A Week On board Carousel 3

Paulr181

I fully understand what you are saying and that my post may sound like I am making the crossing sound easy and that going against the correct tide times is nothing, believe me that is not the case. I planned both journeys and fully intended to run against the tide on the Thursday in order to get back north for a last day in the north. (As my post explains). I planned loosely the days we were to go south long before the holiday based on the predicted times, which by the way mean pretty much nothing as the weather can effect the tide a lot! So the broads authority website with the latest times is best.

I was fully aware of my actions before Proceeding, as I mention in the tale I checked the bridge height board before crossing Braydon. It was at over 8ft with the tide going out! Carousel is 6ft9" the average gap at high water is 7' which would still allow the correct amount if height allowance (ok I wouldn't try it at that height not a chance). So before crossing I was aware of three points, the tide clearance was not a concern and would only improve in the 40-45 minute crossing, the tide would be still coming out from the Bure when I finally turn into it but I knew it would only help with bridge manoeuvring, and the current at the yellow post would be fighting in two directions. I also knew Carousel had plenty in reserve power wise even if it would only mean doing 4 mph.

So please don't think I didn't think this through and just risked it, I would never disrespect someone else's property like that, especially 250ks worth of boat.

What I will say though is there really was no issue crossing Braydon, the current although carrying me was manageable and a number of times I tried slowing up just incase before the bridges which she done with no issues. When at the yellow post I turned quickly and powered hard to get her moving against any current and waited for the stern to kick out being carried with the tide, which it did but I was there ready with opposite steering and some power and we were through, the bridges like I mentioned were no issue.

Even against the tide Carousel was very capable of achieving the speeds. (Don't forget there is a GPS speedo on board). So most people would just stick it to the revs that they are told for that speed which in turn would mean against the tide they would be lucky to hit 3mph so more power required. Once through Yarmouth and onto the 6 mph stretch I was doing 6mph, ok this was nearly max for carousel but still managed. So as the speed was the same I assumed the timings given would be correct, but just incase I measured how long it took to get so far (comparing to the previous days times) and set myself a point to return to Yarmouth if the timing was out. I gave myself an extra 20 minutes before darkness (measured the average time from sunset to darkness over the week and maximise navigation :-) so I knew Stracey arms mill was manageable. When passing Stracey arms it was not very busy so I must admit I was just hoping there would be space at the ferry inn however it really isn't that busy this week so I kind of knew it shouldn't be an issue. And if worst came to worst I reckon I'd still be able to turn back and get back to Stracey arms mill, which is only about 10 min cruise away.

The worst thing is once I was moored up a private owner cruises passed in pretty much pitch black with no navigating lights, and the moorings were empty and they carried on!

Anyway don't want this to sound like a rant or anything but felt I needed to say my bit to back up my actions.

Anyway going to write my last full days diary :-)

cheers

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Day 7 - 25th October 2013

Woke up relatively early this morning but didn't get up straight away as I knew we were just chilling out mostly. So I finely got out of bed at about 8:40. I already knew it was raining as I could hear it hammering off the boat but one look outside confirmed it looked as though it would be a miserable day. Kettle on and some toast under the grill I sat and took in the morning and just tried to savour the moment. It wasn't long before we were casting off and moving on up the river passing Acle and up towards the Thurne mouth. We carried on on the Bure and ranworth Staithe being our goal for the morning showers and cuppa and most importantly the last water fill up. As we approached the Staithe I noticed Mystic Horizon moored up, which could only mean one thing, Robin was about somewhere. I felt the pressure on me as I started the stern on mooring, everyone watching! I didn't do too bad a job, not hitting other boats even with a gap just wide enough for Carousel.

We met Robin and had a chat, very nice guy and comes across the same as he does on his blogs! Wishing him well and it was time for a shower cake and a cuppa :-) well I did say chill out day! We decided we wanted to find some slow berries to pick which would likely require a wild mooring somewhere, so the hunt began. Around the first corner after ranworth heading back towards Horning we found loads of bushes with sloe berries in, then a spot that looked like a great wild mooring. Thrusters on and I eased her in slowly and got to use the ground anchors for the first time this week :-). Moored up we found some sloe berries and picked them, we even got into the dinghy to pick some.

We decided to visit Horning for the last time and moored in the same place as previously in the week and rowed over to the shop for some bits. Once back on board it was time to decide where to moor over night. I like a little cruise in the

• Like 3

Oops presses the end button by mistake!

Anyway as I was saying I enjoy a short cruise on hand over day, also gives a chance to get some hot water on the go to get washed etc. so tat in mind I was looking to find somewhere that Allowed this and was also close to a pub! Oh and was no more than about one and a half hours away from Stalham.

