Sabre 28 - Cruiser - Project

JawsOrca

Hi Alan,

Thanks for that tip, will give that a try later. The lappy is only 16 months old, has already had the screen replaced, and I am wondering IF it was all reassembled correctly by PC World. Hey ho the joys.....

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

my old advent has always run hot - ever since 2008 when I bought it, running cool its at 60 degrees, hot it can be 80 degrees plus, sometimes getting them to run cooler is just a case of reseating the fan on the processor with new (top quality) heat exchange paste, it also pays to clear the dust out of the fan and cooling radiator, after such a cleanout recently my laptop ran 23 degrees cooler, and I can now run it without the processor throttled back to reduce the heat output. so its well worth checking the fan is clean and clear of dust, as then it may not need to run as fast (so quieter) - my fan does not even run until over about 68 degrees.

my advent is used daily, is rarely turned off and is still on the original battery- though running time on battery is only about 10 minutes these days, its on its second screen (the cats shut the lid when there was a pen on the keyboard).

In the time I have had this my wife has gone through about 5 laptops.

ps a paintbrush is good for clearing the dust from the radiator between the fan and the vent slot)

Grendel

• Like 1

You have been lucky there Grendal both advents and acers are nothing better than paperweights (in my experience!).  

Iain it's probably dead to be honest, Asus, samsung, toshiba are some of the better brands. Although I have a asus and it's only lasted about 2 years although it's only a tool to me and gets abused big time, so it will probably ok if you look after them.  

Certainly try the paintbrush and hoover tips and it may help it for a bit, although don't sit with it on you lap as you may find you are blocking the vents. 

good luck

cheers

• Like 1

So unfortunately the last couple of weeks of this blog are going to get a bit dull I suspect!

Today though, early start to grab the last bits of timber for the table trims, these are going off to our commodore in the club whos a wizz with the table saw and again wants to help.

To the boat for 9.30 and geex it's was a cold day down here! Dave wanted to put the leg back on and test it, Thankfully it sounds much nicer now so it's pretty much finished, it just needs a few spares which we will get ordered. Also it looks like we will need a new propeller as the two we have aren't marked other than a seriel number and google isn't helping but a new one isn't much and it seems a bit stupid cutting the last important corner.

Next, we tested the fresh water system, (only one leak on the hot water tank (as usual)), also tested the loo which had a leak on the loos one way valve before, we tightened down the hose clips but it still leaked so dave took it apart and he noticed that the valve itself wasn't actually finished probably so the rubber wasn't cut where it should have been so he fixed that and now all good!

Finally we sanded and filled the wheelhouse floor, we was going to put a synthetic teak floor down but basically we ran out of time and money now so it will need to wait till the summer or next winter!  We will give that a paint tomorrow hopefully.

Oh I also put on the broads registration number on the transom which looks strange to see lol.

cheers 

• Like 6

Alan

All good things come to an end as they say but the end of this story is a new beginning (very philosophical for this time on a saturday night)

I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that we look forward to hearing of your adventures aboard Orca on your way to and once you get to the Broads.

I'd like to thank you for taking us along on your journey from the start of the project. I for one have thoroughly enjoyed it and look forward to the day when I spot Orca on the rivers.

Well done both of you, you've done a great job..... Now go and have some well deserved fun

cheersbar

David

• Like 3

Hi David, 

I'm glad you enjoyed the journey. When we left our yard after the last build after being there for 3 years (We had two projects in there) we almost shed a tear lol I think the projects get so ingrained in your life its strange when they come to an end, I suspect this is a large reason why some projects never end! although as you say it's the start of the next journey and as our friends in the yard said "Boats should be in the water".  With this one I can't wait to get it to the broads, not only to enjoy but I miss my weekends lol! We still do have 6 weeks left though and a few bits to sort out so it's not quite over yet ;)

Today was pretty much a tidy up day, I went to the tip with a car load of scrap timber which had slowly built up around the boat, Dave was also tidying up inside the boat and sorting through bits. I pretty much left him too and had a relaxing afternoon at home (as I was just getting in the way) and it's been a miserable day!  But I've sorted all the boats paperwork out (It's amazing how much paperwork this boat has), I will need to sort out again to work out what bits need to stay on the boat (BSC, Registration Certs, VHF licences etc).  I'm also making of list of all the bits we will need to grab for the general "household" bits so one day soon I can go shopping.. Ikea and Wilko here we come lol!

