Elephant in the room?

MauriceMynah

I imagine that Richard is waiting to see how it goes over time. It perhaps is teething problems. Lets hope it is. I wish him well, and hope it sorts itself out for both him, and the members. It can't be easy running these forums.

Maurice

• Like 2

I can only sympathise. When Jonzo upgraded this forum to IPB software, despite all the testing the team had done behind the scenes, when it came to launch day it was a non starter and meant delaying the launch for several weeks. Trying to migrate a forum without having the facility to carry out extensive testing for weeks prior must be an absolute nightmare for Richard.

I can only sympathise. When Jonzo upgraded this forum to IPB software, despite all the testing the team had done behind the scenes, when it came to launch day it was a non starter and meant delaying the launch for several weeks. Trying to migrate a forum without having the facility to carry out extensive testing for weeks prior must be an absolute nightmare for Richard.

It seems to be a different problem to software migration though.

The forum seemed to run quite successfully from the end of November to early Jan, six weeks after migration from home hosting to a professional  Coldfusion webhosting service.

The latest outage was caused by DDOS attacks on the host, we are told, rather than code incompatibility.

Is a DDOS attack an intentional piece of IT sabotage? or is it a weakness within the system?

By "both" Andy means that it can be a weakness within the system to be susceptible to ddos attacks.

Ddos attacks themselves however, are always malicious attempts to sabotage websites, as explained on the wiki link posted earlier: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-of-service_attack

The target website is generally bombarded with huge numbers of page requests by automated bots.

The usual targets are generally high profile websites though.