Hello and some advice please

kathleenp

Thanks for asking Grace - superficially she is great but she is finding it very difficult to come to terms with everthing she has been through so looking forward to some relaxation on the boat when the sun comes out again. We went to pick our summer mooring spot today and looking forward to it.

We have a couple of models from her model academy coming out with us on Saturday for a shoot so any really nice spots anyone can recommend to shoot that wont take long to get to would be great?

We left Wroxham about 9.30 ish and had a very windy stop over at Acle to pick up a friend and got buffeted about for a while, we got to Reedham about 4 ish and stopped for a rest and a bite to eat and got to Brundall for about 7pm so a long day but I think we hit the tides just right which helped :-)

We have a couple of models from her model academy coming out with us on Saturday for a shoot so any really nice spots anyone can recommend to shoot that wont take long to get to would be great?

For some lovely 'onboard' shots, have a look in Surlingham Broad

(no where to land though) which is about 5mins from your mooring

and Brammerton is good for some shots on the green with the woods

in the background or outside the pub, about 40mins away.

(Don't forget to add a photo or two for us)

• Like 1

We have a couple of models from her model academy coming out with us on Saturday for a shoot so any really nice spots anyone can recommend to shoot

I know the perfect spot.....

Only problem is, it is about 3 1/2 hours from your moorings. 

Nice flowers, flowing clear water, with fish that can been seen, very quiet.

All in all the perfect spot for the models to shoot as many pictures as they wish.

I forgot to mention, the 3 1/2 hours travelling time will be by car as boats can't really get up the A1 to my garden. :naughty:

:Stinky

• Like 3

Well I am puting a vote in for the South Broads, the view from the Wherry Hotel down Oulton Broad in a sunset is and can be breathtaking. Also down to Beccles from Burgh St Peter and if you can get through Beccles Old Bridge a trip to Geldeston Locks Inn is a must. There plug done! :naughty:

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I thought I'd just tag onto the bottom of this thread rather than starting a new post. I've not been out much lately as my daughter has been recovering from her operation and making full use of nice weather we 'were' having and taking her friends out in it  !

I went out a little while today with her and I noticed that the boat was listing a little to the starboard.

She filled it up with diesal the other day and water which are on the portside but didnt pump out the loo as not been really using it - could that be the cause ?

one of the arms on the canopy broke as there was a big build up of water on the roof but she said she mopped it all up but I'm assuming some could have leaked through to the bilge? it all seemed to pump out fine when the engine was switched on but that wouldnt be enough to make it about 4" lower on that side?

Any advice appreciated as see guys there every day fiddling about with their boats (sorry guys) and wonder if we should be doing more lol

Hello Kathleen,

Welcome back to the forum and good to hear your daughter is recovering nicely and managing to get down to your boat.

Regarding your issue if you have topped up both the diesel and water it is doubtful that the toilet tank  is the problem. I would look in the bilges to make sure there is not some water collecting somewhere that the bilge pump can not reach.

If you do not find any water anywhere then you will need to put some ballast on the port side.

If the bilge pump does not come on automatically I would be inclined to fit a float switch onto the pumps circuit.

Regards

Alan

Hi Kathleen. From what I remember about the boat, she used to

sit ok so I don't think it needs any ballast adding, although what

you've loaded the cupboards up with may have altered things a bit  :eek:

On our boat, the diesel tank is on the port side but the water storage

tank and both toilet tanks are on the starboard side and she will sit

lop sided unless I keep on top of things  :rolleyes:  :D

As for your bilge pump, were you plugged in to shore power? if not,

after all the rain that we have had, may have switched the pumps on

quite a bit and flattened your batteries hence why the pump started

up when you started your engine.

Something you need to keep an eye on! ESPECIALLY during the

autumn and winter months if she stays afloat and not lifted out.

Oh! And welcome back  :wave

Good news about your daughter!!

Now where are some photo's of you enjoying the boat :naughty:

• Like 1

One thing that I forgot to say (Senior moment) is that as your

starboard side dips down, so your port side will lift!

This means that it is only listing by 2" and not 4". (see-saw effect)

It does make it seem worse than it really is though. That is

one of the problems with these 'sport' type cruisers I'm afraid.

Hope that helps.

Another welcome! Kathleen.

I see that I have missed the original dates & subsequent events, sorry. Nevertheless I'll leave my comments and hope that you enjoy the Broads as much as I do.

Personally I would go for a Broads cruiser on the Broads.

Handling with one engine is less easy than with two but on the Broads a boathook, a length of rope and a willing, helpful crew soon makes up for that minor shortcoming.

Strowager & I have had many good natured debates on the suitability of sports cruisers on the Broads so I don't intend to extend that one, despite the entertainment value to a some, other than to say that I am undoubtedly right ;), a Broads boat is best for the Broads! 

Sports cruisers, I must admit, can be very smart boats. Twice as many engines to maintain though! Being based at Oulton Broad the sea is on my doorstep so I wouldn't say no but I do know that my wife wouldn't come to sea with me again. Last time was rough and that was her firmly declared last time! Actually I didn't think it was that rough!

Just to clarify JM, it is a 'Sports type' cruiser with only one engine

and they have had it since last year.

It was moored briefly behind us before they moved it to Brundall. 

If memory serves correctly, it was a Barnes Falcon around 27ft long.

They rock from side-to-side easily and are not as stable as a

true broads cruiser hence my comment about the way they may

have filled the cupboards  B) and the tanks etc.

Thanks, BB. Quite a few Tremlett's sport cruiser hulls on the Broads, for example, so not unusual. Yes, you are right about trim on what, I suspect, is a semi V hull. A little bit of ballast in the hull might be worth considering although I suspect Barnes would have considered that.