Yanmar Engines

All the discussion about what course of action to take for the future should be ever need to re-engine Silver Dream has centred around the cost of new or second hand Volvo engines. I think some Volvo owners, myself included, are perhaps guilty of forgetting that there are other options.

As I understand it Volvo 280 legs, like mine, are just about the most common (and adaptable) legs available. Any ideas on whether other units can be made to "talk" to the 280's and how they would compare price wise? I know Mr Volvo has a reputation for not being cheap. I did have one company (Lancing?) trying to convince me to fit a pair of Ford Transit engines, marinised. I don't see that as a route to go down, but it would be nice to think I am not just looking at Volvo's should the time come for change.

For example, just up from my yard is Peachment who advertise Nanni's up to 310hp. Could a pair of (much smaller) Nanni's maybe be an option for me some time down the line?

Hi Simon

If you do ever decide to re-engine then it's best to buy a complete package. It can work bolting new engines onto old drives but I have heard lots of stories of boats not performing very well. Not just performance as your old engines may not be producing the same power and torque as they were 20 years ago. If you fit a modern diesel onto 20 year old drives you may hear an expensive bang!! With a complete package you are assured that the engine, drive ratios and prop sizes are correctly matched.

There is a Volvo Penta users group here for older engines but it seems a little quite!! http://www.volpen.org.uk/

Neil

Point taken about the drives Neil. However both were fully rebuilt in Jan this year and, apart from the external casing are all but new drives. Were we to re-engine we'd be looking for about 150hp per side which should be well within the tolerances of the 280's, should it not?

That said, this discussion is presently academic as there are no plans to replace to the existing VP's at this time. Of course, when it becomes more serious more research will be done.

cheers for that Perry - will have a look.

Jonny, have you seen an MD32? I doubt it would fit in your engine compartment!

Fully rebuilt 280A drives should be fine up to 150hp on a diesel but no more. Petrols did go a bit higher as they have less torque.

What you really need is a pair of D3-160's on DP-S legs and your Fairline should go quite well. If you ever want more info on a Volvo then please let me know. If I do not know the answer (very likely!) I can always find out.

Neil

Seconded. Your presence here enhances this forum Neil - and long may we continue to pose questions which gets your grey matter working! ;)

As I said, no present plans to replace the old 32's. No present plans for anything at all very much - at least as far as the boat is concerned. But, purely for the sake of market research, what do you reckon a pair of D3 160's (and DP-S legs) would set me back then?

An acquaintance of mine has a Mirage with twin 145 turbo diesels, not sure what they are (think they might be marinised car engines) and he can get 26kts out of that with big chunky 16x19 props.

I'm off on holiday tomorrow so I'm at home without a pricelist in sight!! As far as I can remember the D3-160 retails at around £13500 give or take a little. As I work for the head office and we sell engines through our dealer network I have to be a little careful about what i say here in case they are watching!! We can only quote retail, our dealers get a discount off that price some of which is passed onto the customer but legaly we cannot dictate what they sell at. You will not go far wrong with either Chris French at French Marine or Bob Brammer at Volspec who are your nearest dealers. There is also Peter Saunders at Northgate Marine, he has just moved from Beccles to Lowestoft, all of them very experienced Volvo dealers. Please don't quote me but the discount can range from 15 up to 30%. Plus if your existing engines/drives/props are servicable there is the outside chance to part ex them to the dealer or sell them on yourself.

As you know there are also costs involved with installation, electrics as the D3 puts out 140 amps, the transom shield may need adapters at aprox £300 each plus you would need new props and possibly new throttle controls as well.

I'm afraid it all gets very expensive!!

Still if your 32's are behaving themselves then you should be ok for a while yet. The only major problem that I'm aware of is the cylinder heads can warp if they are overheated and are very, very difficult to source.

Right I'm off to jump on a suitcase to close it after my wife has packed it ;)

Neil

This forum does not (yet) have an emoticon depicting someone collapsing in shock, so for now I'll just have to use a manual emoticon.

That about does it. Ain't gonna happen. Now then, about the Nannis....

[Edit]

What was that about six numbers Perry? :cry:

The engine temperature is something watched very closely as I am aware of the 32's reputation for liking it hot. Ours have had a new thru-hull raw water feed fitted, and strainers (not standard on the 32's) so hopefully she's less at risk than some, but it is a concern nevertheless.

simon have you ever fort of getting both engines reconditioned and cleaned rather than getting new engines and replacing the legs rather than overhauling them come on they are 30years old good innings if you ask me

I've thought about plenty of things Jonny, believe me. But things change and Susan and I are not in the same place we were 16 months ago when we bought Silver Dream. I happened to be standing in the office at NYA the other day when a man came in looking for a diesel (he was very specific) Mirage. Needless to say I am now in contact with him about a possible private sale. But I don't expect it will come to anything and if it doesn't then the best thing she can do is just sit there and not cause trouble because she doesn't really figure very highly in our plans at the moment.

The engines don't need to be rebuilt, they've only done 1600hrs and run as smooth as you like. The drives have already been rebuilt so there's no point in replacing them now. The only reason to re-engine would be to get a bit more power. We'll only ever ever go down that route if we decide to start doing regular sea work.