Sabre 28 - Cruiser - Project

JawsOrca

Lol thanks Guys.. Iain.. This forum seems easy  :liar lol

So good to get back to work today after a short week lol. Thankfully the snow forecast didn't arrive although it was cold.  We didnt get over too early which was nice though. 

I tackled doing some sidelining carpet, I had to trim back the vinyl one first and remove the form and glue that back first. Then glue up the carpet (I used the same glue as on the foam backed stuff), I did in a 4 sections to make sure it stuck and it was easy :) I've trimmed back most of it apart from the top edge which will need some clear glue as this stuff is green and cant be used on visable edges. We also put in three ciggy lighters (One 12v for general use, 1 USB, and one for a TV if we get one.

Whilst I was doing this Dave tackled rebuilding the sterndrive, All bearings are good he said and he installed the new lower oil seals and bolted it together. He also installed the steering and thankfully the transom mounted bracket I found on ebay for a couple of quid (and new old stock) fits perfectly. 

Tomorrow, more carpet, if theres no rain we may epoxy paint the stern drive and start on the swimdeck (Although we need some parts).

Pics attached of the carpet and the dining room is looking finished (The trims came off to make the carpet go on.. I took pics before they went back on but looks even better with trims on :)

post-28066-0-54174900-1419618829_thumb.j

post-28066-0-76316700-1419618855_thumb.j

post-28066-0-93974700-1419618872_thumb.j

post-28066-0-74202600-1419618889_thumb.j

post-28066-0-76392700-1419618906_thumb.j

• Like 3

Hi Alan,

Another few jobs ticked off the list. I do hope you miss that snow forecasted down south. Very raw here today, but no white stuff, just the odd spot of rain. Now get back to work, really, slacking on Christmas Day pah ! hehe. Nah, like your carpet colour choice, blue n white nice combination, reminds me of a certain Saltire flag colour. :naughty:

xmas6 Iain.

• Like 1

Sorry Iain, as much as I love blue, the carpets a charcoal colour but the phones not picked it up well and I'm colour blind and dave said it's green so I don't really know lol

I'm hoping we will get away with it, although cupboards are full (so much so that stuffs even making its way over to this boat!) and the heatings working so doesn't really matter! Although it will be nice if it warms up as so we can get a ton of work done! I want it finished lol! cheers

• Like 1

Today started with a shopping trip as we needed the odd thing, but we got everything to get us through the week hopefully. Although we still got 7 hours work in.

Dave played with the table saw and managed to make up the door frame and trims for it and got it installed to be honest I think he did a good job.. I should let him do more timber work.  He also got a coat of primer on the stern drive.

I tackled the carpet on the bunk sides in the front cabin and got very high doing so (I still am!) It's a nasty feeling.  I also glued up some of the vinyl sidelining as I found some glue and that was a nice a job to tick off.. I just need to trim the top of the carpet but I'll need to find some decent scissors as I daren't use a blade on it.. I think it looks ok in there although it's hard to tell for sure as we finished under candle light (or near neigh). 

post-28066-0-58021900-1419706756_thumb.j

post-28066-0-97910700-1419706768_thumb.j

post-28066-0-34192400-1419706782_thumb.j

post-28066-0-31219800-1419706795_thumb.j

• Like 5

Another good day.. cold, but I'm getting used to the cold now!.. and I worked out the heater has a turbo button :dance ... useful!

So inside (infront of the heater) for me today.. mum and dad came down with some proper scissors which did the trick and I managed to neatly trim the tops of the carpet on the bunk sides, It came up alright.. I think the way I done the sidelining has worked well (i.e bringing it below the gunnels). I glued these down together with bits of the sidelining which I left until I got more glue (Note to self.. any clear adhesive works you don't have to get conned by certain companies.. so toolstation £1.38 glue worked well (Instead of £8 a tube!)..also an empty icetea bottle is perfect for supporting the material whilst the glue sets! I also reglued up the led strips in the loo which fell down before (I glued up before just using the glue on the back which didnt last - It's stuck now). Also chiselled out the plugs on the door frame so that's ready for varnishing.  Finally I measured up the area for cushions so I can start getting quotes. 

