Sabre 28 - Cruiser - Project

JawsOrca

Hi Jaws, firstly, this is a really great thread, and some ingenious ideas of how to re-use something that could have so easily been binned. My only question is why did`nt you make the gas bottle locker big enough for 2 bottles, such as on a hireboat?.

Keep up with a great thread .......................... Neil.

Hi Neil,

Thanks for your message.. I'm liking the ingenious comment.. :naughty:  cheers

I think the reasons for making it that small is along the following; We did the (finger) maths of how many days a year we will use the boat and we worked out that one bottle will probably last one year (30 days use) considering we will only use the gas to cook with. I personally am a bit afraid of gas so I want to carry as lease as possible. We believe/hope gas is regularly available so if it actually runs out when away we can still get one (or have to eat out!), living on a boat too means that we are used to regularly checking gas bottles (and we have spares aboard here which can bring up).  We don't have a lot of space there as the cali is there as is the exhaust gooseneck (Batteries are the other side). I really want to keep the weight down as I want to go as fast as possible :) just in case we want to go coastal.

I understand your comment though and in hindsight we probably should have made it bigger for two as if we come to sell that may put people off.. but we are really doing this one to keep (No more projects!!).

Thanks again.

Regards, Alan

Hi Alan,  Some good points you raise there, but what i would have done if i`d come up with the same thought would be to have sized the locker for 2 smaller ones, so you will at least know if one runs out, you have an imediate back up. However, your reasoning makes sense, and  will suit your needs adequately. When do you think she`ll be ready for engine runs?.

Regards ....................... Neil.

• Like 1

Thanks Neil.

We was hoping to fire the engine up last week but as we managed to get hold of a new engine panel we want to get all the right cabling so we don't have stray cables going through the boat (which was the plan before getting the panel), I'll order these in the week so hopefully towards the end of the week we can start it up!  It is hard though we both really want to start it up as it adds a ton of feeling hearing it going and feeling the engine through the boat.. but we also need to be a tad careful too as its never been started from new.. gulp!  I'll let everyone know though!

Grace.. we did both eye up a broom ocean 47 today as a new houseboat.. but at that price no chance!!

So we got back from norfolk yesterday so we was able to spend a full day on the boat today which was nice. It would have been nice to spend more time in norfolk but it was also nice to get back here and spend a day on our own boat (quicker we get back quicker we get up there) Firstly though what happened midweek.

Lots of parts arrived. We have ordered lots of electrical items. Including a vetus engine panel, so I just need to order the engine panel to engine cables now, once they arrive we will ready to test start the engine, hopefully this will be next weekend. We both had a hectic week though so we didn't spend a lot of time on the boat midweek although dave painted the gas bottle locker inside and out. 

Today though we had a good day and just finished. We removed the big lorry sheet thats been covering her (since December) and we finally was able to look at the boat side on (shes always been jammed between boats).. she looks ok.. tad 80's but can't complain!  The boat has close to a million rusty mild steel screws.. mainly around the hard top but also on the rubbing strips. These have to come out as if left in they will still come through the new paintwork and ruin it but they are well and truly stuck in so each had to be carefully (well the first couple) removed. We drill 4 small holes around the screw and then whack with a hammer ;) Then use a countersink drill bit to round the edges off and then fill (although deep ones need a glass mat on the inside).. I think we did about 100 of these. I also took the chisel to a couple of spider cracks (although theres too many). We then used almost 1kg of car body filler to fill everything in. I then tried our new random orbital sander to start sanding the hull down (It worked really well).

Hopefully the weather holds out a few more days and we can carry on sanding and filling.. I suspect it will take three times to get it ready for primer, although if it rains we have plenty to do inside.

• Like 1

Hi Allan,

i`m sure you`ve already thought of it, but have you fitted a drain / vent outboard pipe to the LOWEST part of the new gas locker, i believe it`s a legal requirement now especially for BSSC?. Gas being heavier than air, a lot of people make gas lockers with a dip in the bottom corner and a drain / vent pipe from the dip to take the gas fumes (if a leak does occur?) out of the locker to outside the boat.

I hope i`m not teaching you to suck eggs?.

Regards and best wishes ........................ Neil.

Hi Neil,

Thanks for this, don't worry though we always follow, if not try to surpass BSS standards. We will fit a drain although we have taken all the skin fittings off the hull at the moment to allow us to paint so its not the best time to fit this at present, but certainly will be.  (I'm stressing at the moment with the ventilation calculations.. We are just going to though a ton of vents in and hope for the best!!).

Please don't be afraid to shout if you notice us doing anything wrong though, there is a lot to do so there maybe times where we've missed something.. This is one reason why I'm doing this blog.

Thanks again,

Best regards, 

Alan

• Like 1

We both had a hectic week though so we didn't spend a lot of time on the boat midweek although dave painted the gas bottle locker inside and out. 

