Sabre 28 - Cruiser - Project

JawsOrca

Ok I've taken a paracetamol and had some food lol.. :dunce:

As you see from the pics this travel hoist is only a little bigger than the boat so to get it in we had to remove the acros around the wheel.. we had to do it three times so basically shore up the boat three times and that's just get her into the water.. it had to be repeated to get her back out again!! hence being exhausted!  And as you see it's not as far back as it should be but thankfully it lifted the boat and all was good!

Dave will get the leg tested tomorrow and if all well I can contact the haulage companies to get her moved to suffolk for easter.. Can't wait!! I'm going to get antifouling too!

Pics below.. (I need a new camera phone :( )

post-28066-0-09128600-1425759732_thumb.j

post-28066-0-26939900-1425759740_thumb.j

post-28066-0-90044100-1425759753_thumb.j

post-28066-0-13283900-1425759767_thumb.j

post-28066-0-59681800-1425759778_thumb.j

post-28066-0-44181000-1425759790_thumb.j

post-28066-0-18368700-1425759807_thumb.j

post-28066-0-04846500-1425759822_thumb.j

post-28066-0-42779200-1425759838_thumb.j

post-28066-0-03595900-1425759848_thumb.j

• Like 5

I am going to ask a couple of what may seem daft questions (sorry MM) and probably gonna get teased silly for it but could you not cruise to Norfolk, if possible, how long would it take and would Orca be capable? I know from reading about Griff's sea going trip that it is all very dependent on weather, tides etc and after all Broad Ambition is just a Broads boat (a beautiful boat none the less)

I think I read somewhere on this blog that you (Alan) have your Skippers qualifications, you've probably covered these questions somewhere on here also but rather than trawl through it I've taken the easy option and just asked.

My boys were looking at your pics of her in the water and asked me "Why doesn't Jaws take Orca to Norfolk by the sea, like a pirate Lol

Grace :kiss

I guess no need for back up means of propulsion, life raft, flares, radio and charts. There is also the additional costs on insurance, small ships registration if taken out.

When Ranworth Breeze was taken out to sea I have been told that waves did at times come over the windscreen and under the canopy in choppy weather.

I think I would prefer a much larger boat, twin engines and a full bottle of anti seasick tablets :naughty:

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Hi Barry.. I'm really looking forward to seeing your boat up front .. I do have a huge appriecation for wooden boats (and their insane owners! ;)  cheers.

Hi Grace,  Good question, everyone at the yacht club is asking us the same question so don't worry! The main reasons we are coming up by road is that it's a single engine so if we have any problems with this we would need to call for assistance and at sea it's better to be self dependant and moreso that its an as new engine and drive system, so it has a higher change of playing around, if its an older proved engine it maybe ok. We could cruise in company or put an outboard on but either of these would make for a slow passage if we needed them. So it's less stressful and more sensible to put it on a lorry :)  If she was a sailing boat I wouldn't hesitate though!

If we did do it, I think it's about 120 miles so at 8 knts it would take about 15 hours so you could do it in one day but somewhere you punch the tide so it would take more like 24hours, if we were to do it we would probably do it in three days and make a weekend of it (so Something like Rochester -> Burnham, harwich, lowestoft), we may have a play in the salty bit at some point she will be capable of it.  I'll message you if we go out and you can come out.. unless you are chicken like my mum..  :hardhat:

Alan, The insurance isn't a problem, I think my policy has 30 days sea passage a year on it anyway, you don't need flares these days because they are pointless (You only get two so you rely on someone seeing the first and then the second :( ).You should have a DSC VHF radio which sets all hell loose when you press the mayday button! SSR is only a requirement when going over the continent you don't need it for territorial waters, you only should fly the ensign so customs leave you alone! (and it helps to be registered with the coastguard on the cg66)  I remember panicking once on my sailing boat leaving sheerness (which is where the coastguard office watches the thames).. forgetting my ensign.. thankfully when the rib came past we just waved and they left us alone!!  Your syndicate should take RB out for a paddle she will love it.. pick a calm day and it can be lovely out there cheers

OK back to work.. I've been antifouling and the boat looks well posh now.. (Not hireboat blue or red either!)... cheers

• Like 1

Thanks Brian, I'll have a google for them..

