup of tea and a slice of cake sitting outside (the diet's going well). Afterwards we headed back to Chedgrave for a drink in the White Horse and a think about what to do for dinner tonight. I originally thought about the White Horse, but with the weather being so nice we decided to call into the shop and buy what we needed for a barbeque, including buying a disposable barbeue. We got what we needed in the shop, including a re-stock of wine and then wandered back to the moorings through Princess Cruisers Boatyard and through the cowfield by the river.

The BBQ was ok but those disposable ones never have enough coal in them and you have to cook so quickly that the food isn't great, but the wine made up for it. A few games of boules and a horror film on the Dvd and it was time for bed. I slept the sleep of the righteous that night, I was having the time of my life.

To be continued if I haven't bored everyone to death

post-789-0-68901400-1379774657_thumb.jpg

post-789-0-42183500-1379774698_thumb.jpg

post-789-0-21940600-1379774872_thumb.jpg

post-789-0-56033200-1379774935_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Day 5 - Tuesday 20th August 2013

Everything today is geared around getting over Breydon Water at the right time this evening, we plan on over-nighting at the Yacht Station giving Adam an evening at the fair then spending the last two days on the Northern rivers.

We walked into town to get milk etc and then set off at around 10am heading towards Reedham, then maybe St Olaves. The trip back up the Chet was equally wonderful, Bev took the helm for a while and I sat right at the Bow so I couldn't even hear the engine. Silence, serenity, you can think when it's like that, realy think without distraction. You could come up with world-changing ideas when you're able to completely tune out lifes everyday niggles like you can at the front of a boat on the River Chet. Again, all too soon this perfect little river came to an end and we turned onto the much larger River Yare heading towards Reedham. I suggested mooring for a while while I discussed calibration of speed measuring systems by the time-honoured method of speed = distance over time calculation, versus one mans experienced eye for this kind of thing, but Bev wouldn't let me so we passed Reedham with a cheery wave.

We turned right into the cut and made our way down to St Olaves to moor for a while and let Alfie stretch his legs. We didn't stay too long, we decided that lunch would be at Burgh Castle in the Fishermans Inn, and we could have a look around the old castle while we waited for the tide. We had lots of time, slack water at yarmouth was 17.19 today. We moored at the BA moorings south of Goodchilds and walked up to the pub where a nice lunch was enjoyed, washed down with a pint of San Miguel. Afterwards we had a walk up to the castle ruins and spent a good while just wandering around, thoroughly enjoying ourselves with no real urgency or agenda. It's a nice spot to just sit on a sunny day and enjoy the views across the countryside. I love this country of ours and I've fallen in love with this small corner of it. We meandered back to the pub, it was still too early to head to Yarmouth so we sat and drank a coke and just watched the river for a while. I planned on getting to Great yarmouth at 17.30, which meant leaving at about 16.45 would get us there on time, I could adjust my speed over Breydon to suit. It was now 16.00 and things suddenly turned strange.

A flotilla of boats suddenly appeared from the direction of Gt Yarmouth, then another group passed us heading towards Gt Yarmouth. Clearly I had messed up with my tide table and we were going to be late getting across Breydon Water. Surely so many boats can't be wrong, I really doubted myself and a spot decision was made to get onto the boat and get going. My fear wasn't so much the tides, being a bit late didn't matter too much but with all these boats passing I was worried about getting a mooring at the Yacht Station. We made our way back to the boat and off we went, hurrying across Breydon at about 2100 rpm which was about 7mph against the wind. We turned into the Bure at 5.00pm, and hit the fierce ebb current just like in Robin's video. There were two boats immediately in front of us, a small sailboat with it's sail down and an outboard motor buzzing away but getting nowhere fast, then a bathtub from Herbert Woods, then us. The sailey was hardly moving at all, which meant us two cruisers couldn't open the throttle either so it got very interesting very fast. We stopped moving forwards under the rail bridge and I was thinking about options, there weren't any, but fortunately the sailboat suddenly moved forward so we could speed up too and get moving again. It was a hairy moment and I was quite worried for a while. The yacht Station was full, with about half the boats having another double-moored to them, so we decided to keep going upstream and maybe come back next day. It was a long haul up the Bure until the tide stopped fighting us, and eventually we approached Stokesby where lo and behold the 3 moorings outside the Ferry Inn were all empty, what a result. We sat outside the pub and enjoyed a beer, then ate a nice meal, then after a walk for Alfie we retired to the boat for yet another horror film, the second half of one of last night's bottle of wine and a bit of cheese. Lovely. I was set up nicely for nightmares about tides and low bridges.

post-789-0-53733300-1379784291_thumb.jpg

post-789-0-85872800-1379784373_thumb.jpg

post-789-0-52751700-1379784434_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Neil,

Did you have any trouble mooring direct outside the Ferry Inn, there can be an heavy current flow there.

This or rather up on the Green is amongst my favourite mooring spots on the Broads, the pub offers honest pub fair and is well worth a visit likewise the shop/café just up from the pub.

The cakes are to die for!

