20 MPH Speed Limits

SueH

It is all over the local news tonight about a number of new 20mph areas that have been brought in, in areas of Bristol.  It appears to cause strong opinions on both sides, as in does it save lives or just become a nuisance, and of course a number of motorists are totally ignoring it. 

Are there similar things happening in other areas.  Do they work?

The roads in our area are particularly bad and have got worse in the recent bad weather so travelling slightly slower may well help stop damage to your vehicle when you find yourself dropping into the ever increasingly large/deep potholes. 

We always say that we know when we have reached Wiltshire because the road network is rubbish and there is an accurate shortage of catseyes.   Goodness knows how much the council would have to pay out if everyone claimed for damage to their vehicles. :cry

SueH

Hi Sue,

We should be lucky to get to the dizzy heights of 20 mph around the suburbs of Sheffield, we have so many speed humps and flow systems, in a small village called Beighton near to where I work there must be between 150 and 200 speed humps.

To be honest the only thing that seems to work is the flashing signs with the sad & happy faces, of course these only work with people who were going to slow down any way.

I have seen some roads in Norfolk that are down to 15 mph, next it will be back to a man walking in front of all cars with a red flag.

One of the main problems in our location is that all town planning and highways departments are run by cyclists. :naughty:

Regards

Alan

In Norfolk, most of the roads are single carriageway and the most effective method of speed control is..................a tractor!

It is indisputable that a pedestrian hit by a car travelling at 20 mph has a good chance of survival. At 30 mph, it's a bit iffy, and at 40 mph it's probably going to be a fatal.

• Like 1

In Norfolk, most of the roads are single carriageway and the most effective method of speed control is..................a tractor!

It is indisputable that a pedestrian hit by a car travelling at 20 mph has a good chance of survival. At 30 mph, it's a bit iffy, and at 40 mph it's probably going to be a fatal.

Ah Paladin, is that those strange things that belt down country lanes and drive all over the grass verges  :mad:

Quite right, mv2 is the answer!

20 x 20 = 400

30 x 30 = 900

40 x 40 = 1600

So, more than twice the energy to dissipate at 30mph and four times the energy at only twice the speed...

(now how do I get the little 2 to go at the top of the v???)  :???::???: :???:

Now this may not be correct but three things I have heard about this are as follows:

1. That when a local authority put in a new speed limit they have to have a Traffic Order to go with it to make it legally enforceable together with the correct signage.  Where I live several residential streets had 20 MPH limits put in without the proper signage as per the Highway Code - but instead on a rectangle sign without a red roundel and people have said the Police cannot enforce the speed limits because of this.

2. Painting speed limits in the middle of the road without also having speed limit signage means the speed limit is not enforceable. This is because the urban limit is 30 MPH and anything over this or under this should be signed.

3. Speedos are very unreliable under 25 MPH – modern ABS sensor Speedos however are, but like breaking performance increases over the years the law still goes on old fashion data and in Court could be argued it would be impossible to accurately stick to 20 MPH.

The above may just be hearsay or it may be true...?

This however is an interesting article about the Police not enforcing the limit:

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/cyclesafety/article3705446.ece

The police seem not to be able to enforce many things LR, speeding, using a phone whilst driving (something I witness a couple of times a week in our village) and there are others I'll wager. That does not make the idea of having the restriction in place redundant as no matter whether one gets "nicked" or not they are still breaking the law. It is not a comfortable situation though I agree and I have never been a supporter of police handing over some of their responsibilities to the local council. Parking is a classic example where we now have total anarchy (well almost). Also I do not like the idea of regulation being enforced by private companies who are by definition businesses who's only interest is profit.

We have a situation in this village where a local farmer drives a huge farming machine dangerously - far, far too fast for the road and space available on the road. The police view? He is not breaking the speed limit so we cannot touch him. Hang on though, what about dangerous/reckless driving? Oh no sir, he is not guilty of that until he actually causes damage, injury or worse!

It is an unfortunate fact of modern day life, the law, by default, works in favour of the perpetrator. And yes I think you are right re the hoops that have to be jumped through to get restrictions put in place.

• Like 1

The yokels here must drive tractors then :-) Although I guess the dustbin men do a fair job in the direction of grass verge destruction. And to be fair so do some of the yokels. The world we live in eh! It almost (note "almost") makes me wish for pavements and kerb stones  :angry: