Winter Cruising

Gracie

I know there are not many if at all any hire Boats out in the winter but do many of you private Boat owners on here do much winter cruising?

Apart from obvious dangers such as ice, slippery pontoons and the cold it must be wonderful to have the rivers to yourselves, and I would imagine if you have good heating on your Boat it can be lovely and cosy.

The latest in the year that we have hired has been October and that was probably my favourite time, would like to have a cruise in winter, just wondered about the pros and cons.

Grace

Hi Grace

It is possible to hire in winter, some yards have boats available and it also helps if you are a regular with a particular boatyard as they may be willing to help if they know you personally.

We have been hiring in mid December for several years now and it really is without doubt, my favourite time to be out. You are lucky if you see a single boat on the move during the day. You literally have the Broads to yourself.

Make sure that you have a well maintained boat with a good heating system. Care is needed with the domestic batteries – remember to turn lights off when not needed and run the engine when using the inverter. As daylight is limited to around eight hours per day it’s important to get cruising time in – not only to re-charge the batteries but for the hot water too.

River levels are often higher in winter so care is needed when mooring. It can be muddy too.

Take warn clothing and make sure you have a warm duvet at night or take extra blankets.

Plan for water stops. Many yards are open however and water is available at Ranworth among other places. Hoses can freeze though.

Pros??

Peace and quiet, no dayboats, very few people fishing, no problem mooring at hotspots like Horning or Ranworth. Pubs are quieter and people have time to chat. The locals tend to come out of the woodwork in winter. Humpty Dumpty Open weekend. Fabulous winter scenery particularly if it snows or is frosty.

Cons

River levels can be higher. Some parts can freeze e.g. Ranworth, Stalham etc. No bridge pilot service. Water and pump outs can be harder to find particularly down South. Care needed on deck and when mooring if icy. More fuel used with the heating.

But all things considered I think it’s a magical time to be out and I wouldn’t miss it for the world.

cheersbar 

• Like 3

All of the above! the only downside I can think of is the short daylight hours, and if you have a breakdown it can be harder to find help, so make sure your engines in good order and you have a contact number to get help if you need it, apart from that I'd say give it a try, I also love Springtime and night cruising, I think the Broads are one of the most beautiful places at the start of Spring, trees and flowers starting to bloom, wildlife emerging and still not many boats around, I often night cruise and would say it's one thing everyone should try, the Broads are a completely different place by moonlight, no boats around because they are all tucked up for the night, just pick a place where you want to moor up the next day, have a nice little cruise and head for the broad nearest to it and plop a mudweight for the night, then just head for where you want to moor first thing in the morning just when everyone's leaving, I've often been seen out and about at 3am if I can't sleep, I havn't got nav lights on my latest boat but they will be going on this season,,,

Frank,,,, 

• Like 1

Hello Howard,

I fully agree with everthing you mention, it is a great time to be on the water almost alone with all the additional wild life on the Broads.

It is a must to make sure you have a hose pipe on board, a lot of water points have the hoses removed over winter.

Carry a range of comfort foods for any meals you have to make on board.

Make hot water bottles, throws and warm outdoor clothing part of your boat kit.

If the boat you are going on has a shore power hook up, have a number of BA shore power cards in hand, you can order direct from the BA and there is a number of outlet such as the larger boat yards that stock them.

The latest we have been on the water is the second week in December and the earliest the third week in February.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Important points that are rarely mentioned in threads like these.

If cruising at night please remember that more often than not it will be dark. This happens regularly on the broads, more so in the winter.

Also in the winter it tends to be cold, especially when the temperature drops. Nights tend to be colder than days because there is usually a lot less sunshine at night.

If you don't like it when its cold and dark then winter night time navigating really isn't for you.

Should you wish for any further advice, please don't hesitate in asking.    :)

Oh, PS. If you are sightseeing at night it's advisable to use a torch. 

• Like 2

Winter cruising can be magical, the rivers are quiet and the Broads becomes a completely different place. We love it but unfortunately have not been out since November - having sold our old boat we are awaiting delivery of the replacement.

That said the advice given earlier in this thread cannot be emphasised enough. 

We cruise all through the year and only stay in the marina if there is a threat of prolonged freezing conditions.

If we are out when this does happen we try and Moor up on rivers where there is a flow running as these tend not to freeze up as quickly as Staithes and dyes.

Best to be over prepared than not prepared enough as weather and conditions can change so quickly.

Sidestand! you must has met my Mrs, you said over prepared, if we go to the boat just for a day she takes enough stuff for two weeks out, plus there is always a spare Duvet, two hot water bottles, two heaters, without the Eber heating, various hairy warm boots, and you should see what she takes on a cold day,, Oh I forgot her thermal lined Wellies,,,

Frank,,,

Hi

We were on board over the Christmas week and the only problems we found were the lack of fuel/pumpouts over the period close to our moorings.  There were still a number available but not convenient.  Water was still switched on at Loddon and of course we made good use of the BA electrical points.  As mentioned, you need a supply of the £1 cards.  We add to our stock every time we find an outlet.

