BREYDON BY BATHTUB

10B

Having read John, Hockam Admiral's, recent post in "A few days on Friday Girl" about crossing breydon in bad weather it has raised a thought that has been on my mind.

We have been over Breydon many times, good weather and bad weather.

Our previous boats have all been closed in at the bow.

We now have a Bounty 28 Bathtub with a large open bow well.

What has been my concern is that as seen in John's photo the water is going right over the top of the boat.

In a closed in boat the water runs straight off but with the Bathtub the water goes into the well.

Can the bilge pump clear this water quick enough.

I have seen that Friday Girl only has a small well and a cover that goes over and still leaves the windscreen clear, John did you have the cover on during this crossing?

Any comments or experiences please.

We now have a Bounty 28 Bathtub with a large open bow well.

What has been my concern is that as seen in John's photo the water is going right over the top of the boat.

In a closed in boat the water runs straight off but with the Bathtub the water goes into the well.

Can the bilge pump clear this water quick enough.

I have seen that Friday Girl only has a small well and a cover that goes over and still leaves the windscreen clear, John did you have the cover on during this crossing?

Any comments or experiences please.

FG's well is big enough, 10B, but we did indeed have the cover over. The reason I got up close behind the hire boat was because I was concerned as to whether the press-studs would cope with the gallons of water coming aboard.   :shocked :shocked :shocked

Try pulling up a 2-gallon bucket of river water and chucking it in your well; then do it again and again. you'll soon see if the bilge pump will cope or not!   :Stinky

(Ours drains overboard and I did indeed do just this before I would venture across Breydon in an adverse sea-state!)

(Ours drains overboard and I did indeed do just this before I would venture across Breydon in an adverse sea-state!)

Our drain hole is connected to a plastic pipe, I wonder if this drains out or goes into bilge?

Will check.

We have a cover, but it does not have windows in it.

My memory takes me back to 1966 when we were lucky enough to have hired the "latest in broads boats".

We had a Carribbean  from F.B.Wilds at Horning.

We had done the south side and were heading back over Breydon when the weather suddenly decided to blow a gale straight into our faces. It became so rough that we moved everything off the worktops and cooker and stowed it on the floor.

As we hit a wave the water went up in the air like a wall and then the wind blew it straight back at the windscreen. On the early models you could open the screens vertically and they dropped inside the body moulding   (very nice on hot days).

As the water hit the screen it ran down and into the recess where the window dropped.  The first we realised this was when my brother pointed out that the floor in the saloon was "rather wet".

The water was coming out of the bottom of the panel which housed the steering wheel and other controls.

Problem was soon sorted but we didn't have a dry towel for quite a while!!

HAPPY DAYS!!

• Like 1

I recently found these videos, one featuring a Bath Tub crossing Breydon in the rough stuff - coped rahter well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2770O4yEeco&list=PLFmjxDPg8xfXcPWKr2LI020dVtS0w2uI0&feature=share

You can see the other videos in the playlist here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFmjxDPg8xfXcPWKr2LI020dVtS0w2uI0

• Like 1

Hi Andy,

Thank you for posting the video.

I guess you did not have to pass through Yarmouth at slack water?

Regards

Alan

Hello Alan its not me crossing Breydon,I only lifted the clip off youtube

Andy

• 2 weeks later...