Guide To Norfolk Broads

VetChugger

I'm surprised nobody has raised this on the "bright side" considering the huge kerfuffle it appears to have provoked across yonder!

http://www.richardsonsboatingholidays.co.uk/guide-to-norfolk-broads-boating-for-twenty-something-ship-mates/

What I'm not surprised at is the "holier than though" response made by most but not all over there. Whilst I might agree that some points are a tad tongue in cheek, I would say it is the sort of info that would have tempted me into a holiday had I read it when I were nowt but a lad!

I think certain reactions do nothing but illustrate just how "stuffy" some folks impressions and opinions of how Boating holidays on the Broads should be taken.

A very slightly guarded "well done" to Richo's from me!

• Like 3

I think the problem with that Publication from Richardson's is the ambiguity, more than just a case of "tongue in cheek".

People would indeed be "stuffy" if they objected to anyone drinking  alcohol and enjoying their cruise on the Broads.

It's good marketing to make it clear that the Broads has something for everyone, of any age group.

The cause of the "kerfuffle" is that some of the advice is  ambiguous with regard to drinking.

Page 8 starts with the well thought out and responsible  paragraph: 

"Boating games are the cornerstone of any successful evening on a Broads cruiser. They are best enjoyed to excess, while always remaining within the realm of responsibility. Translation: Have fun, but don’t overdo it. Everything in moderation."

...and then explains four "boating" (drinking) games , where for example, "Poor performance results in drinking, naturally. Mass inebriation soon follows.".

then Page 9 has a "Boating Bingo" score card, with objectives such as:

"Someone vomits over the side of the boat"
"Someone suggests boarding another boat"
"Someone falls in the water"
"Broads speed limit is accidentally broken"
"Your boat hits another boat"

Other than that, it's a very well thought out publication, great photos, and a good advert for what the Broads has to offer.

I suspect folk may look at the "Boating Bingo" from the wrong perspective! I see it as a summary of things most of us have done in the past without actually saying it is seen as acceptable behaviour. Just a recognition of the symptoms of holidays when we were young! Its a rather clever way of saying we know what might happen and be aware of this. It sows the seeds of thoughts of consequences does it not?

Have to say I would much prefer any crew member looking for hughie (or huey)  to do it over the side rather than inboard!

• Like 1

"I suspect folk may look at the "Boating Bingo" from the wrong perspective! I see it as a summary of things most of us have done in the past without actually saying it is seen as acceptable behavior. .......!

I think most people see a "Bingo Card" as a target, rather than a reminiscence, and it's inclusion in the guide will most likely give that exact impression. 

Especially as it is headed: 

"As you’ve probably guessed by now, a lot of things can happen on a Broads

adventure with your mates. Use this boating bingo card during your trip to keep

track of the most likely happenings. For added competitive fun, print out a copy

for everyone!"

As you say, we all see things differently....   :)

I still agree it's a very good publication though, aside from that.

The PDF link on Richardson's website has suddenly been replaced by:

"We have temporarily removed this guide as an incorrect version has been uploaded. This was a draft provided by an agency and not the one signed off by Richardson�s. Apologies for any inconvenience. The correct version will be with you soon."

Its good to see they updated this as it did rise an eyebrowl.. but I also think its really good they done this as hoseasons and BA are clearly so bad at correctly marketing the broads these days.. (Plus having nav lights its nice to be able find another mooring when these boats turn up next to us!!).. But good work Richardsons your marketing is brilliant :)

Ooops!

Sorry for the 'dull' version, it is the one I created a couple of weeks ago sat next to our marketing manager (Emma) a while before Christmas... I sat next to her as there were too many alterations to bother typing out!

It is a shame no one said about this yesterday as getting hold of our web guy on a Saturday proved to be a bit of a chore to say the least, luckily he had the correct version and uploaded it.

I think we have had a few more hits on the website than normal so it seems all is well!

it good to see so much support when we manage to c#*k things up a little but there seems to be no harm done and the 'wrong' version seems to have tickled a few people.

Book early!

• Like 5

Expect the FBI / MI5 / Men In Black smashing you front door in Clive. The law that is the NBF members are in full swing. I think so far you have been reported to Trading Standards, Broads Authority & God. I think they've retired from court now to discuss a public hanging on Stalham High Street.

Naughty step for you!

