The crazy price of diesel.

Mirage

Guest Paul t

Perry,

Of course the FSA weren,t vigilant enough in detecting, early enough, the failings of both these venerable institutions. Remember Northern Rock was a small time Building Society in my home city (Newcastle) before the Thatcher Government of the early 80,s deregulated the Financial Services Sector and were partly responsible for the free for all that followed.

Blaming the FSA is like blaming PC Plod for not catching the Burglar 2 streets away. Yes he probably should catch him but if the Burglar didn,t offend in the first place the officer wouldn,t have to waste valuable time trying to apprehend the villain.

A simple analogy perhaps, but it was senior managers , directors etc who failed their shareholders and customers by employing a risky lending model.

Were any of those responsible ever held to account. Of course not, and we the Tax payers have to pick up the tab. This money could have been better spent on the Armed Forces, Education, Law and Order, NHS etc, Dredging the Broads etc etc.

Paul

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tax payers have to pick up the tab. This money could have been better spent on the Armed Forces, Education, Law and Order, NHS etc, Dredging the Broads

My point precisely but an enquiry has found the FSA wanting. I take your point re Directors of Northern Rock but what other private company is bailed out with Tax Payers money due to FSA and Directors mismanagement. That decision was the governments and many independent experts lay the blame of this fiasco at the feet of the good comrade.

Free enterprise should be exactly that, the want for people to better themselves and achieve what used to be the wealth of the aristocracy should be encouraged, when the right person takes up the mantle it results in employment and a better standard of living for ten's, hundreds or thousands of people, get it wrong and they stand to lose everything. The banking system is an area where this risk is slightly different, if they get it wrong then normal people suffer by losing money that they had not been in the slightest reckless with, it is for this reason that the FSA must regulate the banking industry, after all the bosses get huge bonuses for risks that pay off and even bigger parting gifts for those that don't.

This is different to people choosing to borrow beyond their means, then it is really their lookout and they should be prepared to face the consequences.

Private borrowing is the individuals choice but when the Goverment, charged with administering the money that is taken and not that given by choice, fails misserably in it's attempts to balance the books then we have the right to complain and get angry. When that incompetence results in individuals factored costs rising by amounts beyond reasonable forcasts then it is the goverment that is at fault, not those that pushed themselves close to the limit of what they could afford, the general public can't just put it's hands in to ministers pockets when they have screwed up so why should it be right the other way round

Labour have always managed to fail misserably on the ecconomic front and with the money that they take from us.

So we are all agreed then, that people are inherently greedy. That we all have our heads turned by turning a buck, especially the 'big buck'! So we need independent bodies to watch over the dealings of Banks and Finance. Unfortunately , The Finance Industry was de- regulated some time ago, which led to the formation of the ineffectual FSA.

Who was responsible for de-regulation?

The B**** Thatcher, that's who!

Why is our public transport service in such a state (especially in rural areas)? That also was de-regulated by the same PM, for private gain at the cost of public service!

She is guilty of treason! Hang her ! :evil::evil::evil:

well watching the news this morning and says fuel for the first time since its started rocketing

it was steady at $149PB today it dropped to $129PB not much but least its something

It does not surprise me one bit that the FSA is not effective. Having worked in the banking industry for 38 years I cannot think of any other club capable of covering its tracks the way the financial sector does.

World events are having a huge effect on the economies of all countries, the blame lies with the wealthy countries, USA ourselves etc, not the governments, they will never be allowed to control what goes on in finance, its the financial markets, the speculators, that rule.

As for the future in the UK, the very thought of a Tory government again is just too terrible to consider............The rich get richer and the poor get poorer............suffering in the land!

Who was responsible for de-regulation?

The B**** Thatcher, that's who!

Why is our public transport service in such a state (especially in rural areas)? That also was de-regulated by the same PM, for private gain at the cost of public service!

She is guilty of treason! Hang her ! :evil::evil::evil:

Did I read somewhere that this was a family-friendly forum? Oh, sorry, perhaps it was a different forum I was looking at.

Well its good to see Prudence (sorry Gordy) is about to change his 'Golden Rules' to allow more borrowing.

