Elephant in the room?

MauriceMynah

I notice with some interest that the NBF is down again. Perhaps more interesting is the fact that on this occasion nobody seems to have mentioned it on this forum. Is there any reason for this?

In the past such outages have been logged here, and those who are members of both forums have been kept informed.

I am well aware that there are those who have private (or sometimes not so private) beefs with other forums, but so many people are members of more than one broads forum, that I'm just a little surprised that this outage is mentioned on the 'third' forum but not this one.

I use neither facebook nor twitter, and have no great wish to start doing so. I very much hope that the small number of aggrieved ex-nbf members are not influencing the content of this forum, as that would be unfortunate!

• Like 1

Hello JFT,

I noticed that the NBF was down early yesterday, but had nothing to report other than we had additional posts over the weekend. I assume that it must have been unavailable over the weekend. 

I only go on the NBF from time to time these days. The NBF was still down this morning and have not seen any messages on other forums indicating why the forum is down.

It is a pity that any forum is unavailable to its members and I hope it is restored soon.

We welcome any NBF members to get their daily fix of Broads related topics on the NBN, but we will not tolerate any forum bashing of any kind.

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

I use neither facebook nor twitter, and have no great wish to start doing so. I very much hope that the small number of aggrieved ex-nbf members are not influencing the content of this forum, as that would be unfortunate!

As Jonzo has said several times, and Alan repeated above, the Mods will not tolerate that, nor any other "bashing".

Our Forum is for Norfolk Broads lovers, not anti-anything motivated bashers.

• Like 3

Thanks Alan, (ranworth breeze) I too dislike 'forum bashing' and hope it's avoided here. I find myself in the position of having many friends each on the forums, some of whom belong to only one, but not the same one!

Consequently I need to use all three. Each forum for me has something to offer that the other two lack, yet each lacks something that the other two both have. Such is life! Sometimes I cannot put my finger on what it is that's there or what it is that's lacking.... it just 'IS' !!!

It is purely information I am asking for here, for example to be informed if a member finds that the NBF comes back for a short while, and if progress is being made regarding the problems it's having.

I have no interest in 'good riddance to bad rubbish' posts nor really do I have much interest in the technical reasons for the outage, as I don't understand them.

I DO know that an awful lot of people work very hard indeed to keep these forums up and running and am grateful to each and every one of them .

So I ask ..... Please keep this thread friendly and informative, I'd hate to see it locked or removed owing to acidic comments. 

Edited to add.... Thanks H.A. I was writing this as you posted.

• Like 3

According to the NBF Facebook page, their hosting company has suffered from a DDOS attack (don't ask me, I have no idea either). This quote is directly from the latest post on 12/01/13

"I emailed them this morning, but as yet they have not got back to me. I notice that some of their servers are coming back online, but all accounts are suspended"

Just the known facts then, (good idea).

The NBF has been unavailable since last weekend.

As already mentioned, their public facebook page, (visible to anonymous non-logged facebook in visitors like me), states that the DDOS attack is the cause.

"Distributed Denial of Service" is explained on Wiki, here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-of-service_attack

When you try to access the NBF via the home page, you get the web hosting company's default advertising page, which implies that the site is offline.

When you try to access the NBF via a stored URL link within the site, like the "latest posts" search, you are redirected to a coldfusion debugging page, which implies a problem with the script, rather than the URL being bombed.

edit - Broadscot pipped me at the post with the Wiki link:)

May as a regular user of the NBF, just say that its nice that you are willing to be open to NBF members in such instances, and as a result you will get more members too boot, i use this site and more often the NBF, not because of any preferance, but i have found i was using the NBF first and just stuck with it, i hardly have time to go on one site let alone 3 or 4, thing change and you never know. I do not see it as a competion and have been helped in the past by certian member on here even though i fly the NBF pennant on teh front of my boat, and have just moved said boat to one of your biggest members Richo's wet shed. we are all here for the same singular reason,- The Norfolk and Suffolk Broads.

• Like 4

Struggle to see what you are not following? If you read the other site you would see that "he" was not happy and let them know.

I like both sites, and follow both. I love the Broads and Boating. I am grateful for all of the time and effort that everyone puts in the these sites and applaud them for it.

I