Sabre 28 - Cruiser - Project

JawsOrca

Hi Alan. (And Gracie :) )

Happy New year!! 

Thankfully we can now say they boat will be finished "This year!!" I'm hoping it doesn't take too long now!

We are still thinking about the table and have a few bits of material left which we can use. I thought of getting a nice teak table with a compass design (from marine teak) but Dave wasn't sure and I'm a bit worried that this would add too many woods in there if you get me.. I know when you look aft you already see oak, mohog main door from (although that could't be avoided) and dark teak flooring.. although maybe teak will match the flooring.. not sure. I'm not sure I want it the same material as the floor though as that will feel like eating from the floor.. and I want to focus now on getting it ready for BSC as we can go on for ages ;) So to be honest, it will probably be oak with a nice oak trim just simply made for now and then when I can play later when I get some more ideas.. I think it needs some design but I just cant work it out at the moment

But yes it will definitely be another bunk (and a huge double actually) I'm sure will have the odd visitor so it needs to be.

Good to see you had a good evening grace, I didn't stay up, hate being at home for new years :( 

I better get to work... Back to boring work tomorrow (although it's only a one day week!!)...

• Like 3

So last day on it for the festive break :(

Dave was over early again I followed on a bit later, thankfully it was much warmer so Dave started on fixing the masthead light, which he did pretty quickly. He then went on (this is when I turned up !) replacing the spot light which I got him for xmas (I know kind ey!).. the one we had on there was a poor quality Stainless steal one and didnt do to well so I got a nice better grade stainless removable one. He had to remove half the headlining and was using expletives constantly apparently it wasnt an easy job.. although at least its done.. looks much better to.

I neatened up the waterline with the copper coat primer, I've kinda guessed where it is and looking now I think it's a little off but I can't tell, we need to put her in the water to see, which we will do in a few weeks time. 

Finally the rest of the day was spent doing various electrical terminations and I can see that they take ages so there's a few days work here but that's Dave's domain..I couldn't even work out how to switch the multimeter on?! 

I admit earlier in the year I thought we would be finishing over this break although recently it was clear that wasn't going to be the case, largely considering we have done a better finish than I dreamt of all those months ago, Although I tihnk we have done really well this week alone and there's not a lot left to do! 

No pics today, I took some of the waterline although we are so close to other boats now it's hard to see and cables are cables ;)

Weekend will hopefully be more cabling and possibly putting some timber on the swimdeck! 

• Like 5

Unfortunately nothing special happened this weekend. We pretty much finished off the wiring which took most of the weekend and got a few instruments installed (although the units have been removed now)  The electrics are all in and need a testing now.

Really annoyingly we had a leak above the dining room?!? It took some working out but it seems (well it can only be) a leaky screw in the wheelhouse window, so half the ceiling had to come down but we got it I think/hope and all back up. No damage just very very annoying.

I also installed the final headlining board in the large kitchen cabinet above the fridge. 

Midweek I had a quote in for the cushions! £1250.. yeah dream on!.. I quoted the foam up myself and I got to £350 (all fire resistant or close cell for the back).. so we will do this and cover the front bunk ourselves and give thedinette and rear seat foam to someone that should bring the cost down a bit (If anyones any good and fancies doing it just shout!).

The push now is to get the BSC completed, I'm aiming for doing this in 3 or 4 weeks time, we need to make up a drip tray and install some stupid signs for it. I've done a mock BSC exam and I think we should pass. I'm a tad worried about the ventilation percentage but hoping we can use the "Sea going boat" clause which just means we need to install "open vents before using" signs?!, worse case though drilling through bits to put in more vents (Which doesn't sound "safe" to me).

We also hope to get the kitchen in as soon as the sink arrives (Before the BSC) and hopefully we can grab the timber for the swimdeck next weekend. I also need to order the tank fittings for the loo tank (which are vetus and gulp aren't cheap!) and the last few parts.

• Like 3

Hi Mark, Thanks for this, these were actually the guys who quoted this (I found them from google and a few positive reviews on the internet), to be honest it isn't a bad quote for the whole boat (considering its a 6 berth boat really) and is roughly what I feared it would be! But I did find the foam cheaper (£280+) They guesstimated £550+ ish) and I want to carve it myself anyway really as there's a few angles and I'm thinking I can then give them a few cushions and it should be much cheaper. I'll let everyone know how I get on (for a laugh I emailed a couple marine upholsters.. be funny what they quote!), I think we will go with Ann Rose though, I just need to get the price down a bit more cheers.

• Like 1

There used to be one in the 80s down a side road off Rochester high st. It was on the river side somewhere nearer the Chatham end.i think?. I went in there myself to buy some material for fitting out my Dutton Phaeton in the 80s, but i seem to remember going in there in the early 90s to price up some material for mistrals interior.

cheers Poppy,  Good to know I've not bored eveyone to sleep :)

Today started early but we had to go to the timber yard to get the swimdeck hardwood decking and basically we spent an hour in there as we ending up in the oak shed too (and I brought nice timber to make some shelving!).  So we worked on decking the swimdeck which was easy as the boards were cut to fit (Yup I'm learning.. why cut when someone else can!), although it was fidderly to screw down. We also chose to add more reinforcement beams so these took time to cut and install, I'd like to say it's finished although the order for these bits where incomplete so they need to send them out to us, it also needs oiling which will take some time. It looks good though and we made for about £200 which isn't bad either.

Inside I carefully and slowly glued up the multicoloured LED lighting in the front cabin and we wired this in. 

