Hard working Engineers & winter maintenance

LondonRascal

I must say that following the winter maintenance currently underway at Richardson’s - https://www.facebook.com/BoatingHolidays - is greatly interesting me. 

Admittedly I am rather ‘into boats’ and this may not interest everyone, but it is a bit like seeing trains day in and out and then you see in the shed and how they are worked on – that ‘behind the scenes’ feel I think is special and makes the everyday just that bit different, even to see how some of the boats look out of the water – their hull shapes usually hidden from view.

But I know it is not just Richardson’s who are beavering away during these colder, shorter days on their boats – all over the Broads boatyards large and small will be working on their boats and in the main it must be a thankless task getting dirty and greasy is hardly something to look forward to, but add in a damp cold day and it goes to show how hard owners and engineers work when the season is over.

If I could, I would give you all a Mince Pie and a Brandy – but then I would not be able to afford next years trips, but take one ‘virtually’.

• Like 2

Its not just boatyards on winter refit duties, I have most of the floor panels from my boat in the garage for painting and maintenance, and the interior of my boat and engine looks like they are in 100 pieces at the moment! I think I can remember how it all goes back together! I have a list to be going on with to and I will hopefully have it back in one piece for next season!

We are very lucky to have such a good Lifeboat service in the UK. I an unfortunately an inland dweller but I would love a sea boat should the oppurtunity ever arise. I have spent time at sea with one thing and another over the years and I would love the freedom a sea boat would bring, maybe one day and I hope you manage to clean your tanks ok !

We are very lucky to have such a good Lifeboat service in the UK.

You're not wrong there. Great guys (and gals) and I am just pleased I managed to raise some cash for them earlier in the year taking part in a charity abseil. As the Cox shouted to his crew when I told him "It's alright guys, this bloke's paid in advance!" :)

• Like 1

We're all at winter maintenance. 

Today, we finally finished winterising the fleet and we're busy beavering away at making a new forward cabin roof for Rambling Freedom; we hope to be able to finish the main work on this by early next week so that we can remove the old roof that's being used as a former and then do any necessary repairs to the bulkheads before fitting the new roof, bonding and glassing it into place and finishing the gelcoat surface. 

64 boats being fitted with teak and holly laminate flooring,

6 new engines,

12 new cookers,

4 new boats

6 all over paint jobs.

100  new sets of curtains.

5 new heaters.

plus the usual 320 hull paints and antifoul.

all the usual fettling, upholstering varnishing, all underwater gear checked,

gel repairs fiberglass repairs..

All between November and Whitsun.

also plenty of work on Kingfisher quay which will look really smart..

• Like 1

it looks better than lino,  we don't have carpet on our boats(may have missed one) on the floors on the bulkheads or in cupboards as it is not exactly hygienic. and really hard for the customer to keep clean..

we have other reasons but cant give everything away!