wild moorings

andyhesford

always moored at pubs and free moorings and middle off malthouse broad. on the way back to boat yard last time on the river ant noticed some places that have been used which look nice , anybody got any suggestions it would be nice to moore where nobody else is around

• Like 1

Andy there are loads of Wild Moorings along the Ant, over the years I think I've moored at all of them, the only advice I'd give is enter them slowly or get as close as you can and pull the boat in, there are lots of hidden roots and tree trunks but if the bank looks well used those are usually pretty safe,

there are also some what I call cuts like the one on the Island when you leave Broadsedge, it's the cut through where you go to Sutton Staith, there's a nice cut out in the reeds, if you go in slowly nose first it's a nice spot and the fishing is quite good too,

Frank,,,, 

• Like 1

just watch them ole recluse spots at mo as most orf them are treebound 

lots orf trees dun at mo cause orf the great ole winds we had ....

had a mini tornado come through today we had to hold the main shud doors as the negative pursuer increased  and sucked them ole huge doors outwards 

on both shuds too ............................

bloody wind ......................................

lots orff rooots showing and reed beds moved too .......................

once o moor one orf me ole booots in them spots and dampen them dun again all be good again 

great moorings along the ant for exploring and running naked through the wood s

well i do ..............................

watch that thistle ..................................

• Like 1

if  yer boot will fitt try hidden dun the ole canal past me ..................

watch the fish,otters and kingfishers and see the great ole bird or prey in the trees tooo

and lean over the bank and pick sum water cress.............yummmmmmmmmmmm....

if not mooor with me at my yard and nick one orf me canoes or use yer own and get orf down there its a different world 

i doo tours every naw and then too 

slow there and fast back ........................hang on if yer like and air boot ride ....

Have to say wild mooring is just the best in my opinion, moor at a pub for lunch and a couple of drinks and then find yourself a wild mooring get the fishing rods out open a bottle of wine and watch the Boats go by. At night you feel like you're the only people in the whole world, sheer bliss.

Grace

• Like 1

That's why I always try to get to the Mooring for the Pilot as early in the day as possible, fewer people about to witness any mistakes, now we've got the damned web cams Lol.

Another plus for wild moorings is very few people about to witness any mooring disasters, 

Grace

• Like 2

Hi John,

When we were moored on the Northern Broads, we used to book a mooring at The Hotel Wroxham and have never been hit. Whilst we have been on Ranworth Breeze we have never been hit at all. Since the boat was launched in 2001 we have only been hit twice, once by a Richardsons boat and once by a Sandersons boat. In both cases the apropriate gel coat repairs were undertaken and settled directly by both companies which was fully appreciated.

Our boat is fully in use for 40 weeks of the year so only having two incidents is rare by anyones standard.

Regards

Alan

More often than not I prefer to ‘wild moor’ as not only does one feel more relaxed away from others in case someone runs their engine late or early or plays loud music, you do get the feeling of really being away from it all.

The River Ant has some lovely options, my personal favourites being one between two trees which is clearly very popular in the season for the bank is very clearly been used as a mooring for several years.  The trees are mature and have stout large trunks with which to wrap your ropes round. 

This video shows its location and how it looks to moor at: http://youtu.be/E96JDk_DuC0?t=35m37s

The next is on Womack Dyke, just off the River Thurne as you head towards Womack Water.  While there are several options, the ‘layby’ mooring (as I call it) is preferred since it is literally a mooring in a ‘cut in’ so the river is wider and boats can pass with ease, it also means that if Albion is about they have more room to pass by than other moorings.  You need the Rond Anchors but the bank is firm and offers some great views over the marshes.  

This video shows its location and how it looks to moor at: http://youtu.be/iRh6Q2g8UfA?t=45m58s

But there are many others to choose from and even some more formal moorings which are often less used and offer some space from others if that is what you seek.  I thoroughly recommend ‘wild mooring’ and long may such be possible!

• Like 3

2 fav wild moorings are "big tree" top of Horning under the branch of a tree. Down side speeding boat and wash good fishing. Don't panic Clive not took the new boats under it lol (don't want to lose the Tv Receiver on the front.)

2nd is just before you enter the 2nd part of South Walsham, tie front off the tree and mud weight out back. great sunsets over broad. A 1st night mooring depending on set off time from Stalham.

Why ain't BA replacing trees they cut down.?

@ Hylander:

"Robin

I dont want to join anything,  was just going to look at your links.      There is some woman telling me to click the button to get started.   I assumed this was your links not a company."

I have just clicked both the links, they are both correct and point to a specific time point in a video of the moorings in question.

I can only guess that perhaps you are using a Tablet/iPad and the video is not available on mobile devises so may then send you to another video - or perhaps it was an advert prior to the video beginning but if none of the above applies and links being clicked to You Tube take you anywhere but there you may have a little something nasty on your computer that is perhaps hijacking links..