a boot yard tale or two..........

650xs

Hi Jon! when we have been passed your Yard it looks even more full that when Mike had it, it was quite busy there back then, my brother John did a lot of re-paints and minor repairs for Mike but Peter Cutting and Brian Greenwood did the bigger stuff, I still see Brian, he's right near us at Broadsedge  last I heard Peter was somewhere in Wroxham but I don't know if he's still around, it all went a bit quite there after Peter moved away, he had a good following because of the standard of his work, I think Brian stayed on for a few more years, we moved from Wayford around 1990 ish, I believe Janet carried on there for a while but I sort of lost track after that, Jon one thing that has always puzzled me! that Green tin House as you approach the yard, who actually owns that and is it used now? it looks no different to when Mike was there, I think it's caught in a time warp,,,

Frank,,,

Jill! looking at that picture again just reminded me of something, the boat next to it, I can't remember the guys name, but that planking he replaced was made from old pallets that were laying around the yard, he was working on it out of the water for at least six years and it was rotting faster than he could repair it, I think it ended up on one of Mike bonfires,,

Frank,,,

• Like 1

the ole tin house as yer put it ,is the ole isolation hostpital from times past for the dreaded tb don,t yer know ....

the man who live in it and owns it is a good ole friend of mine for many a year or 20 now .....

the tin house bungalow is a little tardis inside and as snug as a rug 

pillars on front are plasctic to annoy all who ask ................!!!!!!

a man after my own heart and he and i have alot in common .....................

re boats on the yard .........................

the yard currently house around 250 ish boats land storage sheds and water moorings combined .....

i,m sure no one has had that many on her befor ......................

some boats are still here from the days when mike harvey had it ...blimmmey 

when we took over there was alot of " one a be boat builders " trying to take peoples monies for works etc to which we felt that was rong and removed as soon as we could so they can go and ripp some orff some where else ....

alll of the boats they worked on were either repossessed by us or broken up once the plywood hidden bodges were disscovered...............

several poeple lost alot orf ole monies in boats that were suppose to be fitt to lift and float ....haaaaaa......

ORF MY LAND .....................!!!!!!!

remember we are a full workin /diy yard and have not lost that in mind, always willing to help......

but i know we can please all .....!!!!!

wayfordmarineservices.com ...........wayfordmarinservices ltd 

any one want to buy a yard ...........??????

Hi Jon! I remember being told it was an Isolation Hospital I just wondered who owns it now and if it's used, as I said we were first around 1984 and it still looks exactly the same, shame I can't say the same for Hunset Mill,
You mention wanna be boat builders Kevin who was moored next to us in the new dyke, (the one Mike didn't ask permission to dig out) decided he wanted an extra toilet that he had found in the yard fitted in his big ole wooden boat plus a few small repairs, well ole Kev had short arms and long pockets so he asked some so called boat builder that was on the yard how much to plumb it in, price agreed off Kev goes home, next weekend Kev comes back, spouting what a great job, how cheap and that he was the only one in the yard with two toilets,  a few weeks later there's a knock on the side of my boat, Kev had a big hole in the side of his boat and the Mrs used to pass cups of tea out of our window to him, he calls me and says he has a bad smell in his boat, I told him a rat had probably got in and died or something as we had loads of big rats running around the yard, next day he tells me it's getting worse so I decided to try and help him find it, as I got to the back door a smell hit me that you could cut with a knife, I knew right away what the smell was so told him to pull the floor up, as he did there it was, a bilge full of raw sewage I ran off and left him to it, after pumping it out for at least half hour, yup! back then you could pump it into the Broads, several can of Jeyes later, I went back in to see what had caused it, it wasn't hard to find, the floor was still up and the nice new white plastic domestic pipe gave me a clue, as it was in several bits, the guy who had plumbed it in had used 1 3/4 domestic waste pipe, trouble was it was solvent weld pipe but he hadn't used any glue at all, just pushed them together, so when Kev had pumped the Bog he had blown the pipes apart and it was pumping straight into the bilge, I reckon there must have been at least four weekends worth of sewage under his floor, it took me ages to stop laughing, plus I had to go all around the yard and tell everyone what Kev had done with his cheap job, someone gave him a ball of string and told him he could save money on mooring ropes by using it, I gave him a couple of tyres to use for fenders and a bucket to save on pump outs, the jokes went on for months and his new name was Stinky Kev, The so called boat builder was never seen again I just hope no-one ever had any gas work done by him,,,

Frank,,,

• Like 2

ahh picture my yard ohh dear a mix of everything .......!!!!!

rows orf boots on land some short some long ,some fat some wide .......

steel,woood concrete,ply, plastic and fibreglass too we have them all

from now to past ,,,,,,,,,,,,,

with sail and some with in excess orf 450 hp ..................

with me holes in the rud and mud every where i,m sure yuoull reconize a diy workin boatyard..........

my poor ole yard has seen some changes over the years........................