The Golden Rules which were trumpeted so often and so loudly suddenly are not important at all. :lol::lol::norty:

As I said in an earlier post if they had put money aside instead of squandering it there would be no need to borrow as it could come from reserves. As was said in another placed Gordy "did not fix the roof when the sun was shining" as a result we are all getting wet two guns

Get ready for more taxes come the autumn.

By the way Flanaguff you mentioned pensioners as a rightly needy group. Tell me who was it that taxed pension funds to the tune of £ 5 billion per year removing all confidenve and who decided to remove the 10p tax rate for the lowest paid - They don't strike me as policy's designed to help the needy.

Guest flanaguff

Im with POPPY and Heron!

Total debt inthis country on Mortages, credit cards etc in excess of a TRILLION pounds, how come easy stop building council houses, sell millions of them off, dont allow the receipts on selling the houses to be spent on building new ones, allow Banks to indulge in an orgy of irresponsible lending,speculate on everything imaginable particularly OIL, castrate the workers only source of protection [the unions] manipulate the media, allow it to become nothing but a propaganda organ for capitilasism,feed the masses mindbending crap Corrie,East Enders Emmerdale,Home and Away Neighbours ETC none of which address problems such as the PENSIONERS, all down to the THING Thatcher and the PINK TORYSWho took index linked pensions from the pensioners resulting in how many deaths THING again. And some call her a hero! who failed to address the prob Blair Brown and Pinkies.

My analisis is capatalism is crawling up its own orifice two gunstwo gunstwo gunstwo gunstwo gunstwo guns

Guest Paul t
Labour have always managed to fail misserably on the ecconomic front and with the money that they take from us.

Whilst the Wilson Government of the 60,s (devaluation of the pound) and the Callaghan Government of the 70,s ("In place of strife" the failure to force the unions to modernise) were culpapable, i hardly suggest that the current Government are quite in that league.

In fact we are are in the longest period of economic growth in history, and despite the scaremongering tactics of the largely Tory press (and the BBC since it got a kicking over the Andrew Gilligan affair) we are not actually in a recession at the moment (i.e two consecutive quaters of negative growth). In fact the latest report from the IMF suggsts that Britain will actually avoid recession and the economy will grow by 1.8% next year.

Remember the last recession was caused by Norman Lamont led by the hapless John Major pegging the value of the pound to the German Mark in a futile attempt to remain in the ERM which resulted in 15% (YES 15%) interest rates and an ignominious exit from the said ERM on Black Wednesday. The Tories never recovered from this debacle and with this track record are they really our Saviours?

Look i,m no mug, this governement is in it,s dying days and will be dispatched at the next election. However once in power what is Good Old Dave going to do about rising gas and oil prices, the emergence of India and China as economic powerhouses, the structural problems in the world banking system and of course the threat of global warming (never mind the long term future of the Health Service).

I suspect not a lot, as i have said on many occaisions it is easy to snipe on the sidlines in opposition, but once in power tough decisions have to be made and i fear the worst (OOPs sorry, they have promised to reintroduce Fox Hunting !! At least it will keep the Royals Happy!!)

Paul

Well said Pault, sums it up really. Far too big a risk to let Dave & Co get in, but they will......and then there will be plenty to moan about. Makes for some interesting forum topics in a couple of years time!

Guest flanaguff

So Flying Fortress your in Unite. god help them if they listen to you!You say you can be a bit THICK sometimes I reckon its all of the TIME :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Someone said bring back Lenin, i will back that as long as we can Have Trotsky along with him. Met Arthur down in plymouth recently, hes still got it! brilliant! re-incarnation interesting out of them all I would go for James Connolly [ex T&G] probably the best of them all, no backing down with him! unlike the present day GROVELLORS :norty:

GMBs new policy AGGRESSIVE trade unionism we will have the battle!

Camerons cowboys nothing but CROOKS if they get in BLOOD on The STREETS, again,

Pensioners abandoned bynearly all on here, come on UNITE man got an opinion? or waiting for instructions? two gunstwo guns

Just got back from holiday and thought I'd have a look what the BA and EA had been up to on the BROADS RELATED politics section, but it seems to have been taken over with discussions on party politics, something I always understood was without the T & Cs of this site.

