The Goose goes to Burnham on Crouch In March

Tugarchie

We set of at 5.30am near the top of the tide, as it was a very low tide 4.1m at Burnham

As we got under way we only just had enough water to get out of the hole that the goose has made for her self, pushing out over it and out into the River Roach.

As we progressed alone the Roach, the Sun just started to rise, it was flat calm with only the hint of a breeze, later when the sun was higher, it became a problem, as we were steering straight into it, and it was still low, and the reflection on the water was blinding, I had to steer a zigzag course, so I could see the maker buoys, the only other vessels out were a few small fishing boats, which slowed to pass us, and then sped off.

With the out going tide pushing us along,  we were doing 7.8 knots according to the Garmin Marine Sat Nav.

As we entered the River Crouch we started to get the sea swell, just a little, now pushing against the tide, we were down to 5 knots, we continued along the river until we got to the Burnham Yacht Marina, we have been here before, when we came round from Leigh on sea last year, so we decided as the tide was dropping fast, and we don't know the river that well, we would stop here for the day.

This is the RNLI Station at Burnham.

View from The Goose out into the river.

View of the gantry for lifting the boats out of the pool.

post-20018-0-58706100-1394446368_thumb.j

We had a walk along the river to Burnham, where we tried to find a pub that had out side seating to have a meal, as we had the dogs with us, but it was so busy that we gave up and went back to the boat, and had something to eat onboard.

post-20018-0-21950200-1394448388_thumb.j

We left at 3.45 to return to the mooring, first I had to turn her round, as I let go the lines the breeze just slowly pushed her away from the jetty, as we clear the piles holding the jetty in place I started my do my 3 point turn, all was going well until I found out that I had no reverse gear, I had to jump off the bow, and fend her off the other jetty, but as I was going very slow, it was just a gentle push off, and jump back on, I continued to turn in forward gear, and got her head round and left the Marina.

The trip back was spoiled for me, I was worrying all the way back about the gearbox, and how would I manage to moor her up in the harbour when we got back, and what if I have a problem on the way.

It was a little bit more breezy, but was still fairly calm, apart from the wake from the high powered fishing boats that seem to love getting as close to us a possible, and ignoring the rules by passing on both sides of us, and in one case doing a 360* round us, as if we were some side show, well I you don't see 44 Buccaneer on the River Crouch too often, But that's about to change.

Once back into the River Roach it was again a calm, but again troubled by the sun, this time it was setting, but same thing, zig zaging to see buoys, as we got back to the mooring we had the same thing pushing over the Mud to get back to our mooring, a little harder to get over this time as the tide was lower than when we left, it took a lot of manoeuvring, still had no reverse, but we just got her in, as darkness fell on us.

:pirate Gary & Jill

• 1 month later...

Update on the reversing problem, it seems that there maybe something round the prop that is stopping it from propelling the boat in reverse, or the prop is loose on the shaft, and when in reverse it is just spinning to the end of the shaft,  so we are going to put her on the hard stand, and have a look, there is nothing wrong with the hydrolic gearbox, and the shaft turns freely in both directions.

If anyone else has any ideas, please let us know.

:pirate Gary & Jill