Yalding

littlesprite

Little Venice at Yalding has been devastated, the flood water rose to 10 feet in the caravan park. The vans are all on floats that can go to 12 feet, unfortunately some over balanced and slid off. When people were being taken out in boats they bumped over the roofs of submerged cars.

The boat moorings seem to have been ok as they also float to 14 feet. The whole site is covered with mud but at least no one was hurt. I am hoping to get access to my boat when I get back from The Broads on Thursday. 

Ironic that we are having really low tides on The Yare at the moment and have to get onboard via the roof at times.

Regards

Mark

This is nasty, we have family friends in yalding as its shocking how high the water got.. they really need to try and do something. Although it appears theres not much they can do because of the geography :( Fingers crossed theres no repeat in the next few hours..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally managed to get onto the pontoons yesterday, the river levels have fallen but mud and damage is everywhere. The clean up has started and the flooded cars and vans cleared. Lifted the floor hatch to find the bilge full to just under the floor. The power blew on Christmas eve and seems to have damaged the charger to the domestic batteries. Being a Calypso, some rain drains into the bilge and is cleared by the pump, that is if the batteries hold out.  The batteries were dead as a dodo. Bucket and saucepan put into use and 60 buckets later the batteries had enough charge to run the bilge pump to drain the last bits of water out. That was fun.   New pump and float fitted , batteries charging with new charger and wd40 sprayed all over. Thank goodness for a handy supply of backup parts on board. New tarpaulin and ropes on order. Isn't boat ownership fun.. 

Regards

Mark. 

• Like 2

Good to hear things weren't too bad for you and fingers crossed that's it for a fair few years now.  I dare not drive up that way to take a look as it's heart breaking. I saw a picture of our first boat in the papers and I think she didn't float off her trailer ;(  But as I say I can't look any further...

Went to Wateringbury yesterday to see friends and walked along the river at Bow Bridge marina, all the boats that were on the hard standing were scattered everywhere, it resembled a Boat graveyard, there were Boats on top of Boats, I know people have lost homes and valuables but still very sad to see.

After a chat with the Marina owner it seems he can't crane them off due to the sodden ground but will do as soon as he is able.

Let's hope they are all insured and can get sorted as soon as possible.

Grace

• Like 2

I was watching our local news tonight and they were talking about the need for more housing in the south east, they plan on building 2 new garden cities involving hundreds of new houses. I think you've jumped ahead of the story and already worked out that one of the proposed sites is "Yalding" the mind boggles.

I think (hope) this is all hype by the newspapers. Our marina owners spent years and 100k to get permission to expand the number of moorings, good luck trying to get thousands of homes in the area. Only a small area is prone to flooding and we do need to build housing somewhere.

Regards

Mark

Won't that effectively join Yalding up with Maidstone? It will devastate what I remember as a lovely area.

A bit OT I know, but surely we cannot just go on building, building and building can we? There must come a time when alternatives have to be considered - not that I can think of any. All I hear is people saying we need more homes. Why? There are three within 200 yards of our pad that have been empty for 5 years at least. One is being allowed to fall apart. 

Sorry, I just find it rather scary!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So sorry to hear that Mark, hope your Boat is ok. 

Do you know if Tea Pot Island has been affected? Did'nt think to ask when I was down that way the other week, I would imagine it has due to the location, I believe up River from Little Venice.

Will be thinking of you

Grace