In flight collisions

Broads01

Last year I had a very scary moment on the Bure between Coltishall and Wroxham. It was April, the river was quiet and it was a fine day. All was normal and relaxed and we were chugging along within the speed limit. There were some people in a rowing boat ahead of us in the centre of the river and that was fine because it was a wide section with room to pass either side. Also ahead of us a cruiser approached, steaming along at a fair pace. The helmsman was steering a path initially well to her own side but within an instant she was distracted by the rowing boat and veered towards it. She shouted something to the rowing boat and took her eyes off the path ahead. In another instant she was heading towards us and it was too late to do anything about it. Fortunately she realised in enough time to avert a major collision and there was only minor contact which removed one of our fenders but no damage done to the boat.

In many years of boating this is the closest I've come to a collision with an oncoming craft. On the forum I've read about people being hit whilst moored but I was wondering what experiences or near misses people have had on the move.