So a steady and enjoyable cruise back towards the river Ant and then towards Ludham Bridge, it was decided we would stop and How Hill and then walk to the Dog Inn.

I like this mooring although it does get narrow along the far end of the moorings. With the sun setting I captured some great pictures of the windmill just after we moored up. We then made a move for the pub, it was a fair walk there but the food was ok and it meant we didn't need to cook having packed the kitchen bags etc. A long walk back to the boat and here we are with a rum and coke and watching tv.

I'll write the boat review either tomorrow or Sunday as I am very tired. We have had an amazing week and all I want to do now is find work down here so we don't have to leave :-) totally gutted its over.

I'll do a round up tomorrow with fuel costs etc.

Thanks for following so far!

Paul and Helen.

• Like 3

Regarding this early arrival at Yarmouth, if anything was

to go wrong, you would be better with the tide coming in

than going out. Unless you were stuck under the bridges

as was 'Challenger'.  :eek:

I always plan to arrive around 30mins after slack water

whichever way I'm going. 

I understand why you wanted/had to do it but things can

go wrong quickly there.

Hmm not sure id agree with you about tide coming in? The yellow post is easy to navigate when the tide is against you but with the tide pushing you in I think i would not have tried that. Also going up towards the bridges, you would have to be pretty confident about the height as stopping the boat when going with the tide I don't think would be as easy as the boat would want to swing side ways?. Where as going against the worst that would happen is you go really slow and burn a lot of fuel and you can slow to a stop at the very least. Not sure what others think.

Anyway guys maybe we should start another thread about such things. Maybe I was freakishly lucky as it was no bother what so ever, or maybe I was making it seem much worse in my head and was already prepared for the worst case so was ready to counter act the movements of the boat? Who knows, what I do know is that I agree that going south in the short days is not the greatest idea but I am still glad I done it and wouldn't change abit of my holiday.

Those who got stuck under the bridges must have either ignored the signs or just had no idea what was going on with the tides etc, there are plenty warnings long before the bridges from both sides. The bridges as far as I am concerned aren't the issue as everyone knows the height of the boat and should understand what the tide is doing (so only having a ft with an incoming tide might be a little hairy if its a fast tide). The main worry about the whole going across at any other time other than slack is the current where the two rivers meet (basically the yellow post). Obviously my opinion.

Anyway the update is coming soon :-) along with the hefty fuel bill :-( (was totally worth it though).

So we are back home and its as if we hadnt left already :-(

Holiday blues setting in and all I can do is reflect on what a great time we had this past week.

This morning started a 7AM getting up out of bed for the last time on Carousel. Kettle on and I was on to opening the curtains and storing the front and back curtains in the cupboard. Then finally started the engine to get the windscreen de-misted (the heaters blow onto the screen).

So it was casting off time for the last journey up the river Ant from How hill leaving at 7:25AM. The sun was rising and it was a such a perfect ending to the holiday. Up over Barton broad and up the river towards Stalham.

A line of boats formed as we neared the boatyard and we all took our time to go to the correct Quays. Kingfisher Quay was the correct place for us and as I turned the corner it was a Hive of activity. Lots of boats returning and being filled up. I lined up and was directed to stern moor at a specific point. I lined up to commence my final mooring, it was pretty perfect :-) nice and slowly in and didn't even pump the boat off the quay. The guys tied her up and were straight onto filling the diesel tank. I knew we had used lots as the fuel gauge was under 1/4, what I didn't realise was just how much a tank could hold.

So the first sign on a hefty bill was when the guy needed to change pumps, he commented "you guys have used lots!" it ended at about 151 litres!(I think) amounting to a hefty £239 in value so thats an additional £89 over the deposit.... well I was expecting it to be more than 150 but 89 was alot more, still I think considering the hours of cruising we done and the heating used etc etc it wasn't bad going.

Just to make clear where we went for this amount of fuel.

Day 1 - Stalham to Womack Staithe

Day 2 - Womack Staithe to Potter Heigham, Potterheigham to ranworth, Ranworth to Salhouse

Day 3 - Salhouse to Wroxham, Wroxham to Hoveton Little Broad, Hoveton L/B to Horning, Horning to ranworth

Day 4 - Ranworth to St Benets, St benets to Thurne Dyke, Thurne Dyke to Potter Heigham, P/H to Stracey Arms.