Today though we had a good day and just finished. We removed the big lorry sheet thats been covering her (since December) and we finally was able to look at the boat side on (shes always been jammed between boats).. she looks ok.. tad 80's but can't complain!  The boat has close to a million rusty mild steel screws.. mainly around the hard top but also on the rubbing strips. These have to come out as if left in they will still come through the new paintwork and ruin it but they are well and truly stuck in so each had to be carefully (well the first couple) removed. We drill 4 small holes around the screw and then whack with a hammer ;) Then use a countersink drill bit to round the edges off and then fill (although deep ones need a glass mat on the inside).. I think we did about 100 of these. I also took the chisel to a couple of spider cracks (although theres too many). We then used almost 1kg of car body filler to fill everything in. I then tried our new random orbital sander to start sanding the hull down (It worked really well).

Hopefully the weather holds out a few more days and we can carry on sanding and filling.. I suspect it will take three times to get it ready for primer, although if it rains we have plenty to do inside.

Are you sure you didn't used to work in Jon's yard, Alan?  :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

• Like 1

We found a name on the boat whilst sanding :):( (I don't like renaming boats)... "Marguerite I" I wonder if anyone can help with any history.. I'm a bit confused because I found this link "http://www.broads.org.uk/wiki/index.php5?title=Boat_Details&BoatId=5150&BoatHistory=18795" which has a "Marguerite" (But not the I (as in one)) This is link states ownership as Richardson. I wonder if Clive or anyone knows if Richardsons had a "Marguerite class".

I really didn't expect to find a name and I'm bit shocked... Be really nice if anyone knows any history though. As her hull is is good shape (and theres no excessive rubbing strips) I thought it would have been private from build.

Thanks all... 

Thanks Iain.. You don't by any chances, happen any pictures of this class of boats? I'm so intrigued now.. It's also so cool that the boat is coming home as apparently its spent alot of its time in boatyards here and on the isle of wight..!

Just a progress report.

I may make these more frequent now as things are speeding up and before we know it we will be afloat (Pinch..)..

So last week, we done a ton of filling all over the hull and superstructure! Also as the weather was lovely we managed to sand the hull sides all round once and then fill and sand again and its come up very very well indeed, perfectly smooth! I noticed I missed about 5 minor little marks though so I just need to do them again and then that's it done ready for priming (Although it would probably need to wait until some guaranteed dry weekends). 

This week we also decided that the fuse panel will go within the steering console so he cut a hole for this, he also cut holes for some nice lamps we brought for the wheelhouse and cut a hole for the main battery master switch.

Dave also managed to get the tanks in place with all the tank fittings attached (except the waste tank.. that will need to wait). (After a bit of hassle trying to find the Nuova tank fittings we found them on the shelf in our essex chandlers..!)

Dave also sanded and filled the fibreglass in the wheelhouse this evening he put a layer of primer on the dashboard part. We need to get the dashboard back in as so we can start with the wiring so we will battle on with this in the next coming week. I just hope we can work tidily as so we don't have to do this again.

I've also as I said before been ordering lots. 

We are also winning the battle in getting the structure watertight.. Its a very difficult job but thankfully these rain storms are helping! Dave in the found we missed filling one hole on the superstructure so he filled that... fixed.. all windows including problem window runners are now watertight.. we have about three screws which are leaking which we will seal when the rain stops.. ! (That was easy!). So its time to order the side lining.. then the build really turns the corner...!

• Like 2

Todays update.. After a late start.. (11pm! - I've still got a cold and dave went over to the essex chandlery (I don't want to overly advertise companies - But it's a bloody good chandlers... Trade prices - Any kent/essex owners want to know, pm me and I'll tell you... you don't get 10% discount though unlike Bryan Wards..!).

So when I walked over to the boat I unlocked and noticed Dave had actually primed most of the inside of the wheelhouse.. Looking good!

I started on sanding the coachroof (cabin roof) but it was hard work as it's two pack car paint so its tough and the 80 grit sand paper was hardly touching it... It also lots of blisters which have dirt inside them so all needed removing...I got about 2/3rds of the roof done in about 2 hours.. After lunch I looked at the sander and noticed a speed dial on the sander.. I was using on number 1 and turning it up I done the last 1/3rd in about 15 mins... (FFS! - Dave knew about this and didn't think of telling me either.. it isn't clear what it is either in my defence.. plus I just assumed that's how fast it went.. oh well).. Once this was done I built up the courage to jump up on the wheelhouse roof (which is a tad thin!), Dave threw an acro up to help keep me up there... This was really bad though and the paint very thick so it took a good 5 hours to get through this.. although I couldn't quite reach so will have to do the last bit from the deck. Although I need more 80grit sanding pads as I used 5 today (and they are a quid a go and dave only got one pack...). 

Dave also attacked the transom which needed a lot of work and filled and sanded the bits I left off the hull.

Last job today was to throw a coat of primer on the hull... A couple of other yacht club members stood in disbelief watching todays progress.. considering just last week no work had been completed on the outside and now theres signs of paintwork.

Rain tomorrow though so back to working internally.

Couple of pictures attached..

post-28066-0-55114700-1401045139_thumb.j

post-28066-0-98533800-1401045146_thumb.j

post-28066-0-78680400-1401045158_thumb.j

post-28066-0-63243100-1401045166_thumb.j

post-28066-0-96157500-1401045213_thumb.j

post-28066-0-83102900-1401045223_thumb.j

post-28066-0-50450300-1401045233_thumb.j

• Like 2