Herbert Woods 2014

Broads01

I received my 2014 Herbert Woods brochure finally. Once again as a brochure I think its one of the best with huge photos including loads of internal and large clear layout plans.

There's a little evidence of improvements to the older craft with boats such as Tobago Light and Eastern Light having new upholstery. However I think some boats such as Magical Light look as though they would benefit from some improvement. I've always thought Woods prices aren't especially competitive and 2014 is no exception.

One curious quirk is with the introduction of the ex Le Boat craft Woods have chosen to resurrect the old Connoisseur Cruisers logo that Le Boat long since dropped. Perhaps this is an attempt to justify the premium price for these cruisers.

Simon

• 2 months later...

Hello,

We are hiring from Herbert woods for the first time and have booked the Gliding Light for a week.

I have looked around this site and one or two others and found quite a number of photograph's of the boat. I found these very handy as I now know what to expect including some ropey looking windows and interiors.

As for competitive prices, I was looking at Hoseason's and Blake's before Herbert's and for the class of boat on offer, found that Herbert's was the most reasonable (Cheapest) as they quote the price with the fuel supplement as opposed to the rest who add it on when you try to book. It's amazing how the same boat can cost £580 more for a weeks rental the day after we return it.

Anyway, I'm excited as I will be celebrating my 50th birthday afloat on the Broads, away from the hustle and bustle of real life and I will be able to add some first hand experience of the company as a newbie to the forum.

cheers

Colin

52 days till I am on Gleaming Light from Herbert Woods. Any dealings I have had so far have been first class. This is year 38 for me and 42 for the rest of the crew. :Stinky

Now all we need is lot of nice weather for all people boating, :)  But, if you holiday in UK you just take the clothes for all weathers to be on the safe side!

• Like 1

We hired from Herbert Woods a couple of years ago, I won't go into too much detail but picked the Boat up on the Saturday got as far as Acle for going South and took  it straight back very early on the Sunday morning. There were major problems with the Boat and the whole family felt they couldn't spend another night on board let alone a whole week.

Herbert Woods were brilliant, they were very apologetic and offered us a similar boat in their elite range and told us we could keep the boat until the Sunday as we had wasted a day sorting everything out, obviously we took them up on their offer.

Excellent Company and Service, Anyone can mess up and have problems but how they recover the situation can make all the difference and they certainly did for us.

Went back to Richardsons the next year though only because we adore them and I missed them (take note Clive) :love

Grace

• Like 2

Hi NorfolkNog, Will do and Thank you.

Hi BroadScot, it's 71 days for me and counting, my wife thinks that I'm nuts but... well I am a bit :wacko:

Hi Gracie, "Excellent Company and Service, Anyone can mess up and have problems but how they recover the situation can make all the difference and they certainly did for us."  This is exactly how I see it, if they recover the situation then they deserve to do well.

Thanks Folks.

• Like 1

Hi NorfolkNog, Will do and Thank you. Hi BroadScot, it's 71 days for me .
Which means the week after will be half term (we go in 78 days) hence the mammoth price rise! It will also be unbroken wall to wall sunshine with temperatures into the mid 20's.......
  • Like 1

Thanks Matt,

I was expecting typical boating weather... WET, but if it's in the mid 20's then it'll be superb.

I had forgotten about half term. It's a complete swindle, with the prices going up. Like Valentines day, as soon as it gets closer to the 14th, the prices of roses double or even triple. The day after, the price is back to normal. Bonkers.

It'll be worth it, a chance to get away, recharge and no queues in airports and being shoe horned into a plane. Bliss  :Stinky

I know all about paying top prices as my wife was a teacher so always had to book high season prices three times a year. Now that we are retired we can come and go as we please and NOT at high rate prices either. I like that. :)

So its 11 day break this time coming and hopefully another week in September.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Have just paid the balance for the boat hire and the countdown is at 60 days, I have also bought one of your     :bow    Burgees... seemed the right thing to do :grin: .

I will put a review up once we have experienced Herbert Woods and the Gliding Light 3.

Enjoy

Colin

Indeed I am Iain.

I can't wait, even bought an Ordnance Survey map of the broads and with the information gleaned from this site I have started to mark all the places to moor, eat, see etc.

It's going to be fun, especially as we are bringing a couple of our dogs... Been looking on fleabay for a wet suit as I know damn well what's going to happen!

Oh thee of little faith....Colin...its the factor 25 you will be needing to get,   :naughty:                                     

Well wet suit if you like that daft wind surfing lark. Our local beach was covered in them this morning!

No matter the weather, and this is my 42 year for some of my crew, I am sure you will have a wonderful holiday! :wave

Oh thee of little faith....Colin...its the factor 25 you will be needing to get,   :naughty:                                     

Well wet suit if you like that daft wind surfing lark. Our local beach was covered in them this morning!

No you mis-understand me.

We are bringing 2 of our 4 dogs with us and our cocker spaniel is a total nut job when it comes to water. If she jumps, slips or accidentally on purpose falls in, I know damn well that it's not going to be my wife who fishes her out! Fish1  I know that swimming isn't allowed and I'm guaranteed to get folks pointing fingers and/or a roasting but I will get them a couple of life jackets just in case.

Fifty nine and a half'ish days to go :grin:

Beg pardon Colin....know what you mean, my sister in laws Patterdale terrier thought nothing of diving in chasing the swans! Mad as a brush he was! 

No dogs this trip though. Two old sea dogs though....oops meant the wife and sister in law :naughty:  :naughty:

cheers  Iain.

• Like 2

Hi Alan,

Thank you, I have seen that type on fleabay.

This time we are bringing a Chihuahua and a mental Cocker Spaniel. I am hoping that there will be only one or two instances of 'going overboard' but we shall see.

Kind regards

Colin