Day 5 - Stracey Arms to Reedham in Southern Broads, Reedham to Brundall (also visiting two broads) Brundall to Bramerton Common

Day 6 - Bramerton Common to Norwich, Norwich to Gt Yarmouth (against the tide most the way), Gt Yarmouth to Ferry Inn (against the tide)

Day 7 - Ferry Inn to Ranworth (against the Tide), Ranworth to Horning, Horning to Ludham Bridge, Ludham bridge to How Hill

Day 8 - How Hill to Stalham.

Plus heating each night (two heaters on this boat).

So a busy week of cruising and a fair bit of mileage, also this is a large boat.

We have had a great time, the boat was great and Richardson's first class, I will write up a Carousel Boat review in the Hire boats section as I think this should seperate. I really have come to love the broads again and can't wait to return already. Not sure when it will be at the minute.

I shall post some pictures up shortly to show some of what I can described above. I hope it all makes sense as most of it was typed out on my phone each night and predicative text does alot of "correcting" :-)

I hope you have all enjoyed reading my tale.

Paul and Helen

• Like 1

Yeah the fuel cost was a little bit of a surprise. Up to Thursday morning we had used one half of the tank and then 1/4 of the tank on Thursday getting back to the north. I also think about 30 odd litres was probably the heating, although it's only 0.8 litres per hour in consumption there are two heaters and say we ran them at least 3-4hours a day ( mainly to stop things getting damp really) so that's probably eat part of 30-40 litres by itself.

But in all honesty we didn't want a holiday controlled by saving fuel as that's pretty much all we do normally with cars! So I'm glad we budgeted extra to allow us just to do what we want. So I think the lesson is always assume you will use more fuel and if you get some cash back then all the better :-)

Your heating really will not have used that much per hour (even having two) If you look at the technical specs for warm air heaters it is the KW output that obviously determines the amount of fuel they consume and that is on high.  With the modern system Carousel has when it reaches the desired temperature  it will then reduce air flow and heat output (and fuel usage) Mystic Horizon has an older system and a smaller 2KW heater but I ran it on low most of the time for background heat.

Where I think the money (and fuel) has gone is the fact the boat has a 50HP engine which is a lot larger than the average hire boat which is going to be between 35 and 38 horse power.  Add this in to the fact it is a hydraulically driven boat  (not shaft driven) further eats into the fuel usage as transferring torque through liquid is never as good as a mechanical linkage just as I have found in the past with anything from Far Horizon to Saleno they used far more fuel than I was expecting.  

Further the fact the boat has a GPS speedo means you can maintain speed often regardless of tidal flow - unless say at Yarmouth, but of course using a lot more revs to do so.  I use an App to judge speed but if I am going against the tide then I often don't fight it e.g. 6 MPH limit, doing 4 MPH and maintain lower RPM and just take that much longer to get where you are going. 

A45 foot boat takes a lot of energy to push through the water compared to 29 foot boat such as the boat I was on.  I used on average 11 litres of fuel a day and I know that has surprised some in amount used (e.g. thinking rather a lot).  It all comes down to what you seek - if you want a nice comfortable holiday and go for a new larger cruiser you will spend more on fuel but live in more comfort or you can go smaller not have as much space and comfort and pay a lot less to hire and use less fuel.  You still see the same places and visit the same locations on both. 

For me it's not just about cost I find the interior of these boats (not Broadlander however that looks lovely) too bare, white and 'plastic' in feel and the older fit outs often have a more cosy homely feel with more use of wood laminates.  I also now will only hire shaft driven boats - save fuel and cut down on the whine the hydraulic motor/pump gives off when underway or running the engine when moored.

• Like 1

hi,

the heaters are 2x 4kw, you are correct, they will use 0.8 litres each when running

we do get vast differences in the fuel useage on most big boats especially hydraulic versions.

it sounds like you had a good time!

You make a good point Robin, one I touch on in my boat review about the hydraulic drive etc. also a good point about the overall experience on the broads is not always about the boat your on. I remember when I was younger all you had was the little gas fire heater things and then it was down to hot water bottles :-)

Like you say hire a larger boat expect to pay more on fuel. Same as a premium boat comes with premium prices but for good reason. I love the older boats as well, mainly for nostalgic reasons and bringing back good memories from my younger years. One of the biggest differences I notice with carousel is the level of detail and build quality is very high. Things like the showers, they are better than most houses have which is outstanding for a boat.

I love all boats but really liked this one and although I know I won't be able to afford this style every visit I will certainly hire one again.

With regard to the fuel cost it sounds shocking but we did do a lot of cruising and had a great time. So I hope it wouldn't put anyone off hiring them. Like you say Robin larger boat, larger engine equals more fuel usage.