Hi Neil,

Loving the tale so far, I am the same with regards day dreaming about the holiday to come, 4 weeks today we will be onboard and since November last year when we booked up I have had to keep myself from getting too excited too early but now it's so close I can't help myself.

Also the way you described seeing the boats for the first time on a holiday to the broads, going over the bridge in Wroxham is the same for me, from a young age my parents took myself and my brothers to the broads for a week each year and going over that bridge was one of the most exciting moments knowing we were there and about to embark on another great holiday.

I have managed to calm downover the last two days but reading your tale has made me all super excited again!

Great read and looking forward to the rest of the tale.

Hi Alan

No we didn't have any problems mooring at The Ferry Inn, I'd read that the current can be challenging here but we timed (by accident) getting there just before slack water so as usual when I halted the boat prior to mooring to check conditions we were slightly against the last of the ebb tide so it was ever so easy. We were even able to moor half way along the pub mooring and then let the gentle tide assist us in manually pulling the boat to the back of the moorings to allow other boats room to moor. Good luck or what?

Day 6 - Wednesday 21st August 2013

We were up early because We'd been unable to moor at Gt Yarmouth last night and we'd promised Adam another day there as he'd missed out on Pleasurewood Hills Theme Park. I also wanted a cooked breakfast so Adam was still asleep with Alfie for company, and Bev and I went to the Village Store for a feed. What a treat it was, beautifully cooked and a huge plateful. I can't recommend this place enough if you're nearby at breakfast time, next time I'll plan on mooring here just for the breakfast.

We set off back towards Gt Yarmouth but I was troubled by the nagging thought that we were wasting precious cruising time going over old ground, and it was once we'd passed Stracey Arms I decided to about turn and moor at Acle Bridge and get the train into Yarmouth. We'd have all afternoon there, and be able to have our last cruising day tomorrow seeing at least some of the Northern Rivers. I took the opportunity of a pump-out and water top-up at Bridgecraft (very efficient and polite) and moored a little way upstream. We walked into Acle, which is quite a hike but the path is seperated from the road by hedgerow so Alfie could have a run and stretch his legs. We caught the 1.00pm train into Yarmouth and had another thoroughly enjoyable day there, me and Alfie sitting outside a pub with a beer while Bev and Adam visited the sealife centre then Bev taking Alfie on the beach while Adam and I went on the rides. It must have been the exceptional weather but I really enjoyed this part of the holiday, sort of old-school British Seaside Holiday. We had fish & chips which always taste better at the seaside, then it was time to get back for the 19.15 train back to Acle. Unfortunately this train broke down in the station so we had to wait an hour for the next one, making it dark by the time we had the long walk back to the moorings. We managed though and the plan to visit the pub was abandoned because we were all exhausted.

I felt quite subdued tonight, tomorrow was the last full day we'd have on Ruby and I didn't want to give her back.

• Like 2

Hi Neil, just started reading your blog as we've been away for the weekend. We are also from Durham and this year I opted to miss the stress of the A17 and go on to Peterborough and onto the A47, it's 20 miles longer but most of it is dual carriageway and it was a doddle, no tractors, not many HGV's just plain sailing, sorry, driving lol.

Jim

• Like 1

Day 7 - Thursday 22nd August 2013

Up with the larks today, it's the last full day and we haven't seen much of the northern rivers due to heading south so early in the holiday. There were lots of places I wouldn't get to see this trip, Sutton Staithe and Neatishead on the Ant, Salhouse Broad and Coltishall on the Bure just for a start, but there's always next time. First stop today would be Potter Heigham for breakfast, so after the usual walkies for Alfie and a cup of coffee for the journey I cast off just as Bev was rising. I had time to contemplate on the week we've just had, and how I'd de-stressed pretty much since the moment we left Horning nearly a week ago. I have some trouble with acid reflux, I had an endoscopy appointment a few days after we returned home but I haven't suffered much at all on this holiday. It occurs to me that I should be able to wangle a fortnight on the broads on the NHS, it's good medicine. I'll mention it to my doctor and if it works I'll let you know.

Turning right into the Thurne and up towards Potter Heigham I was deep in thought, very happy with how the week had gone mainly because Bev and Adam had enjoyed it but also feeling a bit morose because it was almost Friday already. Bev noticed my mood and gave me a hug, promising that we'd be back and I perked up a bit, focussing on the great week we'd had rather than on it ending. I was trying to be 'glass half full' rather than 'glass half empty' but I just wish I had a bigger glass. We passed the little bungalows and discussed the merits of hiring one, we have hired cottages in Cornwall and loved it but I think seeing all the boats cruising by would agitate me if I couldn't have one. There were no riverside moorings free so I pulled into Herbert Woods, stern moored like I meant it and asked if it was ok to stay for a couple of hours, which it was. Adam was still in bed so Bev and I took Alfie for a walk (he's lost weight this holiday) then we left him with Adam while we vistited Lathams. A while later we all went the the Flour & Bean for a spot of late breakfast and then we popped back into Lathams for some pastries and pasties for lunch later on. I took time to have a good look at the notorious bridge, and it's quite sad how damaged it is. I know it's a nuisance not being able to go above here for most people, but's a lovely bridge and historic things like this matter, we need them here for ever so we can think about the past.

