Mudweighting on Barton Broad

Broads01

I do enjoy mudweighting for a while on a fine day and I've frequently done so at many of the usual spots. However I've never done so on Barton Broad because the thought of straying outside the channel always puts me off. One thing that's always surprised me though is how many boats seem to choose a spot miles outside the channel. The attached was taken this August Bank Holiday during the regatta and it tends to illustrate the point! Can any one tell me where's safe and not safe to mudweight on Barton?

post-63-0-22323900-1386280355_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

All the northern bit of the Broad is basically OK except where the markers show Shallow Water on the eastern side where there is a hard baulk...In the south of the Broad boards and buoys clearly show where it shallows off and whilst people do go in here, beyond the  boards , it is best to know where you are going.

However all round the edges there is much more weed than there used to be, and I have noticed it more up the Neatishead arm, and whilst it is stringy looking and unlikely to be an issue, perhaps you should be mindful of it.

Otherwise enjoy your mudweighting on what is one of the more beautiful Broads - its especially lovely late in the evening and early morning.

I sail a lot on Barton, and my boat draws about 1.5 metres.  I'll happily take her way outside the channel markers on the main part of the Broad, and I've been known to push the nose into the reeds and sling a rope around them (on both east and west banks) to moor and brew up a cuppa.  As has been said already, stay well away from the island, and it's also pretty shallow on the east bank a little north of the island,  and south of the entrance dyke to Woodend Staithe.  I'm a little more wary outside the marker posts (particularly to the south) along the Neatishead arm.  However even down there, once through the narrow section just beyond the Nancy Oldfield pontoon,  and reaching where it widens out to the north side, you'd be pretty safe.

I've been Mud weighting outside the markers on Barton for thirty plus years with no problems, if anyone knows Barton, Marshman does! the only bit I can add is if you have extra eyes on the boat, watch the back of the boat and if you see the prop churning up mud back away, never been stuck but better safe than sorry,,,

Frank,,,

Simon! I don't know if any others do this? but as I mentioned I often moor on Barton, most of my boats have been between 25ft and 30ft but I always carry two mud weights, during the day if I'm fishing I put one at the Stern and the other at the Bow to keep it steady, if I moor overnight I put both at the Bow so I have a swinging mooring, the wind can suddenly come up on Barton and I found with the swinging mooring I don't tend to move position,

Frank,,,

• Like 1