Clive we had a fantastic time and I am busy righting up a boat review. Great boat! Miss it already :-(

• Like 2

As promised a few pictures from our holiday.

post-20040-0-97419500-1382997897_thumb.j

Ready to set off from Kingfisher Quay at Richardson's.

post-20040-0-75289700-1382997923_thumb.j

Helens photo taken on our first day on our way to Womack Staithe

post-20040-0-93467600-1382997997_thumb.j

Mooring outside the Herbert Woods Entrance in Potter Heigham

post-20040-0-17260400-1382998038_thumb.j

This was the dinghy as I got it caught up! Oops

post-20040-0-97093300-1382998072_thumb.j

Me and Helen sat on the back seat of Carousel

post-20040-0-23450400-1382998125_thumb.j

Moored up for the second time at St Benets moorings

post-20040-0-84739700-1382998162_thumb.j

The ducks were getting demanding with Helen :-) I love this photo!

post-20040-0-43165400-1382998206_thumb.j

post-20040-0-14524200-1382998228_thumb.j

Moored up outside the Stracey Arms Mill.

post-20040-0-62307700-1382998335_thumb.j

Chilling out in the sun on Surlingham Broad

post-20040-0-08600500-1382998378_thumb.j

Again on Surlingham Broad whilst out in the dinghy

post-20040-0-08306800-1382998414_thumb.j

just being Arty and another one to enter the Richardsons photo comp :-)

post-20040-0-69219000-1382998470_thumb.j

Norwich, I really liked it here, very surprising but the weather helped.

post-20040-0-75354200-1382998512_thumb.j

This was us approaching the Ferry inn, and how close to dark we made it there.

post-20040-0-92470200-1382998567_thumb.j

Our first and only wild mooring, wish we done this more as it is the best way to get the most peace.

post-20040-0-35768800-1382998655_thumb.j

Another of the wild mooring from the dinghy

post-20040-0-10411300-1382998691_thumb.j

Love this :-)

post-20040-0-79719100-1382998886_thumb.j

Another Arty shot

post-20040-0-66684100-1382998910_thumb.j

The Mill at How hill from our last night.

post-20040-0-15410000-1382999001_thumb.j

The Mill again at How Hill moorings

• Like 3

. I remember when I was younger all you had was the little gas fire heater things and then it was down to hot water bottles  :smile: 

I did chuckle to myself, because that is exactly what we have on our own boat now.     Coupled with cuddle up and keep warm,  you cannot beat it.

Thank you for all of your tales and photos.    I have really enjoyed this post.

. I remember when I was younger all you had was the little gas fire heater things and then it was down to hot water bottles :smile:

I did chuckle to myself, because that is exactly what we have on our own boat now. Coupled with cuddle up and keep warm, you cannot beat it.

Thank you for all of your tales and photos. I have really enjoyed this post.

Great memories sat around the fire with the hot water bottles :-)

The camera is a Canon 650D, brilliant camera :-) glad you enjoyed the blog, hope to be back again soon to write another!

I've just caught up with your tale Paul and really enjoyed it, really well written. I think that big 50HP engine is what got you through Yarmouth so long before slack! In August I was nothing like that early but at full throttle we were moving at less than walking pace for quite a while. I winced when you kept going past Stracey though!

I admire your energy in doing all those miles. I'm a bit similar - I love so many Broads mooring places but there's only so long I can sit doing nothing!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Oops presses the end button by mistake!

Anyway as I was saying I enjoy a short cruise on hand over day, also gives a chance to get some hot water on the go to get washed etc. so tat in mind I was looking to find somewhere that Allowed this and was also close to a pub! Oh and was no more than about one and a half hours away from Stalham.

So a steady and enjoyable cruise back towards the river Ant and then towards Ludham Bridge, it was decided we would stop and How Hill and then walk to the Dog Inn.

I like this mooring although it does get narrow along the far end of the moorings. With the sun setting I captured some great pictures of the windmill just after we moored up. We then made a move for the pub, it was a fair walk there but the food was ok and it meant we didn't need to cook having packed the kitchen bags etc. A long walk back to the boat and here we are with a rum and coke and watching tv.

I'll write the boat review either tomorrow or Sunday as I am very tired. We have had an amazing week and all I want to do now is find work down here so we don't have to leave :smile: totally gutted its over.

I'll do a round up tomorrow with fuel costs etc.

Thanks for following so far!

Paul and Helen.

Hi Paul I really enjoyed your holiday tale makes me wish i was there thanks again  cheersbar  Regards KEN 

• 2 weeks later...