Dave, had a longer day than me (too cold lol!), he started early installing the 12v ciggy lighters inside, then temporary installed the stern drive so he could construct the swimdeck/"sterndrive protection device for norfolk stern on moorings".. despite it's flimsy appearance its actually already strong.. we just need to get some timber for it and it will be better than the chinese imports which was the alternative.  Leg off and painted with primer... He then started doing more electrical work and apparently used a ton of cable.

Tomorrow we hope the get on with the cupboard above the fridge sorted.. I hope to also get the hull primed up to the waterline (which I need to guess!).. to be honest though.. the jobs are running out for me now  :party1: but I suspect there's lots left for Dave, although even for him it's nearing completion... I think we are well on the way to be up there "soon".

post-28066-0-04183200-1419796126_thumb.j

post-28066-0-38324700-1419796137_thumb.j

post-28066-0-46856300-1419796147_thumb.j

post-28066-0-34871300-1419796172_thumb.j

post-28066-0-68156600-1419796182_thumb.j

post-28066-0-66243300-1419796220_thumb.j

post-28066-0-44886200-1419796242_thumb.j

post-28066-0-38694600-1419796252_thumb.j

post-28066-0-32657200-1419796262_thumb.j

post-28066-0-77450200-1419796271_thumb.j

• Like 5

Alan, I know I don't often have much to say and can quite often get stuck for words :liar (ok, a bit of an exaggeration there) but the photos are fantastic, thanks for posting and your stern drive thingy (or whatever it is) looks excellent, once again well done to you both  :kiss

Grace

p.s Love your black fenders, should have been pink though :naughty:

• Like 2

Thanks Grace, It's feeling a bit weird to be honest...slightly tearful.. The light at the end of tunnel is well and truly shinning.. It really does feel like we are on the home run now!  :Stinky

Today was a long day.

Before going over I emailed a few upholsters to get an idea how much these cushions will cost  two guns

Dave managed to separate the steering linkages from the spares we brought over the year (Poxy grub screws) so we now have one decent steering linkage, which is all good. Next we managed to get some mouldings trims done (First time with the table saw doing this) but these went in fine around the wardrobe.. Miltred too and looks good. I then stock my head in it and carpeted the inside of the wardrobe, which took me all day, although it's not small and I did a tidy job (and I had to stop to get some oxygen). Whilst I was doing this dave built the cupboard above the fridge, this was no small job and took the rest of the day. 

Finally before finishing we made a shopping list for bits for tomorrow and it pretty much fitted on the back of a postage stamp!! (Brushes, Hinges for wardrobe, Push lock for wardrobe and some glue)!!  :dance

Not brilliant pictures attached but it's hard to capture these bits due to shadows :shocked  (That's my excuse anyway!).

post-28066-0-99836100-1419879602_thumb.j

post-28066-0-28915900-1419879612_thumb.j

post-28066-0-81623000-1419879627_thumb.j

• Like 4

Hi Alan,

I have to agree with Iain it is all looking good especially the tight fitting of the joints.

If you do not have one it is worth investing in a small luthiers  plane (finger plane), these can have a flat or curved base and are great for finishing off work (better than a chisel on the wooden plugs).

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

Hi Alan,

Looking at the photo in the fwd cabin, it looks like it`s going to have the carpet going up the sides to meet up with the side lining, have you considered a small shelf either running all the way down along near the top of the carpet?.

I know it`s extra work, but a small shelf, even if it`s not the full length of the berth, can be very helpful, especially if you`re having a cuppa in bed, or for putting things like travelling alarm clocks on.

In a little over a week, it looks a lot more like a finished boat. It`s always the same, you do so much for so long, you don`t see the work that`s gone in, but at the end, one or two finishing touches make a whole lot of difference.

• Like 5

Thanks guys :)

We did quickly run out this morning but back for 10. Annoyingly we did use any of the bits we brought!

Thanks Alan, I've always meant to get one of those although but each time I forget. Thankfully we shouldn't have any more plugs to make now but I will get one as soon as I remember! (for "next time"!) :)

Good idea Neil, although I think for now we just need to hit the finishing line and then make further improvements but good idea. We do have a large area above the half wardrobe though.. I did think of doing a shelf below the front windows but I want make sure I have room for my feet :) But I'm sure further shelving will go in later.

