Inverter Wiring In line Fuse?

Thanks for the links Strow, they made for good reading, I too like Frank like piccy's, that's why I look at the Daily Star!

Hi Frank

I think your right, it seems that 2/3/4+ leisure/Domestic cells are classed as 1 large battery and the cranking battery is then 1 battery, so a 1 in 2 out unit would be sufficient providing the Amp out put is high enough to deal with the size of the 1 domestic bank, they do come in various outputs so again I will have to work out which would suit my use. A 3 output unit would again split the charge to another 'bank'  A bow thruster battery maybe.

Of course the alternator must be of reasonable/high output and good condition as this is essentially the 'charger'

to enable the unit to work efficiently. The Sterling units are essentially a split charge Diode but they offer  advanced tech of 0.0v loss (need to find out what that actually means) oh and they have pretty LED's that give you an idea of what the unit is doing,,,if you want to stick your head in there instead of enjoying the view of the river that is :-/ 

Bazza! the longer this post go's on the more your getting confused, :wacko: but Mbirds plan sounds a good one, still be no good for me thought! my head would be in the cupboard all day, I love LED's and shinny stuff, even my dash instruments lights up, the Mrs reckons I was a Magpie in a previous life,,

Frank,,,

Although I have no intention of ever fitting one, I love learning about stuff like this just in case,,,, ;)

• Like 1

Mbird, that's interesting,

So having 1 battery dedicated for inverter use would then stop your domestic bank being depleted through usage or by incident?

That was the plan Bazza. In reality, it worked ok for the TV/DVD we had, which only drew 60w, and also the small things like hair straighteners. However, even though we had a 650w microwave (the inverter was 2kw), the single 110ah battery would only have sufficient juice in it to run the microwave for about a minute before the inverter cut-out due to low voltage. It didn't really matter to us as we hardly ever used it anyway, but I don't think I'd go down that route again as there simply isn't enough "oomph" in a single battery to supply the high current draw and maintain voltage at a high enough level that way.

I thought I'd clarify something I said regarding seeing it on the shelf is so much better than a distance purchase on the net, when my Mega Fuse Holder arrived (there's a hint in the name I guess) I was

surprised at it's quite substantial size, I have put a credit card size Boat Shed card in the picture to give an idea of scale. (pic especially for you Frank) ;-D

The inverter arrived today so now I can be sure of all connection sizes required when ordering power cables, happy days.

post-24613-0-78474200-1390393977_thumb.j

Thanks John, do like to keep things nice and tidy where possible. Additional pictures showing location of the fourth battery and the chargers and invertor. The four batteries shown are actually paired as 2 x 24V 110amp. One drives the invertor / roof winch and the other drives the fridge / heater. In the engine bay is an additional 12V 110amp for engine start and under the helm seat the final 12V 110amp battery for domestics.

post-35-0-20948700-1390476339_thumb.jpg

post-35-0-92122300-1390476397_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Alan! that's all a bit too tidy for me! I'd never find anything, but I'm surprised yours doesn't look like that!!! Nah! I fibbed! mine isn't quite as good as that, but I must confess that every time I hoover the boat I actually hoover out the battery compartment, anyway Kfur's isn't that good! it's not symmetrical that third battery on the right has the strap knot on the right while the other two are on the left, :eek:

Frank,,,