Moorings

Gracie

Wonder if anyone knows the answer to this, can a hire boat moor anywhere past the Red Lion pub in Coltishall upto the end of navigation? Often cruised up there but get a bit nervous because it's seems shallow in places. We prefer wild moorings, would be nice to have lunch at one of the pubs and then moor up past there and sleep it off Lol.

Grace 

Oh Gracie, You will love it there!

Go past the Rising Sun and follow the river along. I splits into two with the left fork saying "Unsuitable for cruisers". That's correct, do not attempt to go up that left fork but carry on with the right fork. It gets narrow and slightly faster flowing for a bit, but then you get to the remains of Horsted Mill and the navigation terminates at Coltishall Lock. It's a wild mooring of sorts in a "not very wild" way! 

The fishing there, or in the weir pool near by is good and it's a short walk to the Recruiting Sergeant, one of my favourite pubs with great food.

I would say it's a good mooring but some of the longer boats may find it a bit tight for manoeuvring. Personally I wouldn't advise a novice up there if they're in anything over 38' 

Maybe I'll get to show you my maggot there sometime!

Best wishes, John the Fish (JtF)

• Like 1

Once you pass The Rising Sun it does get very weedy and

I do mean very! Also there are lots of underwater roots

stretching out into the navigation area which you can hear

scraping along the bottom if the tide is a little bit low so

there is a possibility of prop fouling. Maybe that's why Hire

yards don't like their boats up that section. Maybe Clive will

come along and give his views soon.

We usually go up that section early in the year before the 

weed growth gets too dense, but we are private.

Having moored at Horstead many times in my own boat I can agree that the river can be very weedy and shallow on that stretch. It is no wonder that hire fleets give it a big no no.

For private boats, if you moor on the right hand side at Horstead (going upstream) it is handy for shopping and petrol if you have a petrol boat. Best moor on the left if you want the pub.

On the right hand side, the meadow has many ditches and if you do not know the way back and do not have a strong torch it is difficult to find your boat at night.

Bobby.

A few months ago we were lucky enough to spend a weekend on the Northern rivers aboard Broad Ambition, with some fellow forumites also along with us as guests aboard The Corsican. We went up to the end of navigation, and I remarked on passing The Rising Sun that the sign saying no hire boats beyond that point seemed to have disappeared, so I am not sure if it is still the case.

Here's a picture of Simon (Mirage on here) expertly turning The Corsican near the lock

post-95-0-19728100-1384791369_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks again everyone, we have cruised past the Rising Sun a couple of times and don't recall seeing a sign, but will abide by rules and not do it again.

JTF, might just take you up on that offer I am easily led astray lol, people will start talking if we're not careful.

Grace

• Like 1

Thanks again everyone, we have cruised past the Rising Sun a couple of times and don't recall seeing a sign, but will abide by rules and not do it again.

JTF, might just take you up on that offer I am easily led astray lol, people will start talking if we're not careful.

Grace

Grace, Hi.

I contacted the BA this morning after I'd read what Mark and others said. Here's what I heard; straight from Andy, the BA head ranger for the Northern Broads:

"We have never prohibited navigation to Horstead and the sign doing so was not ours. This winter we will be busy cutting back the trees overhanging that stretch of river to help make it easier.

Next winter it is, at the moment, planned to dredge from the Rising Sun to the head of navigation".

So if your hire company does not specifically prohibit it then follow the guidelines the guys have written  above!  :wave

• Like 3

Hi Hockham Admiral, thank you again for the info, how very kind of you to go out of your way to answer my question,will look forward to mooring up there in the future (boat yard allowing).

Any ideas who might have put the sign up? Maybe a cheeky local who wants to keep it all to themselves and who could blame them.

Grace

You've got that right, Grace, believe me I know. :D

I've never realised until just now, that I've actually kayaked down the river from Horstead Mill; it is a lovely stretch of river, with my niece and partner and I know a lady who lives in the vicinity, who is an author and member of the Richard III Society and she mentioned going to the Recruiting Sergeant if we're ever up that way again. I see that John  recommends it, so it must be good. cheersbar .Completely off subject, haven't had a Broads coffee for a while, getting withdrawal symptoms, hic! cheers

• Like 1