We departed and headed for the Bure, but as we approached the entrance to Womack Water I turned in for a short diversion up this little cul-de-sac. It's a nice trip, reminiscent of the Chet at it's start then opening up a bit as the Staithe comes into view. We turned left at the Island, not anticipating the opportunity to stop but to our surprise the island moorings were completely empty. Does this actually happen? well what a lovely place to stop and have our lunch. Alfie enjoyed exploring off his lead, and even though a big Faircraft Ambassador joined us it was still very peaceful and memorable. Time to go as we're running out of light (that's an old mountain climbing expression, my mate used to pop his head into my tent at 5.30am and say that to hurry me up as we had a long climbing day ahead). One of the places I wanted to visit was ranworth so we could climb the church steps for the view. I had little hope of this happening but thet's where we headed anyway. Sure enough the Staithe was full but there was lots of space on the Island, this would do fine. We enjoyed a couple of hours of playing boules, a cuppa, the sort of things that you do on holiday and then it was time to set off for our last night's mooring, Ludham Bridge.

We arrived quite early, maybe 4pm at Ludham Bridge, I imagined that it would be very busy but there was loads of space and it didn't get completely full even later on. We called into the shop, then walked behind it to where there are a few businesses selling this n that and we bought a very unusual plant holder for the garden in the shape of a tricycle (full size). On the way back to the boat I wondered how it would fit inside the car, I'll worry about that tomorrow. We showered and got a bit tidier than usual as it was our last night and therefore an occaision, and walked the short distance up to the Dog Inn. The meal was fine, eaten outside as it was so nice and warm, then as it grew dark we headed back for our last sleep on Ruby. There was no point taking a few bottles of beer and half a bottle of wine back home, so I unselfishly drank them, and consumed all the bit's of ham/cheese/pork pie etc that would otherwise get thrown away. Alfie got thinner, I got fatter. I can't understand why I have an acid reflux issue!

Friday 23rd August 2013

The alarm dragged me out of my sleep early, I didn't want to be late giving Ruby back. I remembered everyone including us being desperate for their holiday to begin, and part of the problem with delays last Friday was that some people hadn't returned their boats on time. I didn't want anyone to be delayed because of my selfishness, so I got up, got washed and dressed and went outside for the obligatory walk. There was a thick fog covering the river, and as we walked towards the bridge we had to get quite close before we could actually see it. The river was clearly telling me I had no business leaving her and that the people expecting their turn on Ruby could wait another week. Fanciful thinking on my part, we returned to the boat and the fog began to lift. I lowered the canopy for the last time, we could probably have got under the bridge with it up but no point doing something stupid right at the end. I enjoyed the feel of taking Ruby around the twists and turns as we headed downstream towards the Bure, then we turned for the last leg up towards Horning. The sun was out before long and Adam joined us for a last cruise up the river. Ferry Marina came into view and someone spotted us and gave instructions to reverse into the yard from the river, so that the starboard fitted diesel filler was on the shore-side. Talk about pressure, no worries though, I just kept going backwards down the middle of the cut until there was room to come in forwards to the right stopping place. We'd done some miles this week the fuel would have cost us £60 if it wasn't included in the hire cost, I thought that was pretty good. I thought everything about Ruby was pretty damned good.

A quick and easy handover complete, we set off home, very quiet mainly but then one of us would mention something about the past week and we'd all enjoy remembering it. For the next couple of weeks Bev and I would experience a very strange sensation as if we were still on the river, we'd just suddenly have a balance problem which we called 'boat legs'. Is this common I wonder?

My memories are all good, there is nothing I would have changed apart from a longer holiday of course. I was impressed very much with Ferry Marina and their hire fleet. Ruby isn't one of their new boats by any means but she's lovely, well turned out and very accomodating. You can tell her pedigree and she still turns a few heads. It sounds like I've just descibed Joanna Lumley, well that's no bad thing.

Thanks for reading.

Neil, Bev, Adam and Alfie.

post-789-0-31983700-1380038885_thumb.jpg

post-789-0-44271000-1380039077_thumb.jpg

post-789-0-82991000-1380039190_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hello Neil,

The balance or Boat Legs  as you call it is common and effect some people more than other, we also get this on narrow boats as well as Ranworth Breeze, the longer the time on the boat and if the water is choppy the worst the effect is. By far the most it is seen to effect you is sat at a computer or sat on the toilet.

Joanne Lumley a national institution and heart throb of mine since the New Avengers. Note to self do not mention Joanne Lumley after talking of toilets :norty:

So when are you coming back to the Broads?

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan

We're thinking about maybe a 4 day cruise at Easter next year, staying North this time. I'd love to get a nicely turned out boat that can get through PH Bridge as I would have loved to have an evening at the Pleasureboat Inn but I have no idea if it's possible. I wouldn't be interested in a day boat for a visit as it's the evening moored outside which appeals. I'm going to look into it, maybe Golden Light from Herbert Woods would be low enough, I don't know why they don't put the airdraft on the website, it's vital information for the Broads not just for Potter Heigham.

Neil