• Like 1

they reckon i,m the modern day sroooge..................barrrrrrrrrrrrrr....hummmmm bugggggg.....

proof below how generous i am .......

i willl make a call  via  the modern tele phun thinghy to the said boat builder in question  to the mans wife with these intructions .......

mr mattt may have an 30 min break, to return sev mile back hum and spend time with the family  and eat his christmas dinnner , a three bird main and a  pheasant ,duck roasted pots and all the best trimmings etc 

but can mrs matt use the blender thing on his dinner so he can whizz it dun his neck quick and not waste time chewing and get back to tar the bottom orf this boot ........please 

no welcome kisses and no playing with his adorable little princesss.s , use my porsche to get there so he can get there quick and get back quick too......

there will be a straw and a plain glass orf best water hand picked water  from one or me puddles  to which i have strained in mother inlaws  nicker and tights so nice and clean now ......

we did to my wifes nagging give a little present out for all hard works dun by the teams .....

the dogs had been sniffing for days in the corner and i got fed up in the end pullled out the ole sofia and found to me luck three of them ole old naff to toffess from a well known sweet tin .......................

dished out accrodingly with a full hand shack and merry christmass,..........did reform wrapper and wipe dog slivia orrf tooo

so be quick and get back .....................

as for young mr "al " he has to make his time up by starting nice early 5.30 am please ......thank yuo ....

post-24077-0-34940100-1387704314_thumb.j

• Like 1

pics orf some works ..........................

still lfting and chockin and tarring  etc ...............

got a nice ole broom carptain in shud for little repair as per suvey intruc and now a  tarr the ole bottom and antifoul that water line all witha coate or too..........

wil launch her on christmas eve as a treat i reckon

good ole king on her mooring now safe and sound with a happy customer well dun "al"

shuds all full.......................

now orf to lift some more .................happy sunday ....................once ive been to chapel ............!!!!!!!

wind died down and a little blue sky art last 

post-24077-0-29730400-1387704702_thumb.j

post-24077-0-53158400-1387704875_thumb.j

post-24077-0-88836200-1387705014_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

wind blow and rain some more rain then some wind and some rain .................

pooor ole ziggs the goose is even confused aswell ....................

trees on river front to chop up and release............more chocks or willow.........

or maybe a plank .......................!!!!!

if its was going to go wrong it did some call me  "lucky jon" hoist up the squirt.................pressure washer ...more puddles and trees down ................

covers orf boot s.......................flapping stuff every where..............

can,t get this sleepnees nite germ man flu thing gorne...........work for half a day and knackered    back hum to bed ................what a puss..............................

fixed most things now making some boat stands wooden ones and metal ones too, do all with adjustable legs ,i should orf patent the design..............!!!!!

light frost not hard yet, no snow and temps up and down like a yo yooo....

got an mot on one orf the 4x4 just in time for the snow .......ummppphhhhhhhhhhhhh............

so play car mechanic again ,sharpen the chain saw and clean the toilets too.......

...i reckon i should sell up and go and live in that alaska place, except can,t shoot a gun ..........

but i could still shout ..."orf me land"......................!!!!!!!!  to the bears ..................

i have even spent a little time burning some paint orf the boat in shud too so i can take all the credit for the works .................thats for matt and alan .................... :naughty:

• Like 1

blimmey just going through some ole pics ....................

look poor ole sept tide what a stunner she was too 

not now she is on ebag for 8 k no internals etc 

she had a gem orf a 6 cylinder side vlave morris which ran treat loved workin on that one 

talking orf side vlaves i worked on a broads launch famous one which had a side valve in it , a great ole gray marine which would run spot on with out a distrubtor cap on, i did it to prove a pint as i was shown too ............

reason is its broads magic ............!!!!!!!!

post-24077-0-57862700-1388610424_thumb.j

post-24077-0-47749100-1388610583_thumb.j

post-24077-0-41755600-1388610792_thumb.j

• Like 2

well back to yard nice brekkie this morn and goodole srambbelled eggs it was toooo.....

bit orf juice and on it come on ..............

in proceees or tying to get a woodie to us at mo been takin alittle time hope to complete the ole job soon and will give a little rite up or too whata cracker she is too.............

more work on that one tommmorow ........................

been visiting me noghbore today across the pond ..or other side orf the river to sse them how are ur and all that ...............

one member orth the famous dou is in th hossy at mo so get well sooon 

i,ll go and remove some ole trees dun across there basin entrance with me ole tow boot in the style or my fav man on the tellly at mo ...of coarse my hero ........shelby the swamp man whata star .......