Guest flanaguff

Well third mate presumably we ALL need to have a disposable income to facilitate our Hobby, the Broads? and just maybe the price of Diesel might be relevant to that? therefore how that commodity achieved its current price might just be relevant? Everything is political from the price of a loaf of bread to your mortgage interest rates! Ignore it at your peril, for those MPs you want to chuck in the drink could possibbly be out of reach!Seems like youve got TUNNELL vision to me! ;);););):Stinky:Stinky

Agreed, politics affects everything we do and we all need to remember it, but not blather on about it every time we open our mouths, if you want to discuss party politics then discuss them by all means, preferably on pinkocommybedwetters dot com, fascists’r’us dot net or some such.

Without becoming to deep and meaningfull (If ever)

What we are dealing with in any situation where people are involved is that is always going to be emotive.

Politics: (and politicians) "The art of saying a lot and doing nothing apart from those things needed to keep my nose in the trough"

Unions: (and union leaders) "Cut and paste the above"

In some ways they (and we) suffer from the same tunnel vision.

On the subject of emotive themes, how about comparing the old labour party the tories under Mrs Thatcher and the unions. All started out with the best of intentions but look what happened. They both became so arrogant their beliefs scewed this country into the ground.

Old labour pandered to the whims of self serving union leaders, to a point that allowed Mrs Thatcher into power, she started to beleive her own PR which allowed weaker tory government a foot in the door of power, then followed a new form of labour which didn'y scare the general public as much as the old and guess what ? they came into power.

Through all this the only people that really suffered were the general population.

My last word (promise !!!!) is that NO system can ever be perfect and if you allow yourself to be led by monkeys in any form, you will only be given peanuts in return.

I now need to go a lay down in a darkened room for the rest of the day two guns:clap:bow:norty::Sailing

:wave

Guest flanaguff

Broadsbean,Tax of course, Tax the high earners above £75000 more, lots more, in proportion to what the low earners pay!! At the moment those earning large salaries pay proportionally less, unacceptable! and of course theres NI cons up them in proportion to earnings, then JOB done.What must not be forgotten is that the GREY generation as you so callously refer to them as,financed, created by their fighting in 2 World Wars, hard work and political activity the Welfare state, which undoubtedly YOU and your family rightly benefited from! A fair and equitable Tax system will solve the problems of welfare,of course the self righteous greed element wont vote for it , and therefore politicians wont advocate it! POLITICAL suicide! This is a nation of SELF interest, there is no community spirit, theTHING Thatcher destroyed it completely, possibbly it will be left to the Unions to achieve it with Industrial action, Im willing! :piratetwo guns :pirate

You might not be aware that HRH Prince Charles currently owes in excess of £170 million in Corperation Tax which he refuses to acknowlege depite criticism from ALL parties including theTorys, theres a fine example???????????? :norty::norty::norty::norty:

with a continually graying population

GREY generation as you so callously refer to

Sorry has my grasp of the English language slipped. I don't see "graying population" as callous

actually flanaguff, the referance to the graying population was not intended to be in the slightest bit callous, i work with the elderly and see their problems first hand. i also work for the public sector and work many hours of unpaid overtime, i think you are generilising to much. i see every day many examples of community spirit.

i don't see industrial action as the way forward as it is the weakest and poorest in society that suffer from such action.

tax as you say is the obvious answer but we are in danger of having more pensioners than taxpayers ultimatly.

Guest flanaguff

Tudor Rose at 23 youve seen nothing, learn the lessons of life from books not experience, a lot less painfull, ignore the present at your peril, cease debating it bring closer those mistakes again!! :cry:cry:cry:cry:cry

Broadsbean, appoligies you clearly see the problem, its just that we differ on the method of solution. :wave

Industrial action is fine why not shut Londons Tube for a couple of days, close all the locks on the Thames, stop the publicatrion of Newspapers, close TV Radio Stations? all good methods of getting the ISSUE into the publics notice and debated properly! :clap:clap:clap

Community spirit. REALLY one that allows 24000 pensioners to die EVERY year thats the spirit I can do without!! :cry:cry:twisted::evil:

Morer pensioners than Tax-Payers so we allow them to starve, surely this modern high production economy can demonstrate some HUMANITY?? :kiss

87 BILLION paid in the City last year in bonuses,too City spivs and gangsters,who reap havoc on the economy, the VICTIMS the PENSIONERS! and the rest of us! two gunstwo gunstwo gunstwo gunstwo gunstwo gunstwo guns