East Coast Diary

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

With the wind being very strong we had a marina weekend to catch up on a few jobs. Some planned some unplanned and those planned going not quite to plan :cry

I can warn you on the basis of two relatively new boats with different engine manufacturers serviced by dealer agents for the last two years under warranty agreements - check your fuel filters.

When we serviced Kingfisher we were amazed that clearly the engine filter had not been changed and this weekend when I looked at Kiki's (serviced June) it clearly had not been changed as the paint was unmarked and uncracked on the fittings.

Kiki's primary filter had showed significant sediment in the glass bowl and made me more than a little nervous of sea work without a filter change. While the Separ primary is very well engineered it is incredibly fiddly with four screws that have to depress a spring mechanism which in itself is bad enough but oddly on Kiki which largely has been well thought out with quality fittings this was a weak link as it has only 2.4cms between the top of the filter and the floor above. I would not like to have changed that at sea - correction I could not have changed that at sea.

A poor and fiddly seal meant we changed the primary and engine filter to find that air was getting into the system, luckily my tutor (David) diagnosed some grease around the seal and and some serious suction with a Pela (what wonderful tools these are) a spray of Diesel or two in the engine room and we were back in business. We emerged from the engine room having 'sprayed it all over' (Diesel not Brut) and retired to The Shipwreck for recuperation cheers

I intend fitting a Racor or something similar with a T Bar single fixing for quick access, I am not going through that again.

Apologies for the poor Photo's - point & squirt time :oops:

post-79-136713415146_thumb.jpg

On my return from a wander I found David up to his eyes in a normal boating problem - I think you may guess what :?

He had a recall on a certain part of Kingfisher which gave out before the replacement could be fitted - the clue is in the disposable gloves :o:cry::cry::(

post-79-136713415428_thumb.jpg

We had planned a trip to Tollesbury on the Blackwater over this weekend, the synoptic's had looked promising then not so etc.

We had our concerns about the conditions there having been gales on Wednesday with some residual and a forecast that promised F5 S to SE - yuk.

We decided to head out and 'have a look' - out at Languard the wind definitely had some East in it and on the way to Medusa Kingfisher in front of us was doing an impression of the Big Dipper and Kiki the Bucking Bronco :o While we could have had an uncomfortable 2.5 hours down to Tollesbury the forecast for Sunday when we would need to return was still not good.

A coastal conflab was had and a decision made that we would abort to fight another day.

Spinning for Bass seemed altogether more attractive :love

post-79-136713415727_thumb.jpg

We returned to Shotley to travel by car to Tollesbury for a meal we had been included with Shotley Sailing Club - us being the Dark Side section :naughty:

On arriving at Tollesbury who should we bump into but Ellen MacArthur walking her two English Sheepdog puppy's. After giving her a few sail trimming tips :liar:liar:? we found our host yacht that had arranged drinks and Canapés - all very civilised.

Then ensued a meal in the yacht club.

A most cordial evening.

post-79-136713416009_thumb.jpg

post-79-136713416017_thumb.jpg

Great to read of your trips.Sailed that part of the coast a few times and have fond memories of the Walton Backwaters etc.Although the facilities are better ,I feel they have spoilt Brightlingsea with the new marina.Sailed there 40 years ago when the family lived there .As you say there are nemerouse places to go in a short space of time.Keep posting . cheers:wavecheersbar:Stinky

“some days are diamond, some days are rust†we seem to be getting more than our fair share of oxidisation and not enough compacted carbon for the last few years. Let’s hope the bank holiday weekend has something better to offer.

Whoopsie! Hair dryers at the ready!

I do hope you keep this thread going Perry - it's all good stuff and I am sure I am not the only person finding it very interesting.

Hi Perry,

Don't stop posting, I for one love the pics from far off lands, allows me to sit in the office and dream of what is out there to discover.

Now the starboard engine appears to be fine it is not going to be long before Clandestine noses her way down your end.

Looks like the four of you are finding plenty to keep you occupied.

Ian

Hey not without me you don't! :norty:

I think a nice test run down to Shotley is called for next year - though best be sure not to warn the natives or they might disappear off and hide in one of these new locations they are exploring. How fast is Clandestine?

Simon,

I am told 35 Knots but have not tried her out yet, a sensible cruise is more like 22 though and unless anyone wants to come along and pay for the fuel then 22 is about where I will be.

Seem to remember it was not so long ago you were agonising over the running costs of a couple of 120s, now you are all set for a few hours at sea with a pair of 200s under your feet.

Dangerous things boats, trouble is they empty your bank account by distracting you for a very short amount of time with a lot of fun.