Sabre 28 - Cruiser - Project

JawsOrca

I must admit Grendel sewing for some strange is something I know nothing about! I actually can't even work out how the machine works!  I've googled about and notice Hobby craft sell needles.. Assuming the machine accepts these type (they all seem universal??!) but are these what you mean?? http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/hemline-machine-needle-assorted-leather/567052-1000

cheers

they look similar, basically its a thicker needle that has a bigger hole for thicker thread, the ones just for leather have a flattened point that cuts the leather rather than just trying to poke a hole, but those look like they would do the job, those or the ones for jeans.

I used to go through 2 thicknesses of leather, but used an old heavy duty hand cranked machine so could ease the needle through, this is usually the biggest problem with thick fabrics (and leather) I have also sewed up viking tents using this machine, we used old canvas from theatre curtains which was quite heavy duty.

Grendel

• Like 1

cheers Grendal it's going well, Dave's on the sewing machine right now, we broke one needle but I got a jeans needle and its good, he's already made a hatch cover and it on the vinyl cushion covers for the aft seat!

So this weekend we had a deserved weekend away, its our first time off since xmas day lol;

We left about 8.30 am on Saturday for the drive up it wasn't too bad although the pesky A12 has roadworks M25 end and just by ipswich so speed limit is down to 40mph although I guess it's good they are doing now and not during the season! We headed straight the marina as I wanted to see what it would be like we got the marina for 11 so 2.5 hours isn't bad and it was a good run really.  The marina had a good feeling, there's plenty of room for the lorry and theres certainly no problems with access for the lorry.  The water seems a bit low on low water near the slipway although I think we will be there around high water anyway. We had a good wonder around, annoyingly no one stopped us to ask what we was doing although there was only a couple of people around. The berth looks ok the floating pontoons are quite as modern as houseboat marina but they work and the security gate access is very reassuring! I think Orca will look a bit big there but thats no problem really! There are some lovely wooden boats there though :) 

We found steve and debs's boat, gave it a good look over and it does look better than pictured so top work guys! We then did something really stupid! We went to brundall, now we have finished Orca we want to finish off this houseboat and buy a gym palace cruiser instead, so we had a look around NYA and Brooms and unfortunately we found a boat we liked.. it's a bit out our reach at the moment obviously but it's something to work for.. although we are keeping Orca without any doubt and will be spending ton's of time on Orca.. it's nice to dream though!  Oh we finally got into the Yare pub for lunch and it was better than expected (for some reason we've never ventured in there but I popped in last year as I borrowed a car parking spot and it looked ok so said i'd try one day). Unfortunately we spent a few hours in brundall so it was head to the hotel in lowestoft for a quick bath (Annoyingly it didn't have a bath :( :( :( although the shower was warm so not all lost) and then head to the white horse in Loddon for dinner with my folks who were moving their boat to it's new mooring.  Nice dinner, One of my favourite pubs, lots of local character including a dog begging for dinner lol!

Today, up early for some reason, I think the room was too warm compared to the normal freezing houseboat, unfortunatly it rained all day so there wan't much wondering around.. but we started with Lathams and brought some random bits, then a slow drive on the lower road but stopping off and peering out the car windows at womack, horning and wroxham. Although we stopped at wroxham barns although the cider shop was closed (it seems like the chap had overslept and not noticed the clocks changing lol..!). Off to Lowestoft for fish and chips in the pub on the wharf by the beach, Food was really really good - highly recommended! It was also nice to watch the sea doing its best to slowly eat away lowestoft! Onto oulton broad for a stop off at the chandlers for some bits for Orca, we actually got most bits we wanted! and a little walk around the park in between the thunder storms, finally a trip back to the marina to check it out with this wind and high tide and it still seemed good before the long 2.5 hour drive home... I so can't explain how I hate that drive south but it kinda helps knowing in 3 weeks today we will be back up!!!! 

cheers

• Like 7

Hi Mark,

I think we just missed the thunder of lighting although we kinda saw in the distance in Diss but we drove through some really bad winds which looked more like tornado's, to be honest I'm glad we was in the car and not aboard lol! (although I bet breydon water was brilliant fun today!!)

