Almost time to lift out ...

ExMemberBobdog

The end of another sailing season is close.  Sometime in the next week or so I'll de-rig the boat, bring the sails, sheets and halyards home to store safely for the winter, and arrange for the boatyard to crane her out of the water, steam clean the hull, and pop her into a shed.  I know I've managed to put a little chip in the gelcoat, so that will need a repair, some of the woodwork could do with a couple of coats of varnish, and the decks and cabin roof need a couple of coats of paint.  In the spring a fresh coat of antifoul will be needed before she goes back in.

It's been a good season (after a cold start - not much sailing in April or early May).  Managed to spend 27 days out sailing (+ about a dozen days in the kayak, and about 8 days on various motor boats).  While the sailing will stop for the winter (boat won't go back in the water until 1st April) I intend to wrap up warm and keep paddling through - enjoying the real peace and tranquility of the more remote corners once most of the hire fleets have pretty much packed up.  Looking forward to gliding through early morning mists on deserted waters.

I'll also be out and about in Broadland on a motor launch, or the back of a truck once or twice a week, helping clear scrub, remove winter's debris from the water, repairing quay heading, mooring posts, broken signs and the like, or the boardwalks of footpaths ... good fun being a volunteer worker for the Broads Authority  :cool: .

Hope next summer is even better than the one just gone!

post-14321-0-12398100-1382253081_thumb.j

• Like 4

I hope the next Summer is going to be as good as 2013 even though it was a long time before it arrived.

We have never been on the hard since 2004 because there can be some mild weather during winter when boating on the Broads is fantastic.  On the other hand, if it is going to be a bad winter, being 90 miles away from Horning can be a big worry! 

Job done.  Spent several hours today de-rigging, carefully labelling each halyard, sheet, shackle and block in the hope that I can put her back together in roughly the right order come the spring.  I always seem to have a piece or two left over and never quite sure where it was meant to go until I get on the water and realise what isn't working properly :) 

Odd day - beautiful weather, the best for weeks, and really felt that I should be out enjoying the day rather than taking the boat apart ... but forecast for the next few days is not good, and nothing worse than trying to take down sails in the wind and rain.

Ho hum ... next sunny day that comes along I'm going to be out there on the kayak.

Job done.  Spent several hours today de-rigging, carefully labelling each halyard, sheet, shackle and block in the hope that I can put her back together in roughly the right order come the spring.  I always seem to have a piece or two left over and never quite sure where it was meant to go until I get on the water and realise what isn't working properly :)

Odd day - beautiful weather, the best for weeks, and really felt that I should be out enjoying the day rather than taking the boat apart ... but forecast for the next few days is not good, and nothing worse than trying to take down sails in the wind and rain.

Ho hum ... next sunny day that comes along I'm going to be out there on the kayak.

halyard, sheet., shackle, block, sails, kayak? you need to buy yourself a boat :naughty: