Oh dear! Has the NBF gone belly up again or is it just me?!

MauriceMynah

Looks like some pratt has hijacked the web address while Richard is working on the basics. It can only add to the troubles sadly. May not be a major job to sort out normally but he does have a few other things to do!

No, I don't think the URL has been hijacked.

Some web hosting companies automatically redirect to advertising pages when the default home page of a newly hosted domain can't be found.

When you try opening a specific original page on the NBF domain, like the latest posts seach, you get a normal #500 "internal server error" instead.

http://the-norfolk-broads.co.uk/todaytopics.cfm

Yes I have heard the same, and I think a big thank you goes to the guys of this site.   You are diamonds.

Thank you for all of the information you have given to NBF members and I do hope they appreciate it.

Yes Hylander, that's one of the things that has impressed me about this site and I second all you say and I do, in fact I think I will tarry awhile, until it is time to go out at any rate.

• Like 2

I'm going to buck the trend here !!! It's getting a bit boring now, I don't visit the forum anymore as I find it a tad hostile at times. I always got the impression it's is a platform for some very opinionated people that only have one thing in common and that is there own views. I'm sure il be pulled apart for my comments, but hey I got an email asking me to donate the other day so I'm sure I should feel part of the family ;) !!!

• Like 1

I like to view whatever sites that cater for my interests, some of course more than others.

Its a choice thing, and up to the individual. If I feel any one, on whatever site is too opinionated then I just ignore that persons post. If you were in any group of people its unlikely you would get on with everyone, but I am sure you would still go there to chat with those you do!

Maurice

• Like 3

I think the NBF is beginning to lose its street cred. It has been plagued with problems of late and more so that any other forums I visit. Have to admit that when I visit (or try to) NBF it is with the expectation of it being unavailable, slow etc. It is a shame as I know much work has, and continues, to be put into it. However, an unreliable forum is not really of much use is it?

I have no inside knowledge of the ongoing problems, but taking a guess, I would say that Richard may be having to rewrite some of his home brewed Coldfusion code.

Now that the site is running from a remote professionally hosted server, it's probably far more pedantic about the syntax and logic of the code that runs on it. 

When you try to access the site from a previously bookmarked inner page, like http://www.the-norfolk-broads.co.uk/todaytopics.cfm  you get a detailed debug page, rather than the default "Parallels" hosting page.

To be honest I gave up on NBF almost as soon as I started using it, way to slow and frustrating. The annoying thing is there is quite a lot of good content on there which will be lost if the site doesn't make it back online.

To me it also seems a little crazy writing your own code for the forum. At the end of the day projects such as vbulliten or phpbb have hundreds of developers all working every day to ensure that the code is secure and reliable, I'm not sure how 1 person could hope to match that.

Unfortunately running custom code there will be no pre-defined import routines that he could use to port to a better supported platform so that could be quite a task in itself.

......To me it also seems a little crazy writing your own code for the forum. At the end of the day projects such as vbulliten or phpbb have hundreds of developers all working every day to ensure that the code is secure and reliable, I'm not sure how 1 person could hope to match that.

Unfortunately running custom code there will be no pre-defined import routines that he could use to port to a better supported platform so that could be quite a task in itself.

In Richard's defence, he started the NBF before ready-made forum software became freely or cheaply available, so writing his own was a logical decision.

The range of user functionality then grew to far more than the newer "off the peg" solutions in PHP, so the large loyal user base would lose some of the things that have become very popular.

An even bigger problem of migrating to PHP though would be what you have said, the loss of nearly ten years of historic posts and photos.

The biggest downside has been the fragility of the stand alone home based server hardware, and the cost of the high bandwidth to host it via a DSL phone line.

If it can survive the transition to professional remote hosting and retain the rather unique home brewed user functionality, then it should end up far more stable than before, and far cheaper to run and maintain.