Omni Directional Aerial

Does anyone use an Omni aerial thats fits on to a pole that they could recommend? Any advice welcome. At present use a small rod type one which we have tied to the curtain rail on the inside. This is fine in most locations, but would like something that would enable a better reception in certain areas.

Where are cruising Linny?

We had one on the Northern Broads at Wroxham and it was useless.

Others who cruise the Southern Broads, which are nearer to the

Tacolneston transmitter, got good reception.

We now have a modern, small antenna with a built-in gain which gives

good reception in all but a few areas, trees being the biggest problem.

Thanks for your reply BuffaloBill.  We stay mainly on the Southern Broads but we have occasional problems with reception at places like Bramerton/Rockland or if the tide is quite low in other places.  Have seen Omni's on other boats and thought they may be a better option.  Was interested to hear other peoples take on them, but perhaps from what you say they are not much better.

Hi Linny

We have a Status 330 Omni directional aerial on our boat on the Southern rivers. We have it mounted on our radar arch, but it has a standard threaded fitting so should be adaptable to fit on to an extension pole. We bought ours from Brian Wards which was far cheaper than the local camping shop! The aerial comes complete with a booster with adjustable gain, and we have always been able to get a decent digital signal since the switchover. 

Just one thing to be aware of, the Status 330 is available with either 5m or 10m cable attached. We had BW order us the 10m specially as they only had the 5m one in stock at the time. The cable is hard wired into the aerial so the only way to extend it is to use a joiner which would be detrimental to the signal. As the 10m version was only £5 more than the 5m version, it was daft not to go for the 10m in our view.

TV reception in tree lined areas of the Broads has improved dramatically since the complete switchover to digital at Tacolneston last year. When the analogue signal was switched off, the DVB was boosted in power by a factor of ten.

Before that change, omni directional TV aerials on the Broads may as well have been made of chocolate, for all the use they were.

Now though, most of the people I know find they work really well, even on the Northern Broads.

I use a Glomex omniview, mounted permanently on the radar arch. It needs no alteration or adjustment and picks up a good freeview signal even at Horning, with plenty of trees around. 

post-195-0-99111400-1384939818_thumb.jpg

post-195-0-19606200-1384939829_thumb.jpg

Many of the reflectors have been lost from our directional aerials this season with very little loss of reception, if any. I'm no expert in antenna technicals, but omni-directional aerials were never a good idea in the past with very patchy reports.

Now that the digital signal is boosted (and indeed, we have hard-wired boosters in many of the boats too), TV reception is generally very good. We get a good reception at the yard and the whole of the opposite bank is tree lined!

• 5 years later...

Yes I know this is an old thread last posted on over five years ago now.

However since then we have moved over to all digital and the analogue is consigned to the history bin.

So, we are wishing to invest in a new small-ish (Hopefully) tv aerial to be mounted on top of 'B.A's mast, one that can be removed and stowed away below deck when not in use.  Having spoken with a mate up here in Donny (One of our Lads Week crew) who used to install TV's, aerials, boosters and the like, he recommended an omni directional along with a power booster.  He is going to do a bit of on-line research and get back to me with his recommend.  We have the power booster ready to be installed, we have the co-ax run between under the aft coach house roof and the saloon (Needs a bit of tidying up and re-sighting etc)

My question is what omni direction aerial make / model do the collective forumites in here recommend?

All opinions gratefully received.

Griff

The best way to get the best signal is have plenty of up and down adjustment, for better signals, and to cover the effect of high and low tides on the southern rivers.  We have a fixed flying saucer type on Lightning, which is on a swinging pole. The picture is`nt perfect, but in most areas is acceptable. I have suggest we alter our tv ariel for a more adjustable type, plus all connections in easy to access places, as often, a bad signal is due to a poor or corroding connection, rather than antenna orientation.

4 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

He is going to do a bit of on-line research and get back to me with his recommend.........

Griff

I really believe.... really, the only research suitable is to get out and try it.

We have a cheap lab periodic ariel from screwfix and we have not found any where that we can't get a signal. Trees on a wild mooring haven't been a problem. We do have it on a pole.

We have hired boats with "tracvision" you know , the ones with a big bulbous thing on the fo'c'sle and whilst they maintain a signal whilst cruising with all the twists and turns, (great for the kids!!) once moored, close to trees, they failed. 