so better grab one or me dogs and chain saw and give the ole boot a biggun to pull sum treeess guppp gupp ....

yeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaa....narfulk syleieee.............yippp yippp...............

i,lll do it ...........................

then orf to collect a boot from far away yehaa a tow boat job with me ole mate" mr b" he is me tow boat buddie as we have dun many a trip in day and nite ..................ohhh i willl telll them stories latrs but the ole broads thoirter will have to close thar eyes ..................!!!!!!!

if its illlegal i,ll dooo it ..................................!!!!!!!!!

drive it like yer stole it i say .......................

still got sum more boat to pulll out tooo and more stands to make .phun today rung alittle and sawa a few new faces and welcomed some ole favs back for next few moths 

quick chatt with " jessica " mummmy and daddy but no donkey in tow .............there dog is bigger than a bus and strong as a elephant ...................naw pick up the poooh.......!!!!!!

• Like 3

great the wind blow and rain peeerfect just perrrfect ................

yipppp yippppppp....................

i,m going to gut ma tree trunkin.................and ah toow boootin yeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaa........

welcome to the sunniest place in the uk ...................................

yipp yipp ...................lut gut me a chain saaw and gut them ole trukies ooot orf that ole dike .......

common ................ "dufusss " gey up we got wark tadoo......yipppp yippppp..........

post-24077-0-26766600-1388742099_thumb.j

i have three dogs and" dufuss " is me main man .....................

he is a rescue from the southern side .........................

he is a cross orf all sorts ..............

look like a female with doppy eyes and alll but he is a male ..........................

he real name is "rufus"     ....!!!!!!!!        naaaaaaaaaaaaa............... i,m not calllin that doun the beach would yuo .......

let me tell yer he is the best booot collecter in all orf that narfulk bruds, let me tel yer .......

and sleep for england too ..............

yippp yippp come on " dufuss"

well blast me side ways and alllthat ........

yipp yipp my ****.........

got in late ,naughty boy will deduct wages latr

tow boat no workin starter decided to go into self detruct mode

ahhhhh.........just when I needed you most

so off back side and remove strip rebuilt clean armature reset brushes do the clutch grease and and hehoo.....

she a runner gain ready for today now this afternoon..grrrr

so mad rush to do me ole swamp man thang and orf me ole opo young Kerry fire that chainsaw up and gut tham ole trees dun so those mad private boot owners can got for there two minute ride dun the river ,,,,,,,

three tress and a large potion orf grunt form me boot, turn on the 100hp nose her into bank and drag them ole trees out

the big one took a bit orf doin......chainsaw now blunt

quick ring me ole neighbour to tell orf the swamp man dun a goodun only to be met with a voice on end orf phun to say tankyer and loverly ole job and husband ooot or orf hossy and back hum with thumbs a twiddleing ....

now dark and no light to see ......

big tow boat job "propped " propouned " darr ..... put till to morrow till me ole tow boat mate get his backside away from his office .....!!!!!

I did ask " duff " to come he declined ......grrrr

post-24077-0-57471400-1388769287_thumb.j

post-24077-0-20882300-1388769355_thumb.j

post-24077-0-93134400-1388769406_thumb.j

• Like 1

I have a saying is " we tow while others stow " but today I failed ...............

better rove all wood chippings and ole branches from tonights escapade ........

and " duff " missed out ..........yippp yippppp .....lay bugger

so "tonight Mathew " I will be cooking dinner and then tending to sick wife and sharpening the ole chain saw might need for the ole woodie I,m twoing tomoorow.......!!!!!!

at last were orf to collect the big ole beast orf a gem from far....................

for legall reasons i cannot name vessel yet ..................

whilst watin for "mr b" and his supper son to arvive we got on with a heater problem on a boot and an injector trouble on a single cylinder diesel both fixed and run a treat now....

now i,m half wat dun the ole ladder and on the ground orf the boat in shed and step side ways to steady the ole ladder when me ankle decided to make a sharp ole turn at 90 ` ..........crack went the ole knakered ankle belonging to ancient yard owner in front orf four customers wishing to talk to me aboot booots toooo

dun i went and steady me ole falll against the boot hull whilst managing to swear lots arhhhhhhhhhhhh

i naffed me swankle .........................

quick loook like a man and stand up to only find sharp ole pains in the swankle area..............

so hobble i did and smaile whilst carry on ................

now got to get too tow boot and tow boot back, so drummed up a member orf staff and "mr b " and son to aid failling ole boot owner yard man into the tow boot and orf we go with all life vest on tools and air horn to say out orf me way ................townies ...............

nice trip dun river with not a soul in sight ......untilll little ole lad in bow shutts boat !!!!!

