Copy & Paste

…and XP + Firefox.

JTF, at what point does the post fail? Can you paste into the dialogue box, but the post doesn't then appear in the topic? Are you using the Windows Copy/Paste or the little buttons at the top of the 'Reply to this topic' dialogue box?

This last bit was done using the 'Paste from Word' button above...."and XP + Firefox."

Ahhh, IE8 using Windows7.

I tried Firefox and Chrome but didn't like them.

Edited to add... I say IE8, but I'm not sure now. I've just found out that IE12 has been released and there seems to be an IE2014.

Is there any information on these? and how can I tell what I've got at the moment?

To find the version of IE (and most other programs), in the toolbar, click on 'Help'. From the drop-down menu that appears, click on 'About [program name]' and this will give information about the program, including the version.

I prepared this in MS Word and used the Windows Copy/Paste method and it works using IE8 and Win XP. I don’t see why it should be any different with Win 7.

JTF, perhaps you could post the precise method you are using, step-by-step.

Ok, I'm on IE11, I didn't know that !!!

to copy and paste, I go into word, highlight all I want to copy and right click. I select "copy"

Then I go into the "reply to this topic", click on the area where we type our text, then right click on the mouse. The option for pasting is in pale grey and isn't selectable. That's as far as I get.  :(

Hello JTF,

On the task bar above this message if the paste will not work, click on the icon top row left hand side (it looks like a switch) if you click on this the smiley goes grey and you can then paste.
After the copied text is in the message you can click on the switch again to reactivate the smiley.

Regards

Alan

Ok, I'm on IE11, I didn't know that !!!

to copy and paste, I go into word, highlight all I want to copy and right click. I select "copy"

Then I go into the "reply to this topic", click on the area where we type our text, then right click on the mouse. The option for pasting is in pale grey and isn't selectable. That's as far as I get.  :(

At the point where you want to paste the text, and you find that the paste option is greyed out, try pressing control-V instead.

Paste is often disabled for one reason or another on many websites, but control-V usally overrides it.

JTF, may I suggest you try again, using a different browser. I've been experimenting and find that I can log in to the site using IE8 and Win XP, but I can't log in using IE11 and Win7., which suggests to me that there is a serious incompatibility with IE11.

I have no trouble logging in with Firefox on either OS though.

Right, so given that IE11 does everything I want it to, with the exception of this site, what I need to do is have this site open up using a different browser form the others. Is that possible?

Yes indeed.

Different browsers can co-exist quite happilly on the same machine.

The only caveat is that only one can be the "default browser".

...meaning that one is set to open automatically when a hyperlink is clicked in an email for instance.

You could leave IE as the default, and install say, Firefox for visiting the NBF.

You could then make the NBF the home page in Firefox, then the site will open in it whenever you click the Firefox icon in the menu or on the desktop.

(Internet Explorer...  arrgghh..... :naughty: )

Neither Chrome nor Firefox did the things I wanted, that's why I went back to IE, it did everything I needed. Ok, now I've found something it doesn't do, I shall try a work-round.

My sister uses Chrome, so I'm aware that it still doesn't do what I want (not something I'm prepared to talk about in open forum)  I shall load up firefox and use it just for this forum.

JTF, to choose your Home Page in Firefox:

1. Bring up the NBN site on the page you want to make your Home Page;
  2. In the toolbar, click on Tools, then Options (in the drop down menu);
  3. In the box that opens, click on ‘General’ at the top of the box;
  4. In the ‘General’ box, make sure that after “When Firefox starts:” you can see ‘Show my home page’. If it says, ‘Show a blank page’ or ‘Show my windows and tabs from last time’, click on the little black triangle at the right-hand end of that box and select ‘Show my home page’ from the drop-down menu;
  5. Click on ‘Use Current Page’. You’ll then see the url of the page you’re currently on show up in the box next to ‘Home Page’;
  6. Click on ‘OK’ and that’s it, all done 

You see my point... It's easier just to use Chrome of Firefox for everything.

A lot of sites don't work properly on IE11, believe me.

..and so many  security weaknesses too. :shocked

Microsoft always manages to have their cake and eat it too.

They strike fear into the hearts of their Windows customers when they "withdraw support" for XP, and yet their Internet Explorer browser range has always had the biggest security hazards of any web browser software.

Found the "tools" I hadn't got the appropriate toolbar showing.  now to test...

Just a quick test, and if it works I owe loads of people pints!

Yippeeeee yes it works. .net is my homepage on firefox. I shall take a breath now before putting firefox as default.

• 4 months later...