Richardson's Challenger

Hi Everyone

Been lurking a while, but just joined proper now. :)

We are returning to the Broads in 2014 and have hired Challenger, as we are bringing along my sister and her two boys - there will be 7 of us in total, and wanted a bit of space!

We got to have a quick poke about one of the Challenger's courtesy of the yard while on holiday this year - but the question I have is;

With a stated 9' air draft, is it likely that I will be unable to navigate under Ludham bridge at anytime other than low water?  This class of boat obviously goes under, as I saw loads of Challengers and Champagne's while out in April.

If anyone has hired her, I'm open to your experience if only to put my mind at rest!

Thanks all.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

We have never hired on the Broads other than day craft to get beyond Wroxham. At 9 foot 8 inches with the canopy and masthead down Ranworth Breeze is unable to get under Ludham Bridge.

There is around a foot variation on the tides at Ludham Bridge but this all depends on how much rain we have had, I have known people that who have their moorings above Ludham Bridge who have stuggled to get back there when their clearence is tight.

Have a look at this link regarding tidal variation on the bridges:-

http://www.norfolkbroadsboathire.biz/Navigating%20bridges.asp

Regards
Alan

I don't think you'll only get them through at low water but you would have to keep an eye on it as they probably wont just fit under any time, and re-building the superstructure on another one might see you a little unpopular?!

Dan

• Like 1

Welcome Stuart. In practice on the north broads the tidal rise and fall is only a few inches I suspect it might be any peculiar high water conditions that would cause an issue. I remember October 2010 when Wroxham Bridge was closed and I suspect there could have been some difficulties at Ludham then.

• Like 1

Maybe I am wrong, but, IF conditions did not allow that craft to get through Ludham Bridge, would Richos not offer a transfer to a similar sized craft that can get through said bridge? Just a thought.

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

Hi Stuart, 

we very rarely get a problem with this model at Ludham, if it looks tight and you are unsure then give us a call and we will make sure you get safely through....

• Like 8

Hi Stuart, 

we very rarely get a problem with this model at Ludham, if it looks tight and you are unsure then give us a call and we will make sure you get safely through....

... That's when Richardson's send out the T.A.R.T (Tactical Airdraft Reduction  Team) - bunch of weighty blokes to get onboard and get her through ;)

• Like 6

Hi Stuart, 

And that, Clive, sums up why you have so many satisfied customers here on the NBN!  :clap :clap :clap

• Like 3

Thanks all, for the replies and welcomes!

That's put my mind at rest!  Robin - the T.A.R.T team may give reason for regular calls to Clive and his team by my wife and my sister!!! ;)

Clive, many thanks, no doubt I shall be out with my tape measure and spirit level even at the lowest of tides, such is my paranoia.  Although when the pilot took us through Wroxham with not a lot showing on the gauges with Broadsman in April, I didn't bat an eyelid (as I was not helming!!!).

To Hockham Admiral - I concur with the service we have received from Richardson's - probably why we keep going back!

Thanks again all.

Stuart

• Like 1

I don't think you'll only get them through at low water but you would have to keep an eye on it as they probably wont just fit under any time, and re-building the superstructure on another one might see you a little unpopular?!

Dan

Hmmm, that suggests damage has been done before? :cry

• 10 months later...

By way of an update, having now returned home from our week aboard Challenger 1, we had no issues with Ludham bridge.  The chap who showed us the boat explained that generally, the BA will build a little 'leeway' into their height gauges, as do the boatyard with the boat air drafts, thus ensuring that only the highest of high tides will present an issue.

We all had a great week.  getting overnight moorings at first attempt at Gays, Horning and Ranworth without trouble.  Being a tall boat, she does tend to get taken by the wind, but it handles well, and we had no issues, aside from my cackhandedness passing a reluctant captain pulling up at the meer sight of a boat with a sail, having to take evasive action and giving the cruiser in front a little 'kiss'!

Weather was good, and we tasted the fayre at;

The White Horse - service was lacking sadly, perhaps a bad night?

The Bridge Inn - the usual excellent service

Fur & Feather - nice food, but the dining area we thought was 'soulless'

Swann Inn - turned up having booked to be told there would be a 45 minute wait and a lot of the menu was unavailable.  Food was however excellent (what was available) and the waitresses were on the ball - we were at one point ready to walk out...

The Ship South Walsham - bloody marvellous - food was to die for, nice atmosphere and good service.

Marco Pierre White @ Wayford - not bad, nice to eat lunch in the sun, pricey though.

Richardson's, as ever had the boat ready and waiting.

There were 8 of us on board, and it didn't feel cramped.  Had the heating on a lot, and still got £80 back!

Oh, and I started a new job in February which, whilst a significant drop in pay, I enjoy the work, so all is well that ends well! :)

• Like 7

If you want more detail on our dining experiences do ask.  The Ship was, without a doubt, the standout eaterie.  The food was to a very high standard, did not take forever to arrive either.  Next up for food quality is a toss up between the White Horse and the Swan.  Both had issues which put a dampener on the evenings.

The Bridge is next up, can't fault it, good honest pub grub and attentive service.

The Fur & Feather I was a bit disappointed with to be honest.  It's almost as if it does not know what it wants to be.  A restaurant but where you order at the bar.  Food was nice, but the atmosphere was like being in the departure lounge in the film the Langoliers - if you get what I mean?

Marco's place was nice.  I liked the interior decor, what I saw of it, perhaps a little out of place for its location.  Food was nice, but the kids pasta was Gnocce Bolognese, which I thought a clumsy combo being the potato pasta is so filling.

Oh, we found the water key for the boat amongst out luggage on return home.  Oops! :)

Sorry Clive - it's in the post recorded delivery!

One thing I will mention - Richardson's have produced an excellent eating out guide.  It's missing a pub though - guess which one?

Now, there is either a good reason for this, or perhaps something to address on the next print run.....?

shouldn't have worried about the  water key...

There are a couple of places not in but not sure why, there are a couple of reasons...

neither ludham pub is in there...

Glad you had a good time..

I looked in at the Kings Head on the Friday before we picked up the boat, but I immediately deemed it too loud and dismissed it as an option.  Yet to try the Dog, but it looks a bit of a 'biker' pub from the outside, not sure why?

Old before my time I guess! :)

• Like 1