Other little jobs, I carefully took the wheelhouse seat apart which we got with the boat, but it had seen better days and the vinyl was torn and brown. So we took it apart and will then use as a template to make a new one. It's suprising how its made but it's very cleaver and easy to remake.  I also tried to glue in the handles on the cabin windows but the glue just wont work do it needs some sikaflex.  Dave also installed the hose tails on the waste tank which was thankfully straight forward although it's a vetus tank and the vetus connectors were well made so a nice easy job, we will connect it all tomorrow and put in the skin fittings.

Couple of pics attached, mainly of the multicoloured disco lighting! (And I even took a pic when it turned pink just for Grace... (No it wont match the pink fenders...).

post-28066-0-59144500-1420921963_thumb.j

post-28066-0-15146400-1420921974_thumb.j

post-28066-0-29864900-1420921984_thumb.j

post-28066-0-62327700-1420921996_thumb.j

post-28066-0-00856900-1420922018_thumb.j

post-28066-0-55143100-1420922028_thumb.j

• Like 4

"You can have the double dinette if you want" Of course I bloomin want (hinted enough haven't I?) I can see it now, we come into moor at pubs like The Swan with loads of people sitting outside on a warm balmy evening and we will just have to do the Royal Wave Lol, what I'm trying to say in my ditzy way is you should be proud and show off, you both deserve it :clap

• Like 2

Lol, we will be showing her off up there although we aren't showy off type people (despite probably what this thread is turning out like lol) but she needs to look good really, I don't like unfinished stuff really :)  We must catch up some time in norfolk.. are you planning on going up this year? cheers

• Like 1

Hi Alan,

Well I am shocked, a floating "Bordello" whatever next :naughty:  Just love those coloured mood lights. Well being a sparky I would...wouldn't I? :naughty: Bit concerned about the "cleaver" seat cover, very "clever" indeed :clap  All kidding Alan, I just coodny resist! :angel:

More jobs ticked off the list.

cheers Iain.

• Like 3

Sorry to hear that Grace :( hope he's well soon and can get some time away  :arms:

Thanks Iain, glad you like them, I got this idea from sheerlines/rc45 "Kingfisher" (Nowt wrong with copying good ideas?!) it does look funky though! You should know by now I can't speell (and spell) to save my life ;)  :wasted:

Thanks mum as grace said, I'm very lucky to have a mum like you  :taunt: and no wind, rain, snow won't stop us now, it's little out door jobs today but it looks nice out there cheers.

• Like 3

This morning started with a urgent tidy up inside. We are hoping to get the boat surveyed this coming week and he needs to see the inside hull (which was full of junk). To be honest I wasn't overly concerned about the survey until I started asking questions and it seems very through, I think we will be ok but time will tell!!  There was surprisingly a large amount of random stuff! But nice to have a good clear out.

After lunch (that much junk). We moved onto installing the deck outlet for the waste tank and tank vent, it took some work to get the pipes on the tank hosetails but lots of washing up liquid (and swearing) got it done.  We tested the loo (It's a strange feeling to see stuff working), we hoped it would work (but suspected it wouldnt), the tank is slightly above the bottom of the too and although we done a loop it's not quite worked (but it washed the loo flooring) so we will need a vented loop installed.

We also remade the masthead light, we had a really cheap plastic one which blew away! so my idea was to use some spare stainless bar which we had from the swimdeck and a flagpole mount so it can be taken down, we also used neatly mounted the lighting and it looks better now... much stronger too :)

Dave also cut down the the oak which we got yesterday for the bunk fronts so we can put the inserts to convert the the vee berth into a huge bed and the dinette berth so it can take the table.

I also brought too much multicoloured LED lighting so we worked out we should put it in the dinette again under the gunnels which I did and again it looks good.. so we now have a disco (or rave) in the dinette.. (I'm looking forward to seeing the boat look up like a Christmas tree we are mudweighting on a summers night on malthouse broad!!  xmas3

Our friend also come over with some nice P trims for our loo door, he managed to stick them in a steam box and bend them to shape! the will look very nice and neatly finish off the door. He's wants to do things with our table so we may just give him some wood and leave him to it (He's restoring a very nice time smack sailing boat and is a very good chippy).

(Oh thankfully the leak which caused us a headache last weekend has been fixed, it was a leaky screw on the wheelhouse roof which amazing ended up in the dinette!)

Pics attached. I'll put a post up regards to how we get on with the survey  :hardhat:

post-28066-0-35987300-1421003571_thumb.j

post-28066-0-50701300-1421003580_thumb.j

post-28066-0-44489300-1421003591_thumb.j

post-28066-0-29527200-1421003600_thumb.j

post-28066-0-71535300-1421003608_thumb.j

post-28066-0-39270700-1421003620_thumb.j

post-28066-0-66567800-1421003630_thumb.j

post-28066-0-76383500-1421003638_thumb.j

post-28066-0-90667200-1421003647_thumb.j

• Like 5

Quick midweek update.

These annoying winds managed to break off the rubber clips from the canopy and the wheelhouse seating area got a little wash! thankfully that's all the damage and expecting damage to these I brought a pack at the weekend so it was an easy fix.

Because of the winds the surveyor put back the survey to friday which looks the better day (I dont blame him it's nasty out there).  The sink has also finally arrived from germany so I'll grab that friday! Tomorrow we will go over to Ikea and grab the counter top so the weekend we can finally get the kitchen in! 

During the week Dave has been over working hard, He's finished (I'm liking that word) the diesel systems! and apparently said he's finished (that word again!) the shower tray.

• Like 3