Private Mooring Help

JawsOrca

Hello,

Although I'm newly signed up I've been on the broads for many many years! and I follow the forum frequently (Liking the new format too) (and also my old Id appears to have gone walkies!)

Anyway, after owning a sailing boat for the 8 years I've finally acquired a cruiser! "Orca" is a sabre 28 and will be perfect for the broads! We have a years work ahead of us though to refit and make her into a modern cruiser (And shark proof - although hopefully there's not many opportunities for great white fishing on the broads). I'm looking for some advice on private moorings.

I'm wondering whether I need to start panicking now on finding a suitable mooring for the boat considering we will likely will not be bringing her up until Easter 2015? I hear stories of long waiting lists and wonder if these are true or if there are ample mooring available and we really can "turn up and moor" (withing a couple of weeks notice)?

I'm also struggling a little to locate details of private moorings on the broads so I'm finding it hard to gauge prices. Ideally I'd like to pay no more that £1foot/week, do you think there are moorings for this? (Considering my sailboat costs me £500 a year on a swinging mooring in kent £1foot/week sounds a lot!!).

Can you suggest any suitable/cheap! moorings for us? (The boat is 28 feet long with a swim deck with an air draft of 8feet so wouldn't get under PotHam. deepvee hull (3feet I guess)). I'm not overly fussed on location as long as its relatively secure but would maybe prefer northern rivers.  I've heard some stories of £800pa moorings but I really can't find details on theses, Perhaps I need to get up there in the car and have a good drive round?

Hope someone can help any many thanks in advance for any help! 

Kind regards, Alan

Hi,

Most moorings round the Broads charge per year so £52 per foot per year is a reasonable amount but doubt you would get a mooring in Horning or Wroxham unless the you go coltishall side of Wroxham bridge.

We have moorings in Stalham for £41 per foot per year

(we also have some in Horning but are £55.)

all inc VAT.

• Like 1

Hi Alan ,

Many thanks, I've just stumbled across that list actually and I'm smiling here to think there really are moorings for £850 which is about the same as what are paying at the moment for both boats!  But it seems like they maybe hard to come by.

Thanks for doing this list though it's very helpful. I'll spend some time looking at detail and getting in contact with people! Shame we have to refit and can't get straight up there!

I wouldn't worry about the old username but thanks for the offering.. I quite like this Username its a bit more nautical!

Thanks again,

Regards, Alan

• Like 1

Like all things, you get what you pay for!!!! There are plenty of moorings I would not go near because of position/lack of facilities but if you are not fussy then cheap moorings with no facilities are around.

But if you value your pride and joy and you want to be somewhere more central, then perhaps £1500 a year may seem a bargain!!!!

• Like 1

Like all things, you get what you pay for!!!! There are plenty of moorings I would not go near because of position/lack of facilities but if you are not fussy then cheap moorings with no facilities are around.

But if you value your pride and joy and you want to be somewhere more central, then perhaps £1500 a year may seem a bargain!!!!

Good point! Although I'm far too trusting of people so maybe... But I'll try and remember to consider security although I'll make shes all insured as I guess nowheres safe, even the backwaters of norfolk and suffolk. 

Unfortunately especially the back waters of Norfolk at the moment,

There are a lot of Outboard thefts, apparently by Eastern European gangs, so if your boat is outboard powered think very carefully about where you store her as they are ripping the transom out to get at the motors.

there are a lot more spaces on the Broads than there were 5 years ago but I guess that is true of anywhere, what the position will be like in 18 months time is anyone's guess.

Good luck with the refit and photos would be nice.

• Like 1

Curiosity led me to a Google image search, and "Sabre 28" gives two quite different results !  (both nice looking boats though).

The heads up on security is very wise, thefts from boats has risen significantly on the Broads in the last few years unfortunately.  

post-195-0-93123000-1387283613_thumb.jpg

Thanks again, we do have some problems down here on the Medway, and it is generally just outboards(Or dingy's) but we have had some 120hp outboard go too including the transom.. Its a huge shame what selfish people do :(

(I think) I've attached some pics.

She was a bit green after standing for many years (Before we got her) so the first is after I gave her a wash.. As you may see the gel coat looks OK and I'm hoping to get away with not painting her.

The second picture was the day after I washed her and I got inside to tear the insides out (I work tidily!)... We are on day four and the transom has already been replaced and the engine beds are going in on day 5.

From the googling I've done it appears sterling sabres where built in cambridge but used by harvey eastwoods quite a bit and I think there's still a couple on hire (Perhaps Richardsons?).

post-28066-0-00538500-1387283903_thumb.j

post-28066-0-53484700-1387283922_thumb.j

An air draft of 8' and a deep Vee hull make me bet on the top image of the two Strow.

Very nice craft whichever.

Edited to add...

Whoops too slow again. Yes JawsOrca I see what you mean about tidy working, much like me really! That gelcoat looks very good, no need to paint by the looks!

Hi,

Apparently it had a single v6 petrol but that's long gone! I've seen sale adds with some chunky twins in there..That would be nice! But a bit unusable on the broads and a tad expensive!

I think we are going with a baby (in comparison); 70hp marinised Peugeot diesel engine (Its what came with the hull). I'm only aiming on using it on the broads but hopefully this will give us the option to take her out (Or bring her round) if we chose. It came with a 1.5 BMC but I think thats a tad "boring".

I did think of doing a restoration feed actually as it will be nice to keep tabs on the rebuild. I normally use facebook but I think friends get a bit fed up!  I'll get one up and going if people will find an interest.

Regards, Alan

• Like 1