Today, as a fidderly day! I wanted to install the multicoloured LED lighting in the front cabin but I need a bit more it would look a bit odd, so I need to order some more. Dave wanted to play with the table saw again and make up some more mouldings so started to tackle the top lip on the wardrobe, the mitre there was tough to say the least so this took a couple of hours to get right .. it's not perfect but good enough considering we aren't chippies really. Next onto the door, again this wasn't straight forward and took a few hours, then we couldn't quite get the hinges right so I need to order larger ones :( We then installed the LED lighting in there (We had some left over so decided to use this up instead of ordering a silly little light. It has a door switch so comes on when we open the door.. Looks neat.. I hate not being able to see inside a wardrobe. (This took a few hours because I kept putting staples through the strip lol so had to be cut back and soldered.  Oh you may spot little vents in the wardrobe.. the wardbrobe also has heating to keep things warm in there, like you do?!

Tomorrow probably more little jobs.

Pics attached 

post-28066-0-15808500-1419962379_thumb.j

post-28066-0-71178100-1419962405_thumb.j

post-28066-0-17838000-1419962433_thumb.j

post-28066-0-41480000-1419962503_thumb.j

post-28066-0-22882100-1419962516_thumb.j

post-28066-0-32498900-1419962596_thumb.j

post-28066-0-05030000-1419962607_thumb.j

• Like 5

Thanks Steve, I must admit, I'm trying not to worry too much about a mooring at the moment. We need to get all these time consuming jobs ticked off, then get the boat ready for BSC exam and a quick sea trail but I am aiming on being up there for easter so we probably should get up there again and look around. Maybe we will aim for a weekend up there end of Jan! cheers

• Like 2

Alan, will you two refit our boat, please  :bow  :bow . You both have and are doing one brilliant job and your ideas are rubbing off on other people  :love

Regards

Marina   :Stinky

Good thinking Marina,

A very good resolution for 2015...Alan refit your parents boat, there's a good laddie :naughty:

xmas6 Iain.

• Like 2

Lol , as easy as that ;)

I don't think it needs a refit but both the bathroom (it has a bath) and kitchen cabinet fronts could do with updating but that's it and that's easy enough to do.. you could both do and I'll sit and point lol. I still think you should invest in a decent canopy for the flybridge then you can use it in the colder months. cheers..

(I don't want to go over to the boat today.. it's all white out there :( )

Today was another white one. Dave ran out early to grab some better hinges for the wardrobe any by the time I wandered over he had put the door on.

The rest of today was spent doing all the tiny trim work. Dave learnt quickly how to do the trims with the table saw and with the offcuts we managed to trim all the inside. I also carpeted the wardrobe the door and cheated slightly and made up little foam back inserts in the dining room but they look good. Finally all this trim work got a good coat of varnish. 

So my hope to get the boat finished this week didn't really happen (But it was never going to happen), although in the cabin there's really not much left 90% of the trimming has been completed. These pictures really don't show it but it feels finished inside :) We are just left to do cushions, curtains, kitchen (awaiting a sink on order for 14th jan), dining room table.  All little jobs so this week we really didnt do too badly. (back to work friday).

The all round light but brought in the winds a few weeks back as the fitting was just rubbish plastic so we brought a flagpole socket and have some stainless tube left so we will reconstruct that tomorrow and fit the actual flagpole socket which appears missing?! I'm also thinking of neatening up the waterline which I didnt do earlier.. it's meant to be warming up tomorrow and that paint is instant drying so a good time to do it I think. 

I'll try and get more pictures too.

post-28066-0-97041300-1420054369_thumb.j

post-28066-0-15501700-1420054382_thumb.j

post-28066-0-05530300-1420054391_thumb.j

post-28066-0-44016900-1420054399_thumb.j

post-28066-0-72720200-1420054407_thumb.j

post-28066-0-76123700-1420054417_thumb.j

• Like 5

Hi Alan,

A new year and your project is almost done.

Are you making the table top and will this be dropped to make up a double berth?

Being as you have the use of a table saw you could make up a table top in strips of light and darker hardwood to match the style of the flooring, just a thought.

Regards

Alan

• Like 2