East Coast Cruise 2008

• 2 weeks later...

What a disappointing few weeks :cry

We arrived Tuesday night and had a relaxing day stocking provisions etc as D&R were not arriving until Thursday night due to slightly differing holidays.

The following 7 days can only be described as very inclement :cry: with strong to gale force winds. We managed an aborted coastal trip and a chug up the Orwell in that time. Some well needed maintenance was carried out on Kingfisher and Kiki but by the following Tuesday SWMBO was getting stir crazy.

Checking the forward 5 days which took us to yesterday (back to work tomorrow) no real respite was shown so regrettably for me I bowed to SWMBO and we disappeared to warmer climes for a quick 5 days.

D&R are staying until Sunday and hopefully with the extra time be able to be able to get in a bit of coastal chugging as the weather does look a bit better this week.

Message from David tonight says he has been up the Deben to Waldringfield & Woodbridge almost down to Clacton and up the Stour. I will catch up on Friday evening but I am sure like us he will be disappointed not to have got further afield but as we have said so many times that is coastal cruising, the weather ultimately decides.

Ah well Belgium will have to wait until next year but we still have another potential 6 weeks on the East Coast, lets hope this weather settles at last

Hi Perry,

really sorry to here that the planned trip didn't materialise as you had hoped, still at least you didn't have to drink any of that nast fizzy stuff.

The British weather does seem to have a nack of messing up the best of plans but at least you can console your safe in the knowledge that the Broads at least, are navigable in virtually any weather, remember "sea boats are for the sea" except when it is imposible to use them there.

Could be worse, could be in a south coast marina with no where to go and paying a fortune for the privilage.

Ian

Hi Perry

thats what boating is about but i wouldn't have been put off by the weather i would have gunned it for Belgium.

well least you will have plenty of time afloat on the broads or if you still want to go down the coast the option is still there.

how did the cats take to the trip

thats what boating is about but i wouldn't have been put off by the weather i would have gunned it for Belgium

As I often say Jonny the weather decides. I assure you that a look at the sea on some of the days would have had you changing your mind about any possibility of getting further than Languard point let alone Belgium. It not just the getting to Belgium its the getting back as well :naughty: With a SE 6-7 you won't catch me giving any thought to making a passage off the East Coast.

This week has been better on the wind front so I hope David & Rachel have been able to get where they wanted to albeit Belgium was not possible.

Cats have their own personal baby sitter at home.

Talking of weather our last minute overseas dash for some respite from the weather was not a total escape.

We had this :o:(

The Dinghy was sucked off a Balcony 300yds away. The Plastic partition between the balcony's looked like it had been machine gunned but was the result of Golf Ball sized hail.

Note the Navigation Buoy pulled up of the sea bed and washed up on the beach

The water was still there the next morning.

Hope the weather is kinder to us this week-end.

Off to try a quick blast out of neptune marina (Ipswich) for a couple of days. plan is to try and get into the Ore, but not a lot of water if we get the tides wrong!

The yacht draws 2.6mt, so have to be a touch carefull where and when we go.

Will try to post a couple of piccies

Andy

That hail looks truly frightening! Where were you?

And for my public service announcement, be warned we intend to take SD to sea again this Thurs, Fri and Sat so expect appalling weather.

Well we made it to the Ore and more importantly, back again.

To say the weather was changable was a bit of an understatement, poodling along under 12/15knts wsw than wallop along comes a 30knt gust complete with raindrops the size of golf balls.

Got a couple of pics though.

post-1-136713410316_thumb.jpg

post-1-136713410331_thumb.jpg

post-1-136713410345_thumb.jpg

Then batteries died !!!!

But great fun anyway

Andy

Andy many thanks for the update and photo's.

We may call on your 'local' knowledge for pilotage on the Ore ;)

It was pretty gusty but at least with it predominantly being offshore it was not too bad although Sunday had a bit more South in it.

Thanks again.

Perry

We had our hearts in our mouths a couple of times I must admit with only an 1hr or so either side of high tide. One spot in the entrance only has 0.4 mt @ chart datum !!!!

Bonus was that once inside loads of deep water although the scenery is a bit bleak (Unless your Bill Oddie)

A

ps even with a tiny swell we saw 0.8 on the sounder (Bit buttock clenching that was)

Perry

I am pleased that I was a few hundred miles father south than you in Spain - Albox - during your shower.

I was in 90+ degrees and only had Spanish brandy for relief!!

Still I shouldn't complain !

Shame about your planned trip. Just look forward to next year now.