5A 34B ?

I have my boat safety coming up in July and will be getting new fire extinguishers, so far so good.

5A 34B, 13A 70B, I've searched on line but either found people selling extinguishers or pages and pages of technical gobble-de-gook that if I could understand it, I wouldn't need it in the first place.

Can anyone please tell me what any of that means.

The number relates to the size of fire that would be extinguishable (the higher the number the bigger the fire).

The letter relates to the class of fire e.g.  A is wood, B is flammable liquid.

The BSS examiner won’t expect you to know this  :)  Just make sure your fire extinguisher meets the minimum requirements.

• Like 1

Martin! Screwfix do both sizes, I think your first one is 8A/34B not 5A/34B basically ones a 1kilo and the other is 2 kilo, I've used Screwfix for years for mine and never had a problem, prices aren't bad either,,

Frank,,,,,

Dotto, Frank............Or Ditto!

Edited by Hockham Admiral
Senior moment!

Thanks Paladin/Frank,

I guessed it might be something like that as I found the "A" "B" "C" "D" ratings but didn't know what the number was.

That seems to be the problem with internet searches, you're either directed to adverts, or pages so technical they might as well be in Chinese.

I looked up prostate cancer last year and the top result was "buy prostate cancer at ebay" amazing what you can buy online.

you will need two extinguishers with (from memory) 13a 34b. so a 5 + an 8 gets the 13 or 2 x8 would exceed the requirement.  To make life easier when near by call in at Brian ward or aquafax and ask them for the right ones, haggle a little and see if you can get some discount then they wont be far off a screwfix price, you also are left feeling happier that you have not just given more money to the B&Q group!

• Like 1

Have to agree Mark! I much prefer my money going to Broads based company's and a lot of them will match web prices, I own a Hampton 25 and carry 1x2kilo and 2x1kilo extinguishers plus the fire blanket, I was told I only need the 2kilo and one 1kilo but they were quite cheap so I got an extra one, 

Frank,,,,

• Like 1

If all else fails Alan I can always hit the Wife with the spare one, I thought you only got back seat drivers in cars, Oooh no! not on my boat!
I'm beginning to think the half of the BSC testers either interpret the rules how they see them or in some cases don't really check stuff,,
When we bought the Hampton, it had a brand new certificate, when we first used the newish oven it had yellow flames and after 5 minutes it kept going out, I checked the paperwork it was the same cooker tested and it passed, I downloaded the fitting instruction and fault sheet and found that it should have had a 25mm air gap under the cooker, ours was sitting on the base, I raised it up and it's worked perfectly ever since, if it was checked properly it should have been an instant fail, I know yellow flame means CO, on my daughters boat same thing brand new BSC, I took one look at the electrics and knew it should never had passed, it was a fire just waiting to happen, luckily after 30 years of owning boats, I tend to know what's safe and what isn't, and being hands on normally know how to fix it, what worry's me is people buying their first boat and putting all their trust in the BSC, for me the BSC is like an MOT only valid until the tester is out of sight or you leave the forecourt, I know I could have and probably should have reported the testers but I know someone who did and ended up opening a big can of worms, very expensive worms with all the stuff he had to change and lots of things that had to be individually passed before he could move onto the next bit,,,,

Frank,,,,

I have no idea how BSC works, but hope all the hire yards are properly tested. I had to deal with the NIC for ECA for decades, and every year their inspector had a different interpretation of what was acceptable and what was not, right down to having to use dome headed screws in conduit boxes for fixing!

I always wonder about the MOT though. Thankfully not a worry for me, as I get a new car every three years.

The joys of regulations!