Sabre 28 - Cruiser - Project

JawsOrca

Thanks All and thanks CheshireCat cheers

I think the worst has just gone through, a local online weather station is reporting gust of 60mph, which is still not very strong. Although it was strong enough to destroy our neighbours roof terrace. It even shook our houseboat which weighs many tons and is firmly sitting in the mud (Although that may have been Mary's roof terrace). Orca  at present is doing well, the new canopy ties are doing a good job (which I'd so for a £1.50 each).. But I'm awake now like a proper skipper should be..  :summertime:

Hi Alan,                                                                                                                                         

Don't wish to be the prophet of doom, but this present depression if moves south won't be pleasent, its really wild here on the west coast just now. 70MPH gusts+

cheers Iain

Thanks Polly :)

Hi Iain, Please keep your depression up there we don't need it down here ;) 60mph was plenty! The weather is showing it as it's calming down.. and it's lovely blue sky here in Crawley at the moment (Although a tad cold!).. I suggest you stay in doors and don't go out until easter :)  :wasted:

• Like 1

Thanks Polly :)

Hi Iain, Please keep your depression up there we don't need it down here ;) 60mph was plenty! The weather is showing it as it's calming down.. and it's lovely blue sky here in Crawley at the moment (Although a tad cold!).. I suggest you stay in doors and don't go out until easter :)  :wasted:

Easter!!! :norty:

No way young Alan, we have to get out and catch the wee beastie for next weeks hostilities (Burns Nicht) :naughty:  Haggis, Neeps and Champit tatties mmmmmm. :)

cheers Iain.

• Like 2

Still windy here near Newcastle but no where near as strong as last weekend, not a bad day if it wasn't windy, clear blue skies & white wispy clouds (but that could change in seconds )

Looking great Alan, I've not commented in a while but been reading with interest....looks like the end is in sight....... Heres to many happy days on the broads

cheers

David

• Like 2

Oh yuck is that why you scots drink whisky to was down all that haggis?.. the folks like haggis (although mum likes runrig too :shocked ) but no thanks that sounds like my nightmare meal!!  Have a good one though cheers

Thanks David. Good to hear from you! Glad to know I haven't bored you away ;)  The end does feel around the corner although it's getting very expensive now which is tough! but it will all be worth while soon and I'm looking forward to many days relaxing aboard though and many wherrys! cheers

• Like 1

I agree with David (Deebee29) about the guided tours although I'm not sure I want people crawling all over my dinette berth and please don't offer haggis when they come aboard, yuk (sorry Iain) and what or who the hell is Runrig Lol :naughty:

Grace

THE Gaelic Rock Band, Grace,  

http://www.runrig.co.uk/   

cheers Iain

• Like 2

Oh geez... my post.... Iain but sorry, I can kinda let you get away with the hijack but I can't let you get away with referring to runrig as a "Rock" band?... "Classical Scottish" if anything  :shocked  :hardhat:  (Grace I'll deal with you later lol)!  (I'm surprised mum not noticed this yet)... 

David, I can't possibly charge anyone to take a look :naughty: , (Although for Grace leading Iain to post a runrig video on my post lol) although we would wel-come gifts for the boat.  Anyones welcome anytime, if you see us just flag us down.. to be honest we will probably be easily spotted at night on a broad with multicoloured lights lighting up the corner!

Ok so we just got back from Ikea with a counter top in the car (it just fitted in the estate car), I hate shopping but Ikea is my weakness although I restrained myself from getting too much stuff for the boat. Although we did get some curtains which we/(someone) can machine up for us and I brought chopping board!! So survey tomorrow and collect the sink! Hopefully the weekend we can get counter top in, finish the gas etc... I'll update tomorrow :)cheers

• Like 4

Hi Alan,

Sincere appologies for min-hijack of your brill thread. I blame Grace of course :naughty:  There are many groups would give an arm n a leg to play to the hoards Runrig have. Aye they ARE a Gaelic Rock Band. I have heard Donny sing it at Hampden Park, Loch Lomond that is, and used it many times to end a meet I have organised on a AOL Chatroom years ago.

I will say it again your Mum has impecable taste! :taunt: Will arrange if I can, to get you a copy of their brill CD :naughty:

cheers Iain.

• Like 3

Iain, I have loved Runrig for over 20 years or more and yes I was at that Gig, because that was Dan last concert and it was Great  :party1: . I have not seen them for many year, but I still listen to their music   :lineup: . I also love Haggis  :clap  :clap .

Grace, don't worry about young Alan, next time he pops home  / or in my car I will play Runrig  :naughty:  :naughty: .

Regards

Marina    :Stinky

• Like 2

Thanks Grendal, I try not to look there as I'm bad enough in the normal store. Iain leave me kitchen alone lol.. the surveyor said most new boats have flatpack kitchens lol

Ok so survey update. Wasn't too bad. Main recommendation is obviously finish it! He was impressed by the boat and liked the paint finish :dance

One biggy, the hull repair, which to be honest I was really worried about anyway, but simple fix; he told us that it needs a coat of epoxy to seal in the fibres! that's all really, we got tons of paint so will do that soon. He said the repair is stronger than the surrounding hull  :party: the replaced transom is also well made (again I was a tad worried)  :party: Everything else is fine, electrics, plumbing and gas (we shouldn't have any problems with the BSC :naughty:) .. he has advised that we install a secondary CAV fuel (Water separator) filter as we only have the one on the engine, we have a spare so I'm Dave will do that.  (Although he did recommend installing a glass bottle one (which is against BSC.. lol he said lots of kind words about the bsc too  :liar  :hardhat: ) finally he couldn't see any marks on the loo sea cock so we will have a look tomorrow (it was full of stuff) if we can't spot it then I'll get a new brass or DZR one ordered. 

The hull is as dry as a bone with no osmosis, although he suggest, because of the age we take it out for winter every couple of years to keep it so and/or to stop it needed epoxy coating in the future, which we probably will look at doing. 

He mentioned a couple of other points which are all jobs left to do like trimming the edges of the plywoods and fitting anodes etc.

He has valued the boat favourably too and I'm happy with the value :naughty:  

The surveyor is a member of the yacht club so he will keep popping back to update the survey for the insurance company every now and again to keep the insurance policy inline.

To be honest I am really pleased he found some things which we missed (and found the bits we knew about) as I was worried it would be a waste of money just to keep an insurance company happy. Plus he looked at more than I expected him to do so all good.. but I still need a drink... :wasted:

• Like 7