Yarmouth or Lowestoft.

Ours allows for inland on the broads and upto 12 miles out to sea but I think the problem with customisable policys is the increased risk of them slipping through the net.

Noticed something the other day on some marine insurance site, about the moorings. Your policy is costed around the suitability of your home marina so what happensif you are moored in a different marina and something happens, there was also an issue about picking up a mooring bouy. Apparently most policies for motor boats are modified sailing policies, a common clause is the speed clause, a seperation between fast and slow boats, if a boat capable of 7 knots and his friend in his 15 knotter picked up adjacent bouys moored, went to the restraunt only to see the weather blow through a nasty squall.

Both boats break there moorings and get smashed on the rocks, despite being insured with the same company on the same policy all be it slightly adapted to take into account the higher speed of one boat, only one is actually covered.

What difference it makes if your boat can do 5 or 55 knots when you are tied to a bouy I do not know but that is insurance, the artical did say this is supposedly a common clause so worth checking if you own a faster boat.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

David, what are you going to use your extra crew for on Biscay?

Holding the Lavie door shut and making tea

:naughty:

It is Ian, the clause you refer to is the inst. speedboat clause which kicks in at 17 MPH design speed and normally only aplies to boats under 25 feet, my policy states that if anything happens in Goodchilds then we will pay no excess nor will and no claims discount be affected, when we go off cruising we just tell them that we will be mooring at recognised marinas and that satisfies them.

Do you have to do this every time you go out and do they ask you to name your marinas and itinery?

Have never actually given it a thought before reading the artical but effectivly it was saying that if you are not in your own Marina you should advise your insurer, so either a string of phone calls to their answer phone or submiting a detailed plan of your intended journey, and then what would happen if you changed your plans by choice or neccessity once out on the water.

Maybe just me but I have a deep seated distrust of Insurance companys in todays markets, was different when the man from the pru knocked on the door every week, If you had been with him for 10 years you knew it didn't matter what happened it would be covered, nowadays if you didn't do the dusting on Tuesday your house will not be covered against flood aircraft or earthquake. If they have a way out they will not pay, simple as that.

No, just a 'phone call Ian, answered immediately BTW and not a machine or call centre. Just say we’re off cruising and the rough area and they say thanks have a lovely time.

If it’s just for a week or so then no need, but remember we were gone for a couple of months last year and expect to be gone for longer this year.

Well that's my insurance ready for the weekend. Bizarre though - I was told I no longer need to inform them of intended trips out unless we're going to go over the 30 days on the policy. So how do they know how many days I have gone out for if you don't have to clock on with them, I asked? Basically they don't, they just trust people to be honest. Okay then.... but seems like an odd way to run an insurance business!

I suppose if they really wanted to find out the information would be logged at the various coastguards around as you called in your destinations, whether they could gain access to that information I dont know. Would only catch you out though if you were like two intrepid explorers from the forum and intended to stay away for more than 30 days in one hit.

Good luck with the weekend Simon, hope you get the sea state to go, it has been a long time in the making although I can't understand why after all, whenever you fancy running up your engines you can always just pop out to sea as so often informed by others.

Yes it's wonderful how the remarkably uninformed blurt out these things without a clue isn't it? :roll:

It looks like heavy rain this weekend but low winds. I'll don't mind rain, provided visibility is not too restricted, as long as the sea state remains sensible. It's been so long in coming, and we've tripped over so many hurdles I think I'll believe it when I see it, but here's hoping!

It's been so long in coming, and we've tripped over so many hurdles I think I'll believe it when I see it, but here's hoping!

SD will be thanking you all the way there and back tenfold

Well the impeller kits arrived but the gaskets don't appear to match the design of our water pumps. We believed we could pass under the bascule bridge but it looks like clearance won't allow now so that means we have to fit in with a scheduled lift, plus the scaffolding on the railway bridge means we can no longer pass under that without a swing either. So a last minute re-think of plans is already underway!

Think they are operating swings on the railway bridge @ 9am, 1pm and 3pm Simon but check with Mutford or Olton Yacht Station, be carefull as you go through, they do not open it completely and there are various bits of tube sticking out. Best to move over to starboard and attack at the angle of the half open bit of bridge.

