madeira 2

andyhesford

booked for aug 14 anybody hired it can u tell me if any good

We hired a near identical sister class (Opal Gem) earlier this year and had a good holiday.

The saloon is sociable (the galley also), the sliding top is great to enjoy the sun & get under the bridges with in one piece and the handling was OK.

On the downside the forward wc/shower is very small, and both toilets seemed to be a bit smelly to be totally honest, though I am not totally sure why.

Dan

Hired the near identical Tropic Horizon this year. The central saloon is great, large even by centre cockpit standards and with the bonus of a high level seat for non-helmsmen. As Dan says the front washroom is cramped although we had no issues with smelly toilets on our boat. My biggest gripe was the eccentric rear door design in that the door is on the side of the boat instead of the stern and so it's blocked when the canopy is open. To reach the stern with the canopy open you have to climb out using the steps in the centre then carefully creep down the side deck by the saloon with no rail to hold on to. That's fine if you're fit and mobile, not so good for young children or anyone with mobility issues. The handling wasn't great compared to other boats in my experience, but perfectly manageable. Very good value for money overall.

I'm not the best expert Andy. The last photo was taken at Pyes Mill Loddon. I wouldn't have worried about ropes for the tides on that particular spot personally as the tidal flow isn't much. However we were moored next door to a helpful soul who I tried to listen to. Basically as I understand it, you use your far stern rope to do what the nearest stern rope usually does, then use the near stern rope to go to a post somewhere half way down the boat. You can do similar with the bow ropes.