Now I,m not saying what we had was typical but at salhouse with "tracvision" we had a picture until we got within stepping distance of the quay......then it went. Happened all holiday, mid river, fine, moor close to a spiders web, no signal.

So, I would say, if getting a tv signal on the move is important then listen to recommendations (I have none) but if you just want a signal when moored ,

https://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-log-mast-periodic-aerial/67576

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Wyndham said:

I really believe.... really, the only research suitable is to get out and try it.

We have a cheap lab periodic ariel from screwfix and we have not found any where that we can't get a signal. Trees on a wild mooring haven't been a problem. We do have it on a pole.

We have hired boats with "tracvision" you know , the ones with a big bulbous thing on the fo'c'sle and whilst they maintain a signal whilst cruising with all the twists and turns, (great for the kids!!) once moored, close to trees, they failed. 

Now I,m not saying what we had was typical but at salhouse with "tracvision" we had a picture until we got within stepping distance of the quay......then it went. Happened all holiday, mid river, fine, moor close to a spiders web, no signal.

So, I would say, if getting a tv signal on the move is important then listen to recommendations (I have none) but if you just want a signal when moored ,

https://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-log-mast-periodic-aerial/67576

After spending a small fortune on various omnidirectional aerials we finally ended up with the one shown above, which if you look at the majority of hire craft now seem to have them, and they work fine now that the digital signal has been boosted to a satisfactory strength, yes you will still get places where there is no signal, the same places your mobile phone Won't work,life is like that :-)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great feedback, TVM.

We have in stock a 12v powered booster box so I am thinking the cheap n cheerful screwfix jobby as a trial first using it with and without the booster box and see how we get on.  The idea is that I'm gonna fit a small mounting bracket to somewhere unobtrusive on the top of the mast then simply slot the aerial into it and plug in the coax (This will be run inside the mast to a flush fitting socket) the aerial when not in use can be removed and stowed inboard hence it being quite small is a bonus.

Watching tv whilst underway? It hasn't happened, never felt the need, besides it would make helming kinda awkward!

Griff

BA NBN 494.JPG

1 hour ago, annv said:

Hi I use a Ballard from Wards it's the best reception i have ever got after trying several different types of  aerials and it's so small and inconspicuous it can be left on roof only removed when very low bridges , John 

I think you mean ‘ballade’ which we have too.  http://www.brianwards.co.uk/audio-tv/televisions-aerials/ballade-tv-antenna.html  We have it on a long pole and have found it brilliant. Reception does seem to have improved over the last few years anyway.

• Thanks 1

We used to do the extended aluminium pole system ourselves, still got them.  It worked too.  But it was a right pain / time consuming affair erecting and then stowing the ensemble, plus having room onboard for the poles and too large aerial.   Clambering onto the aft coach house roof to then plug the coax in.  I'm trying to clean up the whole affair going minimalistic while improving performance.  There is already a coax under the aft coach house roof, this will eventually go up inside the mast to a flush not to be seen socket.  Then a short coax into the removable aerial that will slot in the top of the mast with a pole so the aerial will have plenty of height, I'm guessing it will be about 15ft above the river

Griff

• Like 1

John / Vanessan Tks again - another good recommend.  I just so appreciate this kind of feedback / recommends - You can't buy this kind a help.

That Ballade looks good.  Not to big and easily stowed when not in use.  I will need to fashion a aluminium pole for it that will slot into the top of 'B.A's mast.  Plus B.W's is on Robins doorstep and we can get the NBN 10% discount too :default_beerchug:

Griff

• Like 2

Although we now get a brilliant signal on are very minimal aerial, we don't really watch that much television I always like to watch the local news while I'm having my evening meal, but then I have pre-recorded films and interesting programmes on my little USB keys which means I have endless entertainment without the fear of crap reception in some places, So basically nothing to spoil my enjoyment :default_biggrin:

• Like 1

Hi Griff Mine is only 5 foot above the water works fine i haven't used the mounting that it comes with i have a small sockit screwed to roof type used for pennit pole i then fixed a stainless pole 6 inches long to bottom of Ballade this makes it easy to lift out when very low bridges , on the odd occasions i need to extend it, i have a piece of dowling to extend it if moored at WRC or Bramington where signal is blocked by high ground. John

• Thanks 1