Aquatabs

Hylander

Was discussing the subject of draining down etc prior to winterisation.    The subject of Aquatabs came up.     Whoever said that they could not find them to purchase but I have seen them from Amazon to Ebay in various packs and sizes.

Has anyone used this product in their water tanks on the boat please?

I haven't used these and we usually ask our local publican for a small jar of his beer-line cleanser (you only need a very small amount). I then dilute this with a gallon or so of water and pour it into the (drained) tank in the spring. Then pump it all through the various water lines, one at a time. (Including showers, we have 11 taps!).

Leave it for 20 mins or so and while you're waiting you can add a few more gallons of fresh water into the tank. Then flush that all through and you're ready to fill her up.

If that stuff can kill all the bacteria in beer lines then it certainly keeps ours healthy!

• Like 1

Hi Hylander

I use them regularly throughout the year.Before I leave the yard I fill up with water then drop one Aquatab into the water tank. I think there are various strengths but I use the tablet that recomends the ratio of 1 tablet to 50 galls of water,as my tank holds between 50 & 60 gallons. Leave for 20mins then the water is fine to use.Slight taste of Chlorine initially but this soon subsides. Have to say we do only drink bottled water on our boat but we use the fresh water for everything else.Usually buy mine from Jeckyls at Oulton Broad who amazingly are quite competitive on a big pack.I have not looked at the Amazon price but I will before next season.

Boycee

:band

• Like 1

We have always used Aquatabs. Find them a little expensive but we have always used the water for hot drinks only, and never noticed any taste. I looked online, and I wasn't convinced that all those items advertised were actual Aquatabs so I avoided buying. Norwich Camping stock them. Not sure how the prices compare. I wasn't sure about the Milton as I guessed that items were rinsed after being in Milton, but being a mere man, what do I know? Perhaps rinsing negates the Milton cleansing?

• Like 1

I have a mesh sock filled with ceramic beads impregnated with noble metals to kill off the bugs in my polyurethane lined water tank, it works well and only needs replacing every five years, can be fed in through the tank filler and pulled out again.

Always found I could taste and smell aquatabs, water is perfectly drinkable now.

http://www.hovercraftconsultants.co.uk/products/asp/prodtype.asp?prodtype=61&ph=cat&keywords=&recor=&SearchFor=&PT_ID=&PT_MasterCategory=n

We use Aquatabs with every fill up plus I fitted the Jabsco carbon filter on the outlet

pipe from the tank and we get no smell or taste from it. This way all taps and shower

water comes through the filter and to date we've had no problems at all.

Also at the beginning of the season I flush the tank out a couple of times through all

the taps and then fit a new filter.

post-199-0-38226500-1384361618_thumb.jpg

We use Aquatabs all the time, putting in two at every fill (we have a 100 gallon tank) and purchase them from Brian Wards. There is a slight chlorine taste, but no stronger than some tap water I have tasted. We happily drink the water straight from the taps and have not have a problem. I will add though, that at the end of every season and the beginning of the next we clean the tank using Puraclean from a camping shop. We add it to the tank and then completely fill the tank, leave it for 24 hours, then drain it, refill it, and drain it again to flush it all out.

The bacteria responsible for Legionnaires disease is typically found in the tanks that are reservoirs for air conditioning. They thrive there because the water is normally at a temperature that suits them well. 

I know little of foreign plumbing techniques, but am very surprised that the problem stemmed from a shower head.

However, that apart, I don't recall ever having heard of instances of the disease being caught from a water tank in a boat.