Norfolk Marine Chandlers (Wroxham)

On a recent trip to this shop with a customer, my customer decided he wanted one of the £250 steering wheels that hang above the till. Its lucky that i wanted to check the item before leaving as these wheels require a adapter for the more standard 3/4 morse taper steering unit, these adapters are kept in a box behind the till. Did the guy whom shall not be named but we all know who forget the wheel needs this, or was he just been awkward? as most broads boats have the same steering taper and the majority of walk in trade is broads related why is this adapter not dropped inside every box?

This episode is minor but would have been a huge inconvenience if traveled we back to the customers boat to find his stoooopidly expensive wheel did not fit, would I be able to charge my customer the extra hour it would take to go back and sort the problem? No!

I would put good money on if I was able to get the same wheel from Tony at Aquafax or the guys at B Wards this adapter would have been mentioned or just passed over at the point of sale.  This heightened product knowledge and helpfulness is why I use these suppliers over N Marine 99 times out of 100.        

I regularly use Norfolk Marine, Aquafax, ASAP, Brian Ward, Peachment, and French Marine.

I have had mostly good, but very occasionally bad service at all of them, in equal measure.

I value all of them as good local suppliers, with varying specialties of stock. Much better than having to rely on mail order.

It sounds as though my experience with Norfolk Marine is quite different to Mark's of MBA marine.

Is one of us right and the other wrong ?

Or maybe the truth is in the middle somewhere......

There is no right or wrong just personal experience from each individual, just to try and not miss any local suppliers of Strowagers list in my experience you can also get good local service from Marine & Industrial, Beardshaws, Markwell, Boulters and the little shop at Womack staithe. 

Yes, I forgot to mention Beardshaws.

A fantastic local resource of screws, bolts, and fixings.

They're happy to deal with the public in small (even one off) quantities, and they're based in the same trading estate at Hoveton as Aquafax.

Most shops that do actually stock stainless screws and bolts, (like Norfolk Marine), only stock A2 quality, and only in slotted cheesehead and countersunk. 

Bearshaw usually stocks hexagon, countersink, cheese, heads, with slotted, pozi, allen key heads, in A2 and A4 in metric course and fine, and even some imperial still.

I once needed some 4mm fine screws for a raw water pump cover, and they had exactly what I wanted in stock, cheesehead allen key heads in A4 stainless, in a variety of lengths.