Thefts - be on your guard

Oddfellow

.....At the end of the day I cannot see what these idiots get out of doing a stunt like this......

.... All they have achieved is causing a great lot of grief to one poor owner........

It's often difficult for most civilised people to understand the mindset of vandalism and so called "joy" riding.

We naturally think within the constraints of our own moral standards and consideration for others.

Vandals unfortunately have a completely different outlook on life, and probably enjoy causing distress to the victims by their actions.

The boat may have been found, but it is not recovered. In fact, it's been rammed deep into a soft bank and is high and dry. Today's high tide wasn't at all high and so tomorrow may be the first opportunity to deal with recovery.

The police have all-but admitted that there were errors in procedure last night that massively lengthened the time it took to take any action.

The criminal that we're looking for has a Liverpudlian accent.

hi all, i know that they say that you should leave your fuel tank full over winter to stop condensation building up, but for those that do that but don't winterise their boats are making it easy fir these theives to go on a long joyride, it's a pity there is'nt any way to actually lock the fuel off, so that it stops these theives in their track &also put a tracker on the boats so that you know where it is . lori :-)

Not sure that unless it's a seagoing vessel that could go a long way leaving a limited amount of fuel in the tank would help. Apart from the condensation issue mentioned by Lori we could get ourselves into all sorts of problems trying to run on the water and crap in the bottom of the tank Also just a couple of gallons would get the "poor misunderstood individual" to get as far as they would like. As far immobilising it as previously mentioned is hardly possible on an ancient engine they can be started without needing to go anywhere near the keyswitch. Let's face it the scrotes can override the sophisticated immobilisation of a modern car Turning the fuel off could be effective but once again the owner could run the risk of catching themselves out and get out onto a tidal river and not be able to restart without a lengthy bleed of the system

On the subject of theft from full tanks I don't believe trying to lock the tank is a good idea. It's not really possible to do so in a way that would keep anyone other than an honest person armed with nothing more robust than a feather out. I would rather lose a few gallons of fuel than suffer a damaged boat and lose the fuel as well

Hi Little sprite. Well sure we gotta try but What I was saying is we have to be realistic. On the first point, not sure if even I would go as far as advocating hanging for nicking a boat. Anyway I am not going to be the one who is responsible for diverting this thread onto a rant about soft penalties. No doubt someone will before it's done. It almost went sideways into a "plod bashing"

:wave  I hate to say this but,some hirers make it easy to steal a boat, they chain all their keys up to the dashboard, but I always take it off & put it on my keyring while we're hiring it, I know it's probably because people keep losing their keys but if someone gets on your boat when you're hiring it, not only does it make it easy to take the boat ,but they also take your belongings, which can be heartbreaking if you've got a lot of electrical goods onboard, we once went with another company, but I can't remember who it was, but they'd superglued the key in, & we went to loddon & went across road to have a cuppa & some cake at carolines, as you do , :grin:  & while we were there we watched some bikers go over to our boat ,& they had a good look around & left then came back again 10 minutes later, so I went over to the quey & made it clear that I was watching them & they took off, but it made us very nervous, so we didn't stop the night,   lori

A quite low cost tracker can be installed in a boat very easily with an independent power supply.  Various user options can be sellected, like a txt message if the unit moves more than 50 metres. You can remotely activate a wired in microphone, listen and record voices, remotely control engine immobilisation,  and view the whole thing as a live location on Google maps.  All for £ 50 from China !

Regards all, Paul

Recovered and back on it's moorings today.

Police have an entire battery chicken farm's worth of egg on its face over this for effectively ignoring a crime in progress because they mis-tagged the calls (so I am told).

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/crime/police_criticised_over_response_to_river_yare_boat_theft_after_thieves_escape_1_3022317

The important point here is this: the force has accepted that mistakes were made in the handling of this and have appologised.

In the light of so many thefts not only on the Broads but on many rivers all over the country I think that the best deterrent is to lock your boat to something very secure on the bank and use proper security hardened locks and chains. The proper locks and chains may seem expensive compared with the cheap mickey mouse products but they certainly are a deterrent to all but the most determined thieves. 

With regards to alarm systems, my own boat is fitted with a simple car alarm with an over one hundred decibel siren concealed in the cockpit area which has frightened off more than one ar****le.

Bobby.

Incidentally, if anybody is thinking of fitting a car alarm to their boat, make sure that the live feed is taken off on the battery side of the main battery switch and covered by a suitable fuse. Details for proper fitting are covered by the BSS regs.

Bobby.

Right Ladies and Gents, listen very carefully, I shall say this only once....

Sorry Neil but you kinda hit a nerve there!

Hi JTF, no need to apollogise, you have`nt done anything wrong.

Regards to all ......................... Neil.

Edited by Hockham Admiral