Urgent Boating News!

Oddfellow

Hello Andy,

Thank you for the information.

Here is the email in question.

Please be advised that Breydon Water will be closed for Navigation and no cruising on the Broads is recommended until weather conditions improve.

Kind regards.

Chris Bailey

Administrative Officer Operations

Broads Authority

Direct Dial: (01603) 756007

email: chris.bailey@broads-authority.gov.uk

Here is the latest news from the B.A.

Breydon Water has now been opened for transit of larger vessels and due to the improved weather conditions the Broads are now safe to navigate.

Kind regards.

Chris Bailey

Administrative Officer Operations

Broads Authority

Direct Dial: (01603) 756007

email: chris.bailey@broads-authority.gov.uk

Please note my current working days are Monday - Wednesday.

That would make it legal for them to break the law then by obstructing the free right of navigation that a UK citizen enjoys?

Sorry Breydon is an estuary so, regardless of the Harbour authority, must remain open as a passage to sea from the port of Norwich.

Could technically be closed to all non seagoing vessels. 

I believe the Broads Authority has the power, under 2009 legislation, to give a 'General Direction', to all vessels, regarding navigation of any of the Broads waterways (including Breydon) for safety reasons.  Normally such a direction needs 42 days notice, and must be notified via local newspapers etc, but in an emergency (as presumably yesterday was deemed to be) the notice period can be waived.  Additionally the Broads Rangers have power, under the same legislation, to give 'Specific Direction' to the skipper of any vessel.  Failure to comply with the GD or SD is a prosecutable offence.

It would no doubt be similar to the River Thames in flood conditions. They have a system of yellow and red boards at the locks. Hire craft must moor when yellow boards are exhibited, private craft may proceed. When red boards are exibited private craft are advised to stop. They can proceed but if there is an accident the insurance company may in certain circumstances void their insurance. Therefore, if you are told to stop then you do so or shell out of your own pocket if there is an accident.

I suppose it depends on the size of the private craft. If it is a seagoing craft then no problem. However, if it is a bobby little craft such as mine then I would not want to take her across Breydon in the near hurricane conditions such as we have just seen. Anything over a two foot wave and I head for the pub. I have done it in a gale and it was great fun hopping over the waves but it is not reccommended for the inexperienced navigator or if the boat is not up to scrach especially with regards to the engine.

Regards.

Bobby.

• Like 1

I believe the Broads Authority has the power, under 2009 legislation, to give a 'General Direction', to all vessels, regarding navigation of any of the Broads waterways (including Breydon) for safety reasons.  Normally such a direction needs 42 days notice, and must be notified via local newspapers etc, but in an emergency (as presumably yesterday was deemed to be) the notice period can be waived.  Additionally the Broads Rangers have power, under the same legislation, to give 'Specific Direction' to the skipper of any vessel.  Failure to comply with the GD or SD is a prosecutable offence.

That is where there is a problem with giving the BA any powers over Breydon.  If there was an emergency, for instance a large vessel stranded and in danger of breaking up releasing hazardous cargo or goods. Then they would be justified but strong wind on Breydon is not only not dangerous to a well founded sea going craft but is most certainly not an emergency.

Would I choose to leave the mooring in it, probably not. Could I safely navigate Breydon in it if I so chose, without any doubt.