and there to my surprise a richos vessel in fulll tinsle decor with nose pressed hard against windos and camreas in hands ,alittle wave and tip orf the ole hat ....................

got to collection site lifted sinking dinghy out orf way and tied the boot up for towing and set orf wind in me face and all staff at helms to aid steering were orff and away ...........

till there in front f us coming direct to our coarse was the tinlse vessel .............

so i wave and wave and wave , in best shoowing gesture, to no avail ..........

out with full blown air horn and a shout orf my way ,gett on with it ..................

they soon understood and moved about turn sharppy quick and give us room to pass under tow

nice trip back all good and no troubles ......

river was still as a still thing, in shelter parts but barton was a rough and white horses so head into wave to give the boys a taste of " wave in mouth " while standing near bow orf tow boot ....he sooon moved adn even the rear crew got wet too........................

just a few pics orf the river today

post-24077-0-46955500-1388857923_thumb.j

post-24077-0-18072700-1388857988_thumb.j

post-24077-0-15084800-1388858083_thumb.j

look at pooor ole tree...........................in last post

she is split in half,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,amonsg other along the way .................

yard quite today ,see ole mate nice too see and shake hands

queen still being worked on by matt, come matt yer dragging it out abit now .....!!!!!

we tow while other stow and with real man injury too..........................

Speed check area too watch it.........

ohhhh i must get excited too i saw a coot ,as the ole coot shave been missing

lots orf gourmants,swans in gangs and the bank waiting to pounce ......

post-24077-0-41605700-1388858563_thumb.j

post-24077-0-24767800-1388858677_thumb.j

blimmey good idea..........................

no win no fee........................

i didn,t risk aseeesss the moving side ways across the concete floor.........................

accept the yard owner is skint ........................

• Like 1

still in today on sunday 24 7 ...................................

people to meet and jobs to do ..................

got a superb trip dun river ,not a soul in sight .............

workin on a 1923 engine today which was a deadun...................

clean the points reset the ole cap and arm

make good knakered plug cap.strip and clean carb install some much needed fresh petrol and away we go god she did run quite sweet tooo

so goo we went for ride out all way to barton and back .....

not with out dramas ..................

whilst on barton we lost a temp window due to gust orf wind so quick........... window over board routine went in to action .................

full ahead to port and a full cricle takin into acccount wind and tide flow and poss danger to other shipping ..................!!!!

well i,ll say me self whata rescue ...............she was duly collected with a professional team on board layed dun on large front deck and resuscitated ............... given a large dose orf wood prserver ...5 star orf coarse a quick dry with heat gun and a large thin ole coat orf varnish ,dried oot and left to collect thorghts on cabin side .......................

then noot soon after the ole engine decided to have a rest ............once rested she went gain ...but need a little fetling tooo to run super sweet .....

the swankle still blown and brused but bieng a man i,ll carry on .....cough ...cough ....

limp..limp......orhhhh urhhhhh..........

of coarse did goo to chaple first today and thank yer for for day and all that .....

i had a superb crewe on trip so was all enjoyed and saw one orf our local king fishers doing more than the speed limit ...............................lovely

the darling boot is back on mooring now and awaiting next development ......

meet some ole faces today witn ohhhh and ahhhh as they see sum orf the ole storm damage around .....

we did see the ole highland cattle and horses in fields but no giraffes...........

some orf the low feilds were full to the top lookin like some extension the the main broads

as they were so fulll and in some places the bank had sunk into main river tooo....

post-24077-0-90895300-1388996386_thumb.j

first full day back with some nearly full staff and new ones too

little ole plastic to strip and prep for paint works new colour scheme........

meeting with a few customers too.........

more leaks on boats grrrrrrrr......

ole bruds cruiser with new decks and cabins side to rebuild stated again with excited owner clutchin new brochers of new fangle engines with goodies

quick visit onto classic wind boat to which owner are doing a grand ole job nice lookin cosy inside too .......

expecting great ole huge plastic from me neighbour's this week end under new owners from hire fleet to private use so will have a great life and treats splashed on her allover ......

just waiting for conformation on a classic fantastic ole woodie this week which will live with us and proud I will be too have her here ..can,t wait .......

cover another boat up today and repair blasted sanders , whilst on a late lunch got a wife for a while to help

ive been scrubbing the ole toilet block out and cleaning the ole bends must orf been few more people than I thought in last few days ........

washing machine on for ole rags and towels too, domesticated a little ,now where is my apron .......

wind up and down and barometer can,t make its mind up either ....change 990 mb .......bit orf blue sky and rain and cloud

no floods like others have got .poor buggers

orf hum now, dun me bit gain ..try and be on time tomoorow..??