The next time we are scheduled to be up there is the first week in March,  The last time we have the use of Shadow this year is for two weeks in November, then two weeks the following February.  Lots of warm clothes needed, but it is really quiet and if you are a fisher-person very relaxing.  Some excellent sunrises - if only I remembered the camera!

I think there are some yards who were hiring this Christmas, but they appeared to be just in the North.

All I can say is go for it, but be aware of the need to be more careful especially in the icy weather as we found that not many mooring areas were gritted.

SueH

• Like 1

Sidestand! you must has met my Mrs, you said over prepared, if we go to the boat just for a day she takes enough stuff for two weeks out, plus there is always a spare Duvet, two hot water bottles, two heaters, without the Eber heating, various hairy warm boots, and you should see what she takes on a cold day,, Oh I forgot her thermal lined Wellies,,,

Frank,,,

Totally agree Frank.... if we are away on the boat and we have forgot or need something that we dont have its my fault.

She has to have spare double quilt...just incase...then spare double sleeping bag...just in case then there is the spare hair dryer and straightners...yep youve guessed just incase and now the wifey has just found them Onesie things(look like adult baby grow) and yes 3 or 4 of them are stuffed into the case....or more correctly a TRUNK.

We are normally out for between 3-4 days at a time and for the peace and quiet and to just keep wifey happy its worth letting her pack for a 3 week cruise and take whatever she wants.... its also fun watching her unpack it all and try to get it all in the wardrobes and cupboards and then have to re-packfor the return trip back home.

It makes for such a quiet life ....Steve

Steve! I'd love to find the place that makes these Justin Cases I'd make a fortune selling them, like you my Mrs has loads of them, I think she even has a Justin Case just in case she forgets one, I've seen people take less stuff when they move house than Judi takes for a weekend, do you get the bit ten minutes from the boat, did I lock the door, I'm not sure I locked the windows, did I unplug all the plugs??? drives me mad as she does it every time,, two guns

Frank,,,,

Hi Steve,

Tracy just likes being prepared, the extra buoyancy required to keep the boat floating is worth it. :naughty: :naughty: 

I'm up this weekend if your about.

Hi Martin, I think I will be at the boat Saturday and Sunday ....

Steve! I'd love to find the place that makes these Justin Cases I'd make a fortune selling them, like you my Mrs has loads of them, I think she even has a Justin Case just in case she forgets one, I've seen people take less stuff when they move house than Judi takes for a weekend, do you get the bit ten minutes from the boat, did I lock the door, I'm not sure I locked the windows, did I unplug all the plugs??? drives me mad as she does it every time,, two guns

Frank,,,,

I'm thinking of seeing if the Maersk line will do deliveries Frank.

I'm sure Tracy could pack enough stuff to fill a container or two for the 4 days over easter.

Thanks for the advice, very much appreciated. Winter cruising is on my to do list and after reading some of the posts on here sooner rather than later. 

Extra duvets, woolly hats and gloves, hot water bottles, throws, extra coats and warm clothing, I will probably resemble a Yeti with that lot on Lol, 

Grace

• Like 1

Grace, Hi.

The most wonderful cruise we ever had was betwixt Christmas and NYE several years ago. We hired a boat from Wroxham and the trip up to Coltishall in the morning, at a little above tickover revs, was just magical! We will never forget it!  :kiss

"We are normally out for between 3-4 days at a time and for the peace and quiet and to just keep wifey happy its worth letting her pack for a 3 week cruise and take whatever she wants.... its also fun watching her unpack it all and try to get it all in the wardrobes and cupboards and then have to re-packfor the return trip back home.

It makes for such a quiet life ....Steve"

Steve, Hi.

You must be very trusting... I always pack/unpack/repack my own!   :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

Hi Hockham Admiral

I have to say the stretch of river between Wroxham and Coltishall is for me the most beautiful, as you say magical, I look forward to seeing it in winter time.

May I just add I am nearly upto my 50th post, this may seem a bit sad to some but I am very excited, what happens when you reach the magic number? (note to self, need to get out more Lol)

Grace

• Like 1

Grace! when you get to 50 you get to join the Elite in the members section :naughty:, basically it just lets full members discuss stuff we don't want to talk about in the open forum, I call it Elite because I'm there the rest of them are just rabble :eek: I love the run up to Coltishall but my favourite has always been the River Ant I've done the run from Stalham to Wayford then back up to Ludham a couple of times in the same day and it's different every time,

Frank,,,,

• Like 1

Hi Hockham Admiral

May I just add I am nearly upto my 50th post, this may seem a bit sad to some but I am very excited, what happens when you reach the magic number? (note to self, need to get out more Lol)

Grace

Grace, Hi.

I check frequently on how Members posts are going as they approach 50 (2 have done so in the last few days). When they do reach 50 I put a notice up in the Full Members section asking for a Proposer & Seconder for that person.

We then wait a week so that any dissenters may speak up (I can't remember when this last happened.. and NO, I don't want reminding, please!).

After this week I then change your Title over to "Full Member" which gives you automatic access to the  Full Members section.  

You are then welcomed aboard!   :wave

• Like 1