So more good news today :shocked , the leg works.. (Not that I doubted it wouldn't), The first mate (Dave - his new title) connected it to the engine using a thingy jig whatsit and when the engine goes now so does the leg.. good ey... So this does mean that we now have no excuse not to come to suffolk so I'll send some emails around! We will be looking at moving easter weekend or a week after. I'll let everyone know closer to the date so you can all line the route waving flags...  :party:

I spent all do outside in the sun.. I masking taped up the new waterline, (Frog tape is brilliant), the sanded it back, then primed with two coats of fast drying primer, then ran down the chandlers and they did me a deal on Hemple classic (I wanted broads but strangely they don't stock that here?!).. I was going to just prime but as I taped it up and it was nice I thought sod it. So did three coats on the waterline (and one all round).. Removing the tape she looks really posh now with her black antifoul.

Couple more pics from the first mates phone (It's worst than mine!).

post-28066-0-66677100-1425841651_thumb.j

post-28066-0-78702900-1425841667_thumb.j

post-28066-0-82235000-1425841695_thumb.j

post-28066-0-48528800-1425841708_thumb.j

post-28066-0-74737100-1425841724_thumb.j

post-28066-0-63115000-1425841735_thumb.j

• Like 5

Looking good boys, well done on the successful trial float. It looks like i`m going to be looking out for her at the end of May / beginning of June.

Although it`s good to see this thread come to its conclusion, it`s also sad to know that its finished, and nothing left to see, apart from what must be one of the best fitted out Sabres around?.

It`s been a great read, with some excellent and informative text and pictures.

cheers cheers cheers cheers   Here`s to you lads, well done.

• Like 3

Lol no Iain.. A nice dark shade of black! Like traditional Tar!

Although it`s good to see this thread come to its conclusion, it`s also sad to know that its finished, and nothing left to see, apart from what must be one of the best fitted out Sabres around?.

Thanks Neil! There's still a few weeks left though and she will be going up unfinished (the money for the wheelhouse floor is going on transport!) so it will probably need more work when it's up there! in fact it will probably never finish as always lol But I know what you mean it's nice to there! I'm trying to get transport for 18th April and I'll keep posting all the way until then! (and then I'll do a ships (b)log :) ) and we will probably be up there for most bank holidays (but I think we will stay south whilst we run everything in) cheers

Yes Alan, very much a chicken like your mum, the only time I've been to sea is on a Ferry to France and the Isle of Wight and that was quite enough for me thank you very much Lol. I think I'll wait for Orca to be on a nice calm River like the Ant, thank you for the invite all the same :kiss

Grace (cluck cluck)

p.s The photos are fantastic :clap

• Like 1

Grace, Alan is a little sod at the herm and he loves the water to have white horses. I hope you all read this. Barton Broad and sweet little me seating on the front enjoying the view. We crossed the Broad and he asked did I get wet and my reply was no. What did he do? He turned the boat around and did it again, just to get me wet . I all ways get my own back . Who loves you baby . Regards Marina

• Like 1

Grace you have to admit that's a bit extreme? Plus she had about 2 hours from Breydon to Oulton to relax!! 

I must admit I love breydon when it's rough although we went out in the north sea with a friend in his big heavy fishing boat, we had swell of about 3 metres.. the boat really was flying every wave went over the wheelhouse and missed the back of the boat, I was at the helm and just laughing my head of it was soo fun! Shame breydon doesn't get that rough.. We always miss it when it's really rough though. 

I know its also more worrying when its your own boat! Hense I think Orca was stay away from Breydon for a few months until she proves to us that all is good...

Oh god mother.. I guess I asked for that one.. Which mod allowed my parents to join the forum?  

• Like 1

Hmm Thanks Alan.. I'm looking forward to meeting you one day....  two guns   ;)

Ouch Grace.. I can have a word with Jonzo if you want and we can give these pesky mods a warning point if you need me too... (Reason: insanity and bullying?) cheers

• Like 2