Who should pay for the Broads ?

Boaters

You're right to a degree. But as the Broads are the cheapest navigation for tolls, it's probably not a big problem to the BA.

And there is the Rub,

The BA will continue with over inflation increases to tolls and big decorating bills for offices until the toll for the Broads gets to the level of a license on the ooze.

They are playing at being a business but with the boaters money.

• Like 1

Clive, "your troubles are over"

Included in the hire cost of a boat will be the following, river toll, boat insurance, BSC, maintenance, laundry, VAT, business rates, corporation tax, employer national insurance, pension, wages, and probably more I've not even thought of.

So my plan is to give me a broadlander for nothing and I would then have the worry of paying all the costs, don't rush your decision take a day our two to think about it.

ok. I'll get my coat. :naughty:

• Like 4

And there is the Rub,

The BA will continue with over inflation increases to tolls and big decorating bills for offices until the toll for the Broads gets to the level of a license on the ooze.

They are playing at being a business but with the boaters money.

Perhaps. The BIG problem with this is simple; not one of the decision makers seems to have any commercial sense. I am reminded of the time earlier this year when John Packman did an interview on BBC Norfolk radio talking about the tolls and simply tried to equate the cost of a £1400 (or so) toll with the cost of a week's hire on a large (new) boat and virtually said, "There, see, one week's hire has paid for the tolls, what's the problem?"

It's blatant commercial ignorance like this that does nothing to help the BA's image.

• Like 1

I`ve said time and time again, on this and other forums that it`s my belief the BA MUST be made more accountable to the very public that fund them, by being electable, with an emphasis on being involved in the Broads area in some way or another. As it is, they are no better than the energy companies, that refuse to use profit for re-investment. All they do to find more funding is put up the tolls, rather carry out efficiency initiatives. As it is they are "a law unto themselves", and are answerable to nobody.

• Like 1

It seems to me that the BA should take note of what those who " pay the bill" are saying. At the moment I cannot see any incentive from the BA to boatyards who are considering building new boats. As Clive said the older boats do not owe the yard much compared to a new one. Surely it can not be too difficult to work out a toll for each boat based on the boat's age and size without penalising a yard that has the courage to invest in new boats.

I`ve said time and time again, on this and other forums that it`s my belief the BA MUST be made more accountable to the very public that fund them, by being electable, with an emphasis on being involved in the Broads area in some way or another. As it is, they are no better than the energy companies, that refuse to use profit for re-investment. All they do to find more funding is put up the tolls, rather carry out efficiency initiatives. As it is they are "a law unto themselves", and are answerable to nobody.

you can tell Neil is mad,

as he did not sign off.....

Regards to all ....................... Neil

I don't own a boat, I hire....

So, if I was going to vote with my wallet, I would say, Hire yards should pay less than the 2.5% multiplier, then my holiday would be cheaper....

But I am not a NIMBY

I think, and it is only my opinion, all boats should be taxed/tolled by length.....

forget the sail/power/dingy thing....

A  25ft motor cruiser, a 25ft yacht, should be tolled the same

A 10ft dinghy/rowing boat should be tolled the same

But if/when I get a 27/30ft cruiser, they should be toll free....

:Stinky

• Like 1

Personally I've always taken the view that we should erect toll booths at the borders on the A11, A12, A17, A47, A140 etc and make visitors pay to enter our beautiful county ... and some of that money could then help fund the Broads.  Higher tolls to the braying Chelsea Tractor brigade who are heading for the Burnhams of course!

:kiss

• Like 1

Personally I've always taken the view that we should erect toll booths at the borders on the A11, A12, A17, A47, A140 etc and make visitors pay to enter our beautiful county ... and some of that money could then help fund the Broads.  Higher tolls to the braying Chelsea Tractor brigade who are heading for the Burnhams of course!

:kiss

Independence for Norfolk, what a great idea!

Norfolk folk would of course be exempt but would need passports to prove their right of entry.

(We could maintain a DNA database to show those who are entitled to free re-entry but trials have proved that DNA tests are not that reliable in Norfolk as the samples seem to be almost identical) :roll:

But what about the requirements for a Border Agency to collect the toll!

No problem we already have a BA we can just increase their remit.

But we will need a Chief Executive for Border Tolls, and another 2300 staff due to the number of roads into Norfolk and the need for cover 24/7.... 

And what about collecting the entry toll from anyone straying into Norfolk on the water by navigating on the wrong side of the Waveney?

(of course the toll would have to be paid on each entry).

And what about the number of high speed launches required on Breydon in case someone strays over the border?

How can we fund that all this expansion?

I know lets increase the boat tolls for the next 3 years (and then forget to reduce them afterwards).... :norty:  :norty:

• Like 3

It seems to me that the BA should take note of what those who " pay the bill" are saying. At the moment I cannot see any incentive from the BA to boatyards who are considering building new boats. As Clive said the older boats do not owe the yard much compared to a new one. Surely it can not be too difficult to work out a toll for each boat based on the boat's age and size without penalising a yard that has the courage to invest in new boats.

Hi Jeff,

I don`t think a boats age should come into it, as no matter how old a boat is, it`s still occupying space and making waves on the river, If you take 2 40x12ft boats, one 40 years old, and the other being brand new, they are both taking up 480 sq ft of water space, so what difference should the age make?. I think the point Ian (Senator) makes earlier is a very valid one about narrow boats. The area of water they may take up, 60x7ft =420 sq ft, but when it comes to bankside moorings, 2 of the same are still taking up enough space for 3 wide beam cruisers. OK, the toll should be representative of there ground area, but when it comes to mooring, why not make them pay a premium for all that extra length?. Could you imagine how difficult it would be trying to find a mooring on the northern rivers if there were lots more narrowboats around?.

Hi Speedtriple

I THINK YOU MAY HAVE COMEUP WITH A SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM WITHOUT REALISING IT. YOU RIGHTLY SAY THAT ALL BOATS MAKE WAVES SO WHY NOT CHARGE FOR THE AVERAGE NUMBER AND SIZE OF WAVES CREATED AT SAY 1200 RPM BOTH WITH AND AGAINST THE FLOW OF THE TIDE? YOU WOULD HAVE TO GET THE MAN FROM THE BA TO MEASURE AND COUNT THEM ( THAT IS ASSUMING THE BA HAVE SOMEONE WITH THAT CAPABILITY !! LOL

Hi Speedtriple

I THINK YOU MAY HAVE COMEUP WITH A SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM WITHOUT REALISING IT. YOU RIGHTLY SAY THAT ALL BOATS MAKE WAVES SO WHY NOT CHARGE FOR THE AVERAGE NUMBER AND SIZE OF WAVES CREATED AT SAY 1200 RPM BOTH WITH AND AGAINST THE FLOW OF THE TIDE? YOU WOULD HAVE TO GET THE MAN FROM THE BA TO MEASURE AND COUNT THEM ( THAT IS ASSUMING THE BA HAVE SOMEONE WITH THAT CAPABILITY !! LOL

Hmm, measuring a boats waves eh?, now there`s ANOTHER good idea coming to mind. So the best way for a BA bod to measure the bow waves is to strap him to the bow, where you could also use him (or her) as a fender when coming in to moor. Or am i giving BA peronel credit for "multi tasking"?.

Regards to all .......................... Neil.

• Like 1