Right, well passage through Mutford booked at 0900 with passage through the railway bridge due to take place around 0920. Another boat is already on passage then too so hopefully there should be no issues with that. We're also booked in for the 0945 lifting of the harbour bridge. This will be our first unassisted passage so the nerves are starting to kick a little already! At what point in Lake Lothing should we radio the harbourmaster for permission to proceed?

Our return journey will be interesting. As it will be low tide we should pass without requirement for any bridge lifts or swings, or so they say. I hope they're right or we could end up racking up some considerable mooring costs at the RNSYC! Either that or we'll have to run out to sea and in through Yarmouth .

Just give Lowestoft a shout and ask for permission to use the 09:45 lift when you leave the lock Simon as you are required to give at least 20 minutes notice. On leaving the lock holding pontoon to clear the rail bridge then state your position ask for pemission to make your way down Lothing to the bridge. Also inform them it is your intention to enter RNSYC or proceed directly to sea. The 09:20 swing should time it just nicely for the 09:45 lift. :-D

Interesting. Mutford said they would contact the harbour and book me on the list for the 0945 Harbour Bridge lift. I had assumed, therefore that I would not need to do that myself. My plan had been to radio the harbour master at about the point we reach Haven Marina, after all we will be going fairly slowly as we'll have 25 mins to get from one bridge to the other, and ask for permission to enter the harbour and confirm our slot for the bridge. And since we will already be on the list for the bridge lift, and we'll have to check in with them anyway, about 20 mins before in order to get permission to proceed, the pieces of the jigsaw seemed to slot into place.

So are you saying we should contact them twice? Once to confirm we're there for the bridge lift and once to ask permission to enter the harbour area?

Interesting. Mutford said they would contact the harbour and book me on the list for the 0945 Harbour Bridge lift.

No need if Mutford do it for you, book the lift that is, but I've never had VIP treatment like that, probably being gentle with you Simon, as it was your first time or mayhap it's a new super dooper service.

Interesting. Mutford said they would contact the harbour and book me on the list for the 0945 Harbour Bridge lift. I had assumed, therefore that I would not need to do that myself.

This is the same Mutford Lock that called up on VHF when on the waiting pontoon to say please be ready to get into the lock (from Lake Lothing side) after the second boat.

The lock was very busy and it was stressed several times we needed to be ready to move the moment the second boat came out

A certain forumite took them at their word as you would even though the light was on Red and found that a third boat had been locked in :o emergency astern was required two guns

Lessons learnt; Mutford Lock Keepers can't count above two, :naughty: follow the lights or make sure the 'breach is clear' before loading your ship in.

Um right. Previous passage through Mutford we have been the only ship. They also managed to call us on the VHF several times and ignored our response. They then phoned at which point I pointed out I'd answered the call each time. After investigation they discovered they'd turned the volume off on their VHF set!

Lessons learnt - keep your phone handy.

Have to admit we had the same service but I think it is to do with the 3 swings a day of the railway bridge more than anything else.

Found Yarmouth easier than Lowestoft though, being low air draft like us it was just a quick call on VHF to YH for permision to enter, no bridges to lift or swing and no lock so £10 in pocket.

We have only done it once so maybe we were just lucky but we went straight through with no problems at all, maybe one of our regular sea goers could fill in the problems you could encounter coming back that way.

Well, faced with good weather and a calm sea on Sunday I am starting to give some serious thought to coming in through Yarmouth. I'll investigate the options. Low tide is 1400hrs so if we come in shortly after we should clear the Haven Bridge with ample room. We could moor at the Berney for a bit and then get a push all the way back to Brundall. It's just a thought, but if we can persuade anyone to run with us up the coast then it's very much on (weather permitting, of course).

Are you sure you don't want to come Ian? It won't take 5 mins to fit a new VHF. :naughty:

Would love to Simon but we can't come till saturday morning as have to go to my sons football presentation on Friday night, would then have to not just fit but also fetch and even worse pay for a new VHF so Saturday would be gone, would leave Sunday and it would be just your luck for the weather to turn.

Well there is an "N" in the wind direction for Sunday, something Steve regards with distinct suspicion, but the wind speeds are very low. Saturday afternoon is what we are most interested in, but a run up to Yarmouth on Sunday is certainly an interesting thought.

I'm getting quite revved up for this now, if a little nervous, so let's hope it doesn't end in a serious anti-climax (or worse)! I'm even considering putting the camcorder on charge - a rare event.