cheers

• Like 3

Good idea grendel! cheers.  Thanks Mark we will certainly look out for you guys :)

Thanks Folks, Dad unfortunately the wheelhouse is a wet area (the canopy leaks like a sieve!) so the carpet would get damaged, we are just going to paint it (once it stops raining) and put some non slip over the top. 

cheers

Hi Alan,

It does need a fabsil actually thanks for reminding me, the canopy chap is meant to be doing that for us, so i'll remind him!

Although it's really around the zips and the boats in a very exposed position, where it is so the wind just drives the rain through anywhere and everywhere! :(  the floor also has scuppers so it's indicating that it's intended to be a wet area it's not too bad.. but I fear a carpet would just be ruined :( It will look ok just painted white with a light non slip additive. 

cheers

Show off......seriously, only four weeks to go, wonder how long it will be before you spot a Boat that needs some TLC, could you wait at least a year, I don't think I could go through this again in a hurry Lol

Got the girls over later so a write up and photos tonight would be good, throw in a couple of pics of Orca if you like :naughty:

Grace :kiss

• Like 1

Sorry Grace but I'm not really showing off :(  :angel:  But just to say this time in 4 weeks we will in the pub with the boat moored nearby! and even this time next week we will be in a simular pub as we are going up next weekend to look at the marina and do a bit of relaxing!  :party: lol (But this would be be the first time we been up there since july :( )

Sorry also no pics today... nothings really changed it's all finished really and I've put a ton of weight on so you dont want pics of me lol

So today an odd job day, Dave changed the seal in the engine water pump which sprang a leak and we had the engine up and running for a good hour and leak all sorted. The hot water tank although decided to leak next so once that was tested it finally warmed the water up and we got hot water through which was the last thing to tick off. I oiled the timber on the swimdeck and it went on well so it will probably only need another coat.  We also changed the waste pumpout fitting as it looked too small, and one on leesanitations website was only a tenner so i brought it and thankfully our one was too small so it's good to change it.. Dave struggled but managed it... We had to stop for abit though as the sea water once again breached the banks here and we was left wading in a few inches of water.. Thankfully it was around lunchtime so we just had a longer lunch break and some "drinks".  This afternoon we hung the curtains and the bars on the bottom to hold the curtains back.. this was easier said than done as we have the pelmets with hidden fixtures so it means a long screwdriver with limited access but its done. 

In the week I ordered some canopy fabric (and seating vinyl for the seat in the wheelhouse), the canopy fabric is for a hatch cover so Dave is going to have a go making this up, although I'm good with fabric and bits I can't work out a sewing machine so he can do it!

I'll get some pictures of the tomorrow for everyone (and Gracie) ;) 

cheers

• Like 4

Sounds good Mum, we will speak before friday :)

This morning dave tried the sewing machine on the hatch cover and the annoyingly the needle broke so that was cut short, we will get more needles and try again.

Over on the boat, he put the sterndrive drive shaft back in as it had a bit of play in it and unfortunately we wont be able to fix that but it's not too bad. We had to cut some new thread for some locking pins on the transom mount so thats done too. We've been given some pig iron (150lbs) for ballast so I put some paint on them. Dave spent the afternoon doing the final silicon edging, he's done the kitchen and the floor. Dave also put the windscreen wiper back on, these didnt quite work with the flat battery but now the batteries are charged they worked well.

The tables also gone off to the commodore who has said he will fit the trims as he said I made a mess before! but I'm not complaining, although I hope he varnishes it too!

There's still lots to do, including the final anti-foul coat, paint the wheelhouse floor, cover the wheelhouse seat, install a helms seat. Next weekend we are going up to the broads so this means we have easter and a following week to finish so only a few more posts left ;)

(No pics sorry it looks the same as before just a bit neater although I'll post some more up before "the end" ).

cheers

• Like 6