P.S. Great marketing idea, keep up the good work!

• Like 2

I think the difference between the 2 forums is that the others take everything too serious. Ok the bingo may have been a little too much for some, but for gods sake was there any need to contact just about everyone except richardsons to complain or even go so far as to suggest legal action if they were hit by a richardsons boat.

At least it's got Clive some good web exposure & I suspect you'd bee able to get some advertising revenue off your web hits stats from the last few days Clive. Lol

Part of me thinks Clive did it on purpose to get all the attention for a while

• Like 1

Shows the difference in attitudes a steady well mannered thread about the topic on this forum where as the NBF are into 2 threads totalling 14 pages now.

some people need to realise the world doesn't revolve around them, it seems that those people seem to reside on one forum.

I mean reporting to trading standards, give your head a shake!

Thanks Clive ,we had boating friends round last night and it did provide an interesting talking point,we could imagine being bashed ,boarded and the the vomited on and upon remonstrating. Being told we only need three for a full house LOL As said any publicity is good publicity,maybe we could try some of the on board games at a meet ,it would liven things up.cheers .

Interesting.

I think Richard really needs to start to reign these people in before they ruin his forum. Just reading various broads related websites/forums and it does seem that the NBF is starting to gain a reputation within the broads community as a very intolerable place to be.

The NBF Has been slated regarding this on here, the NBO and someone has had a go regarding the forum on Richardsons Facebook page.

I was reading the NBF last night there was a thread running about someone wanting to arrange a stag do on the broads some of the things they were asking were a little bit rowdy like playing music and giving the. Boat some throttle but were perfectly valid questions for a youngster new to the broads. And unaware of the rules and a couple of the good posters had answered the questions with answers a little info and a point in the right direction to which the chap seemed very grateful That thread now has vanished! It didn't violate any TOS. Censorship at its best from the establishment. That's what happens when you have mods with inflated self importance and a very narrow minded attitude to others lifestyles and social backgrounds

...... And unaware of the rules and a couple of the good posters had answered the questions with answers a little info and a point in the right direction to which the chap seemed very grateful That thread now has vanished! It didn't violate any TOS. Censorship at its best from the establishment. That's what happens when you have mods with inflated self importance and a very narrow minded attitude to others lifestyles and social backgrounds

That "unaware" "new poster" had the same IP address as an NBF regular, who had just registered that new member ID to Troll the subject.

Amongst his other "valid" comments were references to "Ann Summers" and such.

It was clearly intended to inflame the situation, and IMHO, the mods were right to remove it.

I thought there was a general rule on here about not knocking other forums ?......

Possibly Matt, who knows but why delete it if TOS were not violated and Mods are not 100% it was a wind up, nobody posted to state it was in jest. Mods should not bring their personal narrow minded attitudes into play when editing or deleting posts. They should follow the TOS only. It Is quickly becoming a joke on there and other on other social media sites are starting to voice this

Stowager, if you are not a mod why would you be privy to other posters IP addresses? Unless personal information is been past around regarding other posters within the clique? I would be alarmed if Mods were passing my information to other posters without my permission. Could someone threaten a lawsuit for disclosure of personal information on that!!

According to the Information Commissioner, an IP address in isolation is NOT personal data. Threaten away if you want to waste your time.

Correct but if that information is passed around what else is passed around? Not a threat, personally I couldn't care less as I am not a registered user on the NBF I asked for my account to be deleted over a year ago. I'm glad I did!

And your kind of missing the point. Why would anything regarding another poster that is not visible need to be passed around?

....Stowager, if you are not a mod why would you be privy to other posters IP addresses? Unless personal information is been past around regarding other posters within the clique? I would be alarmed if Mods were passing my information to other posters without my permission. Could someone threaten a lawsuit for disclosure of personal information on that!!

So much suspicion and mistrust BigDave.

I have no connection with the NBF or any of their mods, and they dislike me as much as you now seem too !

I was following that thread before it was deleted, and suspected a wind up, so I posted the question "IP address ?", to which a mod replied that it was an existing member, but they felt it was "tongue in cheek".

This was all done in the open forum, on that thread, no sinister PMs.

Nothing sinister there, just the sad attempt by that person to stir up the bad feeling even more.

Surely all forums should rise above this pettiness ?

It must be very discouraging to genuine new readers....