Painting internal Wood

therealist

I want to go through my boat and paint some floor panels and under floor storage areas with some grey paint, most of my underfloor areas are a light battle ship grey that seems to have soaked into the wood rather than put a surface on it. What product would be best used for this? Is it just a primer? I am having trouble finding the right colour in a primer, I have used an International Grey Wood Primer elsewhere but its a bit lighter, Anyway any advice as always will be muchly appreciated!

I want to go through my boat and paint some floor panels and under floor storage areas with some grey paint, most of my underfloor areas are a light battle ship grey that seems to have soaked into the wood rather than put a surface on it. What product would be best used for this? Is it just a primer? I am having trouble finding the right colour in a primer, I have used an International Grey Wood Primer elsewhere but its a bit lighter, Anyway any advice as always will be muchly appreciated!

Bilge paint. many different brands and colours. 

i reckon thta yuo have a single coate of the fav international damboline bilge paint a high opacity paint for the boot under floor and in the ole cubords too........

in lain english its a oil base paint whch help s the surface breathe ,but be warned whens its cold it takes a week and a day to cue .................brrrrrr................

or its an old fav a mix of pink /grey primer with a hint of woood preserver used as a good base seal etc for bare wood in and below the cabin sole etc 

or some old grey wood paint of sorts ................either or sling it on ...........

I vote for Danboline too, like 650xs.

Marvelous stuff for bilges and under floors.

It has amazing covering power and dries to an easy clean silk finish.

Very tough when dry too.

I buy it in two and half litre tins and always do all of the bilges of each boat that I buy.

post-195-0-15333500-1385628108_thumb.jpg

I think we went off topic there a bit with the 2 pack, 

Damboline is the way to go, the Marine industrial stuff is a bit thin. Make sure the stuff on ebay is not too cheap as it may be a copy..

Given how many gallons of it that must get used in Clive's fleet, that's a difficult act to follow.

I've used other manufacturer's bilge paints too, but although cheaper, non have matched the covering power and durability of the International product.

Strowager, I'm reet jealous of your bootiful clean engine bay! Mine's all horrible dirty and black from my leaky old Perkins. :smile:

As Adrian Monk would say, "it's a blessing and a curse".   :)

Other people quite sensibly just use the damn things, and concentrate on the essential maintenance.

I think we went off topic there a bit with the 2 pack, 

Damboline is the way to go, the Marine industrial stuff is a bit thin. Make sure the stuff on ebay is not too cheap as it may be a copy..

leave the lid off the Marine & Industrial bilge paint for a couple of days and it thickens up fine, its not short on pigment.

Back in my Oyster building days it was Blakes bilge paint used.

Mine was clean, once........

SS850629.JPG

Then started it up and used it.

mmmm...  very nice Leo.

I somehow doubt that you'd ever let it deteriorate though, after making such a nice job as that.   :)

Ordered some Danboline in grey off ebay, this stuff does go on to plywood to doesn't it!! It was £20 for 750ml so it best be the real mcoy!!

Fear not, it goes on to plywood and wood really well to, with no colour tint change either, so adjacent surfaces of wood and GRP look like the same material after painting.

I once refurbished an old plywood Mirror Dinghy, where the interior was sound but too stained  to re-varnish.  The grey Danboline made a lovely job, completely covering the "bruised banana" of the old wood. It gave a very tough easy to clean surface and lasted for many years.

Hi all

I know 650xs has said a single coat of Danboline but do I need to prime bare wood first? Ive now got a load of floor panels in the workshop ready to start on

I've only ever used it on "old" wood, that had been previously painted and sanded down.

I never bothered with primer or undercoat on there, but did do two coats. 

It covers so well that you can brush it out quite thin, which helps with the drying time, especially at this time of year.

It probably would be a good idea to prime new wood though.