Enjoy your time up there :) 20 days for us... gulp! 

cheers

• Like 1

HI All, 

So we are still hard at work, We are on the home run though, we have the whole of this weekend to finish off as we come up two weeks tomorrow! 

Today stayed dry which I'm hoping is a good thing although I need to antifoul and we need to install the leg so hopefully it stays dry.  Dave started early and installed the hatch cover over the front hatch and it looks good. He also fitted a door latch for the main door and repaired one of the canopy turn buckles which blew off in the recent winds, Fitted some brackets for the pole light as so it can be clamped for the lorry and when going and under bridges in norfolk. He adjusted the tappets on the engine as they sounded a bit off and apparently two was.

I carpeted the back of the table which took a few hours as it does lol  We also had a good tidy up and sort through some bits and I went round to the other project boats in the yard offloading (I mean donating!) stuff!

We also had a chat with a few people (Nice to see Neil and Karen (Speedtriple) who made a surprise visit!) , many of which asking why we are still here lol but yup 2 weeks tomorrow!! Scary!!

We was a bit stuck today as we need some parts and being easter friday hardly anything is open so tomorrow we can go out and get the remaining parts.

Couple of pics attached.. Blue floor was my mistake! I thought prekote paint only came in white so didnt look but yup it's blue (the trade version we normally get only comes in white (our supply was contaminated by a recent flood) so the top coat may need three coats!  :dunce:

post-28066-0-45030900-1428081542_thumb.j

post-28066-0-67075800-1428081607_thumb.j

post-28066-0-61644200-1428081632_thumb.j

post-28066-0-26452900-1428081650_thumb.j

post-28066-0-75470600-1428081674_thumb.j

post-28066-0-23006400-1428081692_thumb.j

post-28066-0-52910000-1428081722_thumb.j

post-28066-0-64169400-1428081732_thumb.j

post-28066-0-54850100-1428081744_thumb.j

• Like 5

Hi Alan,

Dave n Alan will be on the back of the lorry with plastic pails to accept a few bawbees to pay for the Mooring Fees!

I have one word to describe Orca and is a guid Scots word......BRAW! :Stinky Its no longer a project..it Floats! :dance

cheers Iain.

• Like 4

Hi Alan,

Looking good and tidy too, is that down to you or Dave?

Not long now, have you got more work to be done before you get the boat transported to Somerleyton or will you be working on the boat while it is on the back of the lorry. :naughty:

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan,

I've been hovering a lot but Dave has done well to keep it tidy for once lol, I need to hover before we go though.

Thankfully there's not much to do although don't say that we will be working all the way to the last day as I still fear that would be the case!!.  We only really need to antifoul, install the stern drive although that's been on and came off for security (but I want it on now), paint the wheelhouse floor white and make up the cushions which we've been doing in the evenings. I think we will be ok to finish this weekend with last weekend just stocking up and running the rubbish to the tip.

cheers!

Thanks for the kind words Iain, I had to admit I had to google them lol! but thanks again cheers I like the idea of collection boxes, I am expecting everyone from the forum to be out lining the streets as flag wavers so a collection box will be a perfect addition!  cheers

• Like 2

Well dearest Alan, I was hoping that if anyone who will be out on south river could meet up at the BA moorings at Somerleyton at around 11am and to :welcome: you two with Orca to the Broads  :wave .  So if anyone is around Somerleyton BA moorings on Saturday 18th April hope to see you :bow .

Regards

Marina   :Stinky  

• Like 3

Deb and I would love to be there Marina but unfortunately Deb is working that weekend. No doubt we will hijack them when we see them in Somerleyton one weekend and get our guided tour ;)

Alan, hope all goes well that weekend, you guys have worked soooooo hard and we can't wait to see the finished project. Having said that I'm learning, very quickly, that work on a boat is NEVER finished ;)

cheers

Steve & Deb

• Like 5

Thanks Mum.

Shame too you can't make it Steve & Debs, Tell debs not to work too hard! I'm sure we will still catch up.. I still don't have an invoice so on the phone again to them on Tuesday!

Today we had to go shopping for parts and food shopping which was a bad idea, it's like christmas out there, grr people! So we didnt get over to the boat till after lunch. So didn't get a lot done, But little jobs like change the lightbulb in a nav light, change the all round light to a LED bulb, fit the windscreen wiper and Install the stern drive and test it with the engine running. All good, Although the brand new prop we got for it doesn't fit, even though it came from the manufactorer, not happy, but dave will call them tuesday (they will get a serious earful if I call them).

