The crazy price of diesel.

Mirage

Here we go. Post number 100+ and something.

Am I surprised by the strong feeelings expressed following my original post just 2 weeks ago? :shocked YOU BET I AM! over 1,000 viewings, truly surprised! :o

However the main reason for my original post (in case it lost its way in the political debate that ensued) was the rising price of deisel and the fact that as well as oil companies and speculators, some of the broads boatyards appear to be ripping people off.

I quote from my original post

information says one place on the northern rivers now pricing at £1.30 for red, and people are actually paying it.... Where will it be come October/November when we start paying ROAD prices for MARINE red?

The innocent suckers paying 130p a litre 2 weeks ago are hirers, many of whom have little, if any, appreciation that they are buying a different type of deisel (red not white) to that which they are putting in their car, van or truck every day. The same overcharging yards are often the ones that they hired from.

When they're at home this autumn, and derogation is in the news - as it certainly will be, these same hirers will realise just how much they were ripped off on their summer holidays. The holidays that they booked BEFOREthe credit crunch.

Come January these same yards will wonder why repeat bookings aren't up to much :cry and complain that these same broads holiday makers are going elsewhere. No surprises then really.

The few businesses who are overcharging are jeopardising the many who bend over backwards to encourage the holiday trade.

Don't lets think we don't need the holidaymakers on the Broads.

North Norfolk and the Broads would be in dire staits without them.

Does this get the thread back on track?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its what private enterprise is all about, they kill the goose that lays the golden egg. A few years back some yards were taken over by large international companies thinking they would make a quick killing in the Broads holiday industry.

When they sold up and moved on the decline set in. The damage to the industry is probably irreparable. We should be grateful for what still remains, its a shame some are determined to continue the damage. The price of diesel in some locations is just an example of our rip off society.

When they sold up and moved on the decline set in. The damage to the industry is probably irreparable

Presumably those that sold out to 'international' business's were happy to do so either because they ran a successful business and were happy to get a good price for the business or ran an unsuccessful business and were happy to sell and 'get out'.

If it were the former (and I don't see any signs of that today) why not buy it back cheap from the 'international' company and make it successful again, its amazing what can be done. I've seen business's bought back by the same people for a fraction of what they were paid for it. If it were the latter then maybe there was not a profit to be made from the business in the first place.

Seems to me you have to be a fairly committed individual to want to invest in a hire yard. The cost of upgrading an ageing fleet is significant with a diminishing market, increasing costs and a customer base that will have less money in its pockets in the coming years, and the return from which you could probably get from a bank with no risk.

Not a recipe that would attract me, so maybe you have to have the scale of some of the larger companies to make it work or do what Len Funnell is doing and have a diverse range of business's e.g. holiday cottages, Private Marina's, Day Boats and from the sounds of it one or two hire craft.

It is not an easy way to make a living for small yards and I take my hat of to those that do it and do it well, they are truly committed in my view. :clap:clap

Anyway back to Simon's original point........ we are seeing reductions at Supermarkets but then there is competition and they can use fuel as a loss leader. Most yards will have to work through fuel bought at higher price before they are able to order from suppliers at a lower price and pass this onto customers. Of course all of them will have sold stocks bought pre increases to customers at a lower price until this lower price fuel was exhausted won't they :naughty:

Guest flanaguff

Filled my Skoda up today came [Diesel] to £65! Normally get a refund from Royalls on fuel used,intend to cover a lot of water next week! will let you know the situation upon my return! ice sliceice sliceice sliceice slice

This was a politics free post! :-D :-D :-D :-D

Was I imagining things when I drove through Wroxham last Sunday and saw that the Shell garage there had dropped his diesel price from £1.33 ish to £1.31 ish? Given that the oil price has dropped somewhat recently, someone was being honest and passing the benefit on to his customers. However, he was the only garage we saw at this price all the way back to Kent. Am I alone in thinking we are being taken for a bit of a ride here! two gunstwo gunstwo guns

• 3 years later...

Yeah it's true all the volatility in the markets at the moment may even send crude iol prices below $80 but will we see the benefit, not likely. I think their needs to be tighter regulation. When the oil companies say there is a supply problem of some kind the savings should be passed down as they are when the prices go up!

Filled up today at waitrose 75 ltrs = £38 :clap:clap:clap

Life is just a gas !!!!!

It only takes the resurection of an old thread to highlight what the REAL fuel price inflation has been in the last few years!

75 ltrs - £38 (July 25th 2008)

For road fuel in Essex the lowest I know of is £1.33 a litre, so that would now be £99.75 :shocked:shocked:shocked

Right time to get the Land Yacht out I think..

:Sailing:Sailing:Sailing

Martin

The "Life is a gas" phrase should have given you a clue Martin. :naughty:

Might have given me a clue, but my old brain didn't match Waitrose with LPG, or even Red Diesel...

Off on a trip in Greece later in the month, only got to cover 250 -300 miles (Aegean to Corfu)

but I wonder how much fuel I will use...

With sufficient wind from the right directions it shouldn't be too bad, as I will have a rag & stick again,

and try to use the engine as little as possible when sailing.

(just enough to keep the batteries topped up and the beers cold)

Other than the noise, it won't really bother me if I do have to burn a few litres,

the full tank of diesel and a spare jerry-can is included in the charter fee,

but I reckon it won't be more than 20-30 litres anyway.

Be seeing some of you on Saturday at the "Bash"!

Martin

i think this thread should be moved to the hidden cost thread. their is no way on this planet that hire yards are paying theese prices for red diesel. you can buy red diesel from your local garage cheaper... i saw it today at cowfold w/ suseex at 94p per ltr. i have four 45ft fridge box trailers that i run off red diesel and i can assure u i pay no where near 1.35 a ltr inc vat. so whows kidding who. its a real bug bear for me when as a hire boat user i have to pay my fuel bill. i challange any hire fleet operater to prove me wrong.. the bigger the yard the cheaper it gets...

Don't forget that you will be paying less uty on the red for your fridge units Andy, 60% i.e. the propulsion element is charged at full road duty on marine diesel (assuming normal declaration) though I do agree 1.35 a litre for a 60/40 split would be excessive.

We're completely and utterly miffed living here! Every bloomin day same old stuff, rivers, boats, reeds, pubs, fishing, every night on the boat if we choose. It's no good i tell yer! it's murder working only 50 metres from your boat and not being able to go on it. The weather as well gets right on your nerves, always hot and sunny cor i wish i lived in a big city hundreds of miles away ;)

Two images attached make interesting reading re tax take.

Without getting party political you may remember that a few years ago the 'fuel escalator' was introduced as a way of moving prices up as a 'green initiative' this was fairly punitive over a number of years.

Interestingly even though tax has gone up the % of tax per litre has dropped in percentage terms but only as a result of the petrol price increasing significantly. The first image shows that from 1995 fuel prices have increase by 144% and tax has increased by 105% per litre.

Second image shows the pre tax and post tax elements per litre on particularly Diesel you can see how punitive taxes are in the UK v's Europe

Thank goodness the government saw sense on Red and did not apply full duty.

post-79-136713858493_thumb.png

post-79-136713858795_thumb.jpg