Tomorrow, Antifoul (if its dry and warm), Clean the bilges.  Daves going to do some more sewing tonight.

cheers

• Like 5

As promised today was the final coating of antifoul (easier said that done considering the acros needed moving). Dave started early apparently do sewing (and he's about to do some more) he also cleaned the bilges and put the first coat of paint on the wheelhouse floor.  We also did further tidying and I painted the mud weight and the pig iron for the ballast.

Tomorrow is really the last day of the project and the jobs left to do can be counted on one hand now!! 

• Like 6

Yes Iain, I think I will be a tad emotional when this is over but at the same time absolutely ecstatic for Alan and Dave, just think, no more weekends and late nights working on Orca just time spent aboard her on the Broads and well deserved for them both. I think most of us that have followed this feel Alan and Dave have become our friends who we are extremely fond of

I have this feeling I can't seem to shrug off that it won't be long before they get itchy feet and start looking for another adventure, until then the new blog starts soon and I can't wait, they just better not forget to post pictures, if there's one or two of Alan or Dave sunbathing, then I guess we will just have to put up with it, what a hardship that will be (not) :naughty:

Grace :kiss

• Like 3

It's ok guys, we still have a few more jobs left to do and we still have next weekend so it's not over yet.. although it pretty much is!

Today lots of little jobs.. boot load of rubbish to the tip which took hours as most of medway towns had the same idea. Dave put some vents in the engine bay (we had kinda forgotten them!), he also; fitted the anode to the sterndrive (our surveyor who happens to be a member agreed that it doesn't look enough considering it was supplied by the supplier of the leg so I've just ordered a second one), he also painted wheelhouse floor.. it will need another coat due to the pesky blue primer (whoops!). I cut the mooring lines into three bits using the blow torch knife thing, blew the fendoffs up and put a bowline in each of the fender warps.  We also fixed put in the two missing canopy fittings and installed two fender cleats to take two fenders on the swimdeck and that was about it.

I wanted it finished today and to be honest it pretty much is, we still need to make up the last couple of cushions, varnish the oak name plaques and screw them up, install the boat toll plaques (when they arrive!), final coat of paint on the wheelhouse floor and install the other anode (when it arrives) but these can be done in the week and next weekend.. So there will be an update next weekend!!!

• Like 7

Alan,

After all the work I have done following this project and if I see you on the rivers, I will cut straight across your bows to make you stop and enjoy a drink with us. I will make sure I will always have a bottle of something nice to enjoy with you. SAFE CRUISING.

• Like 3

Alan,

After all the work I have done following this project and if I see you on the rivers, I will cut straight across your bows to make you stop and enjoy a drink with us. I will make sure I will always have a bottle of something nice to enjoy with you. SAFE CRUISING.

If I cut across your bows Alan, its coz the wife is steering! :naughty:  :River Police  :naughty:

cheers Iain

• Like 4

Many Thanks Eric, I may be half asleep at the helm though so maybe use the horn instead of cutting the bow lol when we catch up certainly up for a few drinks lol..  :wasted:

Iain.. I dont think you should let the wife helm for everyones benefit lol!!

• Like 2

Gracie if they are bored theres always work to be done on sk Iain you can't blame the first mate you are the skipper.

It will be good to see the boys up in Norfolk,they are well thought of at Hoo(there home base)but I am sure they will feel at home on the broads.

Ian :wave  cheers  cheersbar

• Like 4

So guys this is the last saturday post!!  :cry:  

In the week Dave painted the final coat on the wheelhouse floor and it's come up really well.. it looks a lot cleaner.. its a shame we didn't get the teak deck down but thats a job for another time!

It was a rainy morning so Dave finished off the cushions for the wheelhouse seat, we test fitted and they came up well. He also realligned the driveshaft coupling as he wasn't happy about it (playing)... Other than that we gave the boat a good wash down and waxed the hull.. After lunch we had our first afternoon away from the boat for a long long time! although we went to Ikea